Comments

One of the changes we were investigating for Odyssey 1.1 but had to drop due to time was adjustments to the models of half the command ships. The goal would be to move them over to hulls that match the T1 combat BC that shares their weapon type, creating some more variety, opening up options for the art guys in the future, and making the differences between the command ships more intuitive.

This is something that first got discussed by us in this Features and Ideas thread. Feedback was overwhelmingly positive but obviously there are strong feelings about a lot of this stuff. The Sleipnir in particular creates very strong feelings for me.

The plan is:

Absolution becomes a Carthum Harbinger
Eos becomes a CreoDron Myrmidon
Nighthawk becomes a Kaalakiota Drake
Sleipnir becomes a Boundless Creations Hurricane

This change would affect the visuals of each of those four ships, as well as manufacturing and invention for them. For that reason I want to get it announced as early as possible.

This change would not affect the stats or bonuses of the ships at all. Any changes to those are an entirely different discussion.

Here’s a gallery of screenshots I took of the new graphics from our internal test server:

I know this is going to generate a lot of strong feelings due to nostalgia and I share many of those feelings. However I truly think these new versions look amazing and that in the long run this is a change that people will look back on as an obvious positive.

Let us know what you think.

– CCP Fozzie

Game Designer | Team Five-0

1. ccpfail

FUUUUUUUUUUUU ccp they look better now

October 3, 2013 at 1:59 pm Reply
  2. -_-

Perhaps I misread, but must it be an either or? I want them all, the old and new! ^_^ seems like looking forward or back is obvious choice, make old die hard fans happy and scratch the itch for new ships at the same time! win win eh?

October 3, 2013 at 1:59 pm Reply
  3. OHNOEZ

NOOOOOO, not ma nighthawk!!!!11111eleven

October 3, 2013 at 2:00 pm Reply
  4. Caldari Commander

LEAVE MY FUCKING NIGHTHAWK ALONE!!! I DO NOT FLY A FUCKING DRAKE!!!

October 3, 2013 at 2:04 pm Reply
    1. Dumbledore

Commander, will you disregard a direct order!!?

October 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm Reply
    2. -_-

Sir, our nighthawk is going down!
      “Impossible, nothing can get through my shields!”
      Sir seriously she’s going down!
      “E gads! a doomsday device!?”
      No sir, much worse……. CCP devs
      “O_O…… :*(“

October 3, 2013 at 2:51 pm Reply
      1. dogee

“Impossible, nothing can get through my shields!”

FUCKING LOL’D

October 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm Reply
  5. Aral

omg that harb 0_o

October 3, 2013 at 2:06 pm Reply
  6. CCP DerPenner

Lol, they took away the good old Sleip model…
    Can someone explain tome what’s the point of all this, except some fucking lack of activity in the right sense of things?

October 3, 2013 at 2:19 pm Reply
  7. Wut?

As if there aren´t enough Drake and Hurricane hulls flying around already. What the fuck are they thinking???!!!

October 3, 2013 at 2:29 pm Reply
  8. sc0rp

very bad idea…

October 3, 2013 at 2:29 pm Reply
  9. Billbo

Is the Art Dept really that fucking bored??? “We have no time for modular POS’s” but this shit?

October 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm Reply
    1. Snargle

Because the Art department is writing the POS code. Moron.

October 3, 2013 at 6:07 pm Reply
      1. Billbo

Mongoloid learn to fucking read, nothing gets implimented without avialable resources from all areas within CCP, they have stated this in the past summit minutes.

October 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm Reply
        1. Kettle meet Pot

Mongoloid, learn to fucking spell. Implimented? Avialable?

October 3, 2013 at 9:11 pm Reply
          1. Meep

If you have no valid arguments, argue with grammar. Clever.

October 3, 2013 at 10:06 pm
        2. Snargle

So, you literally think that it takes hardcore coding man hours to swap art assets around. You are seriously this retarded. Wow.

October 3, 2013 at 10:34 pm Reply
          1. Simon pieman

Where did he say that?

October 3, 2013 at 10:37 pm
          2. Snargle

Where he suggests that somehow the art department is required for the POS update.

October 3, 2013 at 11:08 pm
          3. Lolwut?

So you think new UI elements and systems are designed by the coders exclusively?

October 4, 2013 at 11:25 am
      2. Curse

They don’t even have to create new models, they are already there. In form of the models created for the Create a Starship contest on deviantart 3 years ago.

They just need to open their eyes and kick more backward orientated minds out. and they need to start working for the money we pay them, instead of recycling crap.

October 4, 2013 at 10:28 am Reply
    2. Curse

They don’t even have to created new models, but can use those that were created in the Create A Starship contest 3 years ago; with the consent of the creators, naturally.

CCP really needs to start working for the money we pay them and not recycle obvious junk and sell it as awesome new content.

October 4, 2013 at 10:32 am Reply
  10. ASDF

Oh nice, a new Nighthawk…look it´s a Drake! So cool! Fuck this shit, they must be out of their minds. Seems like the art department does not have enough workload. So they let their volunteers play around with reskins instead of letting them make coffee.

October 3, 2013 at 3:05 pm Reply
  11. Question

So are we getting a new class with the old command ship hulls ?

October 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm Reply
    1. Snargle

Can you read? The old command ship hulls are still in use, the Damnation, Claymore, Vulture, and Astartes aren’t changing.

October 3, 2013 at 5:50 pm Reply
  12. iskbot#1337

no ring mining, no modular POS´s, no explorable sleeper buildings, no meaningful hacking and analyzing rework … but we can make a nighthawk to a drake and a sleipnir to a hurricane.

i would also make them pink to differ them better from the navy versions.

October 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm Reply
    1. alx

The new structures they are adding will evelve to a new POS somehow… I hhope…

October 3, 2013 at 5:13 pm Reply
  13. Soulxlight

Ummm seriously wtf ? This is dumb. Spend time on something useful and leave hull models alone. Do we seriously need another reskin ? If this was going to happen you might as well not have introduced those dumb navy versions of ships. It isn’t even Nostalgia talking . . . this change is pointless and stupid. Who cares what the ships look like ? Fix Poses, fix the stupid undock TiDi for a 70 man fleet, implement an auto node booster for large fleet engagements, fix one of the many bugs I and others have reported. Any of this stuff is more important than visual neo-incarna type changes. I love the majority of the tweaks given ships to rebalance them, ditto for blop battleship changes to jump range etc . . . but these visual changes are getting old fast and does nothing for the game.

Tl;Dr

Stop Neo-Incarna visual changes and get on with tweaks and serious feature introduction. Still waiting for a real expansion since the last one was Apocrypha.

October 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm Reply
    1. indy

^this

October 5, 2013 at 12:27 pm Reply
  14. Jaime Gomes

Who the fuck comes up with these ideas? that what i wanna know.

October 3, 2013 at 3:45 pm Reply
    1. CCP DerPenner

Some Fozzy shaped guy.

October 3, 2013 at 4:19 pm Reply
  15. idle passerby

Game development has got to be the most difficult job in the world when it comes to communicating with customers. Because gaming customers have got to be the most vile, hateful, impatient, and overall myopic creatures on Earth.

October 3, 2013 at 4:09 pm Reply
    1. CCP DerPenner

Lol, great “developement! One rly can’t imagine how much work and philosophy is needed to put some red stripes on a Drake. Can you imagine the brainstorming, the heat, the magic?

October 3, 2013 at 4:20 pm Reply
      1. idle passerby

Keep reinforcing my point. You’re doing it right

October 3, 2013 at 4:53 pm Reply
        1. WHAT?!?!

The most difficult part of game development the balance of making good profit and keeping the customer happy. CCP don’t do too badly with the balancing act compared to the scum that are EA.

October 3, 2013 at 11:15 pm Reply
          1. Dirk Hardpeck

How does that compare to the scum that is your mom

October 4, 2013 at 8:43 pm
          2. Simon pieman

Now this made me chuckle +1 sir even if very childish.

October 6, 2013 at 4:00 pm
    2. Nope

Might it be because they actually care for the games they play? If you want to suck corporate dick and don´t criticize certain developments go and play some Battlefield 4.

October 4, 2013 at 11:29 am Reply
  16. alx

Yes!!!! YES!!!! AWESOME!!!! Finally a myrm tech 2.. and the harbringer!!!! Awesome!!!!

October 3, 2013 at 5:15 pm Reply
  17. Danny Payne

Really think the devs recently are having a race to see how much they can piss the community off 1st!

October 3, 2013 at 5:30 pm Reply
  18. Dick Hauser

Why?

October 3, 2013 at 5:50 pm Reply
  19. Titus Veridius

STOP FUCKING USING SPACE CAMO. STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

Seriously. Space camo is a crutch. Stop it.

October 3, 2013 at 6:48 pm Reply
    1. Shadowblade1436

but, but… how will they hide in the space forest or jungles? 😛

October 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm Reply
    2. Spunky Solo

SECONDED. Space CAMO is stupid and ruins the fantasy of being in a space ship. ALmost as much as the awful concept of sound in space.

Both break the mood.

October 3, 2013 at 11:08 pm Reply
      1. well..

well the paint job does seem like its just more of a way to visually differentiate ship models/makers or faction, like military uniforms today…. if they really wanted it to blend into its background(space) then they’d just fit a cloak wouldn’t they.. with cloaks being the primary source of camouflage, paint jobs on ships wouldn’t have much purpose other than to be either visually appealing or to visually differentiate ship models and faction

October 4, 2013 at 8:59 am Reply
      2. NoTech

So you saying that because Eve has sound in space, it’s killing your mood ?? Thats so utter BS. Pods use auditory emulators or audio synthesizers (“The Jovian Wet Grave”) otherwise you’d hear yourself and the life support system of the pod itself.
        That would be a mood killer!

October 10, 2013 at 11:47 am Reply
    3. EasyKill

Space camo is a much needed tool when engaging in the age-old sport of hunting the infamous space whale.

October 4, 2013 at 3:06 am Reply
    4. guest

What would real space camo be like? Pitch black? Maybe add some dots to it?

October 4, 2013 at 8:58 pm Reply
      1. garv

Dazzle camo, look it up

October 9, 2013 at 12:24 am Reply
  20. Elephunt

CCP is the only one who gets to play with ship paintjobs no fair. So other than that ship models got switch around no biggie.

October 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm Reply
  21. Meh

Lol can I bring my (tech 2) Drake?

October 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm Reply
    1. Muul Udonii

Primary the “(tech 2) Drake”!

October 5, 2013 at 11:18 pm Reply
  22. HatefulPrick

I’m never going to understand the Eve community. We’re all such hateful bastards.
    Let’s be honest, this change has no tangible benefit or downside, it’s just making it how it should have been all along. Why should the missile using command ship use the skin of a blaster boat?
    Honestly, it’s nonsensical. Almost as nonsensical as the community response.

TL;DR
    What are we even doing commenting on this, why are we on this page, it’s not worth our time and energy to get riled over; why aren’t we all busy tossing each other off in anticipation of the SOE ships?

October 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm Reply
    1. meep meep

Nonsensical like the Hawk shooting missiles on Merlin hull? What about the Ishkur and the Vengeance then? Why do the Rattlesnake and the Gila, based on Caldari Missile/Hybrid hulls, use drones? Shouldn´t they use the Gallente models? Why does the Raptor sport Hybrids? Should the Rapier and the Huginn feature Missiles exclusively as well, now that the Bellicose does? Continuity doesn´t exist when it comes to t2/faction version of ships. Why would it be an issue here?

This change leaves a sour taste with lots of people who have been grown fond of these ships. I would consider that a downside. And it is okay to say so. It´s not about hating on something, but criticizing a change which makes no sense whatsoever while annoying a lot of people. Just because there are awesome things coming with the next expansion one should not be allowed to criticize the stuff, which actually needs criticizing? Nice attitude.

October 4, 2013 at 10:07 am Reply
      1. jgray1979

except is isn’t sensible criticism that also states the positives. It all just sounds like 15 yr olds whining because they didn’t get the color of xbox they wanted. Whiners deserve nothing.

October 5, 2013 at 5:10 pm Reply
  23. WHAT?!?!?!?!

The only thing that annoys me is that they will probably change over all the current ships to the new look ship instead of leaving them as they are thus making them unmanufacturable (is that a word?) so making them collectors items. It would be a cheap way for CCP to make a sought after ship, especially in years to come when some have lost them in battle. Obviously dont tell us this if this is the plan because people will make loads of them and try to cash in…

October 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm Reply
    1. slothen

no, that’s stupid. The ships are staying the same, the models for all of them is changing. goddamn don’t be a moron.

October 4, 2013 at 4:45 am Reply
  24. Spunky Solo

Does this mean the 600 million ISK I wasted on a Myrmidion BPO is no longer wasted? I will be able to do invention on my Myrm BPC’s???

Oh the joy.

October 3, 2013 at 11:13 pm Reply
  25. Anonymous

TECH 2 DRAKE!

YAY!

October 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm Reply
  26. Aonus_the_blaster_maniac

how bout give them a very significant look rather than keep the same graphics crap over and over and over again… because now you are matching them with factional npc corporations wouldnt it make more sense to just give them a more unique look outside of the usual hulls and give them a total make over with alot of feel leaning to those said npc corporations rather than the same hull with a different paint job?

October 3, 2013 at 11:44 pm Reply
  27. afkcloakersarenice

These ships look hedious.

October 4, 2013 at 12:06 am Reply
  28. Billbo

Well I guess all those limited resources CCP was preaching last year are not so limited after all.

October 4, 2013 at 1:04 am Reply
  29. Youcallthatart?

Seriously where do these guys find these “artists” , do they hire art school rejects or something? Most of the ships in eve are ugly as hell.

October 4, 2013 at 1:18 am Reply
  30. Darth Nefarius

Just DON’T TOUCH MY DAMNATION!!!

October 4, 2013 at 1:33 am Reply
  31. d

This is just plain fucking retarded, no other way to sum it up

October 4, 2013 at 2:11 am Reply
  32. Capt Bri

This must be a CCP troll. Why would they want to do this? Just doesn’t make any since to me.

October 4, 2013 at 2:50 am Reply
    1. Curse

It is the twisted and warped mind of Fozzie, his CCP-name says it all.

October 4, 2013 at 10:25 am Reply
      1. Capt Bri

I love eve. It is my get away. As a single middle aged man I love my stress free time playing my spaceship game. I would pay three times as much as I am now if it meant more quality game play. In the upcoming months and year there is going to be some serious competition coming about. If CCP doesn’t take proper moves to position itself it will be left behind. What I expect from eve right now after 4 years of watching is quality! I want massive 5000 man battles without major lag. I want more null space twice as much as available now. I want stations, planets and fighters all in one game. give me the option to go from one to the other easily with the same toon not different games. You can do it I know you can. If you have to raise the price fine give me the best you can do it O I know you can.

October 5, 2013 at 4:29 am Reply
  33. Dennis the Dreamer

“Let us know what you think.” NO NO NO and BIG NO! Just create new models.

October 4, 2013 at 4:00 am Reply
  34. Just Do It

Hell yes this is an amazing idea…
    love it…
    …do it…
    …take my money already…

October 4, 2013 at 4:09 am Reply
  35. waltari

Dont even dare! Hands off my absolution.

October 4, 2013 at 9:12 am Reply
  36. Valfodr

100% approved. I broner in anticipation of Eos

October 4, 2013 at 12:51 pm Reply
  37. John Rockfehler

Once upon a time I saw golden chick in the space. At this day I decided to join Eve online despite the fact, that I do not play online games, that require real money. Now they killed that chicken. I will not join the Eve and CCP just lost one more paying customers.

October 4, 2013 at 2:17 pm Reply
    1. HonorGod

I stopped playing eve about 6 months ago -a few months after the last expansion. Why? Because every expansion screwed folks that like industry and industry ONLY. I should have left after they screwed the hulks over, but hoped they would correct that HUGE error. At that time I vowed that if they expand again and “dicked” indies, I would be gone- only to return when they start using their idiotic brains.
      I am more discouraged every time I see post like this. I get it, most people want to blowup stuff and have the surges of adrenaline from getting away. A few of us do not, we just want to sit, mine, manufacture and make ISK. Seeing that nothing has changed, I will not be returning anytime soon with my Main Character Ahriman Gate or my other 4 toons. To bad for Eve, I was a Cash player at $100 bucks a month…

October 4, 2013 at 9:21 pm Reply
      1. Stating the obvious

In CCP’s eyes everyone is a cash player, unless CCP deems you run a
        fansite or you are a CSM then everyone pays for their accounts.

October 5, 2013 at 12:42 am Reply
      2. Random CFC Grunt

One (pardon – 4) less suicide gank targets afking in a hisec belt or sitting in station. Eve is doomed… On a more serious note – bye.

October 5, 2013 at 4:01 pm Reply
        1. HonorGod

One- you might have Suey-ganked one of my ships, but not the other 4. There is no fun in AFK mining and therefore your implication is not relevant.

October 7, 2013 at 7:13 pm Reply
  38. FA grunt

Make something new!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or even a new look for what you already have aka make tech 2 look dif.

October 4, 2013 at 7:05 pm Reply
  39. Caveira

Sleipnir becomes a Boundless Creations Hurricane
    lol? really one of the best ships in eve for ducktape faction, and you change for another hurricane how many do you have already? hurricane/ faction cane and another comeon paint is not that bad if you want to play change the ugly gallente textures try to remake some ships that look a puzzle that went wrong ….

October 5, 2013 at 1:31 am Reply
  40. IWIN

Yay for bullshit supremacy!

October 5, 2013 at 11:32 am Reply
  41. sigh

crap

October 6, 2013 at 6:21 am Reply
  42. KM

Seriously doesn’t CCP have anything better to do than rehash T1 models and make it harder to grind stuff to stay in this game with a POS? Slowly spending less and less time on Eve…

October 6, 2013 at 6:46 am Reply
  43. CCPNoMoreFozziePlz

Nighthawk had come character before CCP Fozzie got to it.

October 6, 2013 at 7:20 am Reply
  44. Thodoros

So instead of doin something meaningfull why are goin to have more T1 hulls and change something that you find abit more aesthticaly pleasing?
    A new hull design would had made more sence.
    Leave things as they are now i say.

October 6, 2013 at 3:39 pm Reply
    1. Daniel Plain

hate to break it to you pumpkin but unless you’re playing dwarf fortress, aesthetic pleasure is likely an integral part of your game. and no, a new design would not have made any more sense, since the new models align very well with their T1 counterparts.

October 7, 2013 at 8:24 am Reply
      1. Thodoros

Is a Command ship it does not have to do with anything else (hull design)if they wish too. We have plenty of T1 as it is so imo something new will have been better.

October 7, 2013 at 10:02 pm Reply
  45. some german guy

Oh my god this is awesome the gallente command ship looks exactly like a Myrm.
    Good Job ccp
    <3 u.
    Fuck fixing stuff if you can do this.

October 7, 2013 at 8:21 am Reply
  46. evan

Can be a voting or something about those hulls. The damnation and sleipnir are just iconic and you want to change them becouse ? CCP whant to win a price for ugly ships count?. Is there a competition going in space sim or something. Pls just live the prophacy model for amarr comands . Its perfect in both versions. Someone did amazing job with those 2 and you want to destroy it for some ugly hulls

October 8, 2013 at 12:50 am Reply
  47. Yahahiuy

CCP: give all ships a new texture. Blam! You got a new expansion in 15 minutes! And you can play LOL for 6 months again.

October 8, 2013 at 7:34 am Reply