Comments

The name, I must admit, makes me a little nervous.  And no, it wasn’t shared with the CSM in advance.

As a history buff, the phrase “crossing the Rubicon” very much invokes in me a feeling of passing a point of no return.  Had Gaius Julius Caesar not been victorious during his civil war, he would have been executed and the history of the world would have been very different.  And of course his victory changed the very tenor of a successful, slowly advancing and conservative Roman Republic into a vibrant, fast-growing, but chaotic Roman Empire.  So while I recognize that the name of the next EVE expansion is mostly an in-game lore conceit, it’s hard not to see the subtle out-of-game message.

…if there is one.  I might be seeing something that isn’t there, of course.

Anyway, the announcement of EVE Online: Rubicon was supposed to be a bit of a victory lap.  This is an expansion that CCP Seagull has quite literally signed her name to, the first expansion in a series of expansions to launch her long-term vision of space colonization and player ownership of space.  I felt rather bad to see it disrupted by the furor over the SOMER Blink.

Some wag even joked a little meanly that CCP would be announcing the expansion to be called EVE Online: Blink.  Whoops.

Anyway, this video stream came about partially because both at a meeting with Seagull a few weeks before the summit and at the summit itself, I and the rest of the CSM made a case for Seagull to get out in public a bit more.  This is something that CCP Unifex did to great success a few times as Executive Producer: he was at the center of a video dev-blog introducing the next expansion, talking about the overall sorts of things the expansion would include… that sort of thing.  It was always short, not much more than a quick appetizer, really.  But it did a great job of putting all of the follow-on dev-blogs into context and start to get players excited about the new expansion before it was released.  This was something that I and the rest of CSM8 urged Seagull to do and she agreed that it was a good idea.

Something to keep in mind which isn’t NDA: in none of the past video dev-blogs was the whole story of the next expansion told.  They were just intended to let you know some of the things you’d be seeing, not all of them.  With the background stuff done, I wanted to chat a bit about the Rubicon features from what was presented.  In a couple of cases, I’ll be writing full posts about these once the relevant dev-blogs are written.

New Anchorables: Siphon Array, Tractor Beam Platform, Depot, Cyno Jammer.  I love this one and a couple of them — notably the Depot — have the potential to be quite literal game-changers.  I was making arguments for the ability to push combat refitting down to the small-gang level back in 2012.  The Depot addresses the same problem but with a completely different and really clever mechanic.  Needless to say, I’m going to be carrying around one of these quite a bit and have been spending some time coming up with interesting use cases for them.  It’s also tempting to think of the tractor platform as strictly a PvE conceit… until you remember that some of those PvP wreck fields are pretty big.  😉

Ship Balance: interceptor, marauder, interdictors, EAFs.  The march continues.  I for one have been using CSM influence to make sure the re-balance train moves through the ship classes pretty rapidly because we still have a lot of really important classes to go…  Of the four classes, I’m most excited about the EAF changes so far.  It’s been so long since I could reasonably fly my Kitsune or my Sentinel.  I’m personally least-excited about the marauder but that’s because I was hoping for a real fast-attack PvP battleship and I don’t think the marauders fit the bill.

Warp Acceleration Change.  I love love love this one.  And I might even get to take a certain small amount of credit for it.  There’s a funny story about how I think this one got rolling: one of my first days in the CCP/CSM Skype stream, I offered a bottle of brandy to the dev that could make this change happen.  I’ve been thinking about it since all the way back in January, long before I knew I was gonna be on CSM8…

If I am elected to CSM8, know what the very first thing I’m going to mention to CCP Soundwave and/or CCP Fozzie and/or whomever will listen to me?  It’s silly.  But it’s just the first thing I’m going to mention: why do all ships accelerate to warp at the same rate?  17 times out of 20, this means that two ships that align and warp away from one gate to another gate will arrive within one or two seconds of each other.  Doesn’t matter if one is a battleship and the other is an interceptor.  If the distance between gates is under 20AU or so, they’ll arrive at the next gate at the same time, forcing the interceptor to keep up the chase in the next system.  This is silly to me, and easily fixable.

And so it was one of the first thing I mentioned.  😉  I’ll wait to tell the rest of the story until after the dev in question gets to take credit in a dev-blog for his hard and awesome work.  And yes, I will absolutely be paying off during my winter trip to Iceland.

But leave it to an EVE player to see an unexpected downside:

CCP is killing bio breaks on long warps! This is outrageous!

gg, Sarmatiko, gg.  I laughed.

High-sec POCOs under player control.  I’m going to be watching this one closely in the coming months.  I’m a tiny bit concerned about certain large null-sec griefing alliances coming in and taking over all of the POCOs within a few jumps of the market systems, then “defending” them by hiding behind the enormous cost to war-dec their alliances.  I’ve raised this concern with CCP.  A representative from a certain large null-sec alliance who was sitting next to me at the time said that I was over-reacting.  We’ll see.  😉

The SoE exploration frigate and cruiser.  I’ll have more to say about these ships when stats are released.  For now though, you can rest assured that their resemblance to ships in certain other sci-fi properties was noted by the CSM during the Art team session in Iceland.  That said, they’re not the first ships to resemble or flat-out copy great-looking ships from other properties, nor are they likely to be the last.

Certificate system revamp.  I think this one is important but it again will get its own post when the dev-blog is released.  At that point, I’ll have lots and lots to say about it.

That’s all for now, I think.  As the devs in question get their dev-blogs out, I’ll write about each in turn and of course after the expansion is released I’ll be giving my favorite and least favorite features for Rubicon from all of its features…

– Ripard Teg

If you would like to read more we invite you to visit his blog here.

1. Can we please have.....

“That said, they’re not the first ships to resemble or flat-out copy great-looking ships from other properties, nor are they likely to be the last.”

So can we please have our own deathstar and some imperial star destroyers?

September 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm Reply
    1. Tony Abbott

To be honest, I couldn’t be fucked trying to maneuver through a narrow trench just to destroy a super PoS.

Unless it was full of refugees, then I would bring everything I had to destroy it.

September 30, 2013 at 4:06 pm Reply
      1. Bo Jangles

Trying to get a bunch of POS bashing Phoenixes down that trench would be a ball ache.

September 30, 2013 at 4:52 pm Reply
    2. Snargle

We already have star destroyers. They’re called Hurricanes.

September 30, 2013 at 4:50 pm Reply
  2. incerreptor

favourite feature: twitch tv streaming integration for FC-s and spies

September 30, 2013 at 4:26 pm Reply
  3. goonsonline

Yes of course goons will take over the pocos next to the markets, yes of course they will tell you that you are over-reacting now.. we need to rename this game “goons online”. The rest of us will be offline a lot more

September 30, 2013 at 4:43 pm Reply
    1. imsosly

they can barely control their sov now.. do you know how many hs pocos there are?

September 30, 2013 at 5:01 pm Reply
      1. anon

if by “barely control” you’re referring to taking over half – literally fucking half – of the sov map, then yes those poor bastards are so battered, losing space at a startling rate. goons will own every poco in The Forge, Lonetrek and Black Rise within a month.

TL;DR get your head out of your ass…

September 30, 2013 at 7:08 pm Reply
      2. Branch

Less than in their curent sov holdings.

October 1, 2013 at 3:21 pm Reply
    2. GFY

Instead of going “offline”…do something about it. More pew, less whine.

October 1, 2013 at 12:25 am Reply
      1. Filip Viruk Drab

Yes, feel free to throw yourself against the wall, it will certainly achieve some level of amusement among the goonswarm. Or rather stop playing and let CCP figure out why will the subs drop.

October 1, 2013 at 6:45 am Reply
        1. Drama Dalai Lama

I left CFC not so long ago and have to agree with that. CFC and GSF is an unstopable force, if possible they will replace ALL hisec pocos and set 100% tax on them since pocos don’t require taxes like sov does. The only way of preventing their or n3’s complete dominance of hisec PI production is allowing anyone to shoot them (pocos) down without wardecing by just making attackers suspects as if they stole from a can. But we all know it ain’t gonna happen so I’d rather unsubscribe about it and look for a better game.

October 1, 2013 at 8:22 am Reply
          1. JustsomeGui

Good for you, they will ask you why you cancelled your subscription, state your reason clearly. I urge others to do the same. If CCP won’t hear you now, they will once you hit them in their pocket book. This is a for profit company.

October 2, 2013 at 4:14 am
        2. GFY

Waaaa! Its tough for you, so you’ll roll over and die, instead of fighting back?

What a sissy arsed view. I hope Goon’s take all of hisec. As long as they didnt affect your income, you pubbies have become complacent. Who cares if Goon’s take null, you had your nice little ISKies rolling in, but now that things may change, you cry.

If people worked together, you could even run them out of null, but heaven forbid anything be a challenge for you. Everyone that upvoted the original comment, should just biomass themselves. Such weakness is disgusting.

October 1, 2013 at 12:21 pm Reply
          1. Branch

Fight back? You mean to escallate a mere frigate roam that is countered with BS and BC/T3/extensive Logi with BS and caps and then escallate further into 6VD 2.0?

Funny thoughs you have there … is it Crash or Exile?

October 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm
          2. Thisguyisapieceofshit

You should biomass yourself you piece of shit. Your just a piece of shit goon out to demoralize a protest that people are about to embark on. You are a defender of the status quo because it suit you RMT empire purposes. Giving fights over the customs office would signify that particular feature of the expansion a success.

October 2, 2013 at 4:11 am
          3. GFY

Hahahahahaha. What protest? Ohhhhh, you mean crying like little girls, and throwing a tantrum, while letting other people be the deciding factor, if you play Eve or not? Yeah, awesome strategy.

Btw, Im not a Goon, but the fact they generate so many tears, before they even do anything, is becoming highly amusing.

October 2, 2013 at 5:28 am
          4. Filip Viruk Drab

Nah, mate. For me quitting EVE is the ultimate victory, since I don’t live in my own little world behind the computer trolling, scamming, insulting other players. I certainly hope CFC will take all of EVE (but I doubt it, they’ll leave a part of it “free” so they don’t become too bored), because it would drive people away from the game. I have been actively fighting in the fountain war against CFC, but if combined forces of TEST/N3/TRIBE & co weren’t able to stop CFC, nothing will. Unless CFC failscades from within. And these are not tears, this is just as things are. I’m not sad, nor angry about the state of things. Quite the opposite, actually. Also, for the average 0.0 player that was in TEST/TRIBE or whichever faction CFC took space from nothing changes, they can just join CFC and continue to rat, or join some renter corp, or something. I’ll enjoy your attemts at trolling though.

October 2, 2013 at 8:28 am
      2. JustsomeGui

Negative, this would be the incorrect approach. Giving control over the costumes offices in hi-sec to player entities will be seen as a success by CCP if fights over these offices start breaking out. Lets face it, unless all of empire space band together they will not stand a chance against the goons and the goons will have won once again.

Goons and the CFC have a disproportionate amount of representation within CCP because of their organization.

A way to show CCP that they made a mistake by allowing hi sec customs offices to be controlled by player entities would be to unsubscribe in protest, trust me it wouldn’t even take a month for them to fix it once they see their bottom line dropped for stated reason.

October 2, 2013 at 4:05 am Reply
    3. somebody

Mynnna sounds like a complete ass to work with on the CSM, too, judging by the “overreacting” comment.

October 1, 2013 at 4:45 am Reply
    4. JustsomeGui

If goons take over all POCOs’ near the markets in Hi-Sec, Hi-Sec dwellers should just unsubscribe! Contact CCP and state the reason for unsubscribing and see them fix the problem in record time. In the end CCP is a profit driven company, right now the CFC has the most representation in the game as they are the most organized and vocal and CCP views them as the primary profit providers. You will see how quickly they will change their approach if they see the bottom line drop for reason stated above.

October 2, 2013 at 3:55 am Reply
  4. imsosly

Second galaxy, coming soon. Those who move into the new space will have no option of returning to new eden.

September 30, 2013 at 5:00 pm Reply
    1. The Obvious

Never. I would quit the game rather than watch a server split.

September 30, 2013 at 7:05 pm Reply
    2. Dragon Outlaw

NOW THAT WOULD BE AN EXPANSION!! THAT WOULD BE NEW CONTENT!!! A lot of players would surely jump in this. However I would not make this “new Galaxy” completly isolated from New Eden. Maybe have a few stable WHs connecting both Galaxys. To prevent the big blocs from moving in and taking it all, you could force people to be required to fly a special new and small non-combat ship to cross those WHs. The 1st few systems on the new galaxy side could be some form of high sec and low-sec systems. Beyond that….you’re on you own!!
      Jump cloning from one galaxy to the other could be made impossible. Anyways…Just brainstorming here!!!

September 30, 2013 at 8:13 pm Reply
      1. Mr Twinkie

You come thru in a rookie ship with no isk or sp… EvE: The restart to the good old days…

October 1, 2013 at 12:55 am Reply
    3. Filip Viruk Drab

It would be GSF space within months.

October 1, 2013 at 6:44 am Reply
  5. Billbo

“The name, I must admit, makes me a little nervous. And no, it wasn’t shared with the CSM in advance.”

So for one week at the summer summit other than getting drunk and fat what else was discussed?

September 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm Reply
    1. Guest

September 30, 2013 at 9:24 pm Reply
  6. Mr Twinkie

No way they don’t actually trust neck beards who win a popularity contest with important information? It’s funny that some people still think the CSM actually does anything… And even more funny that a CSM member thinks he contributed in any way to a common sense change..

September 30, 2013 at 9:24 pm Reply
    1. Guest

Well, CCP doesn’t really have the best track record when it comes to common sense changes…

October 1, 2013 at 10:36 am Reply
  7. The Observer

“Those of you who think of the new anchorables as the first step toward modular POSes are forgiven for doing so.”

….you son of a….

I WANT MY POS REVAMP I WAS PROMISED WAY BACK DURING CSM 6!!!

September 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm Reply
    1. Lube man

I feel your pain bro!

September 30, 2013 at 11:30 pm Reply
  8. Tora Bushido

Good reading….

High sec poco’s and high sec war decs…. I see a good new business here :)

October 1, 2013 at 11:20 am Reply
  9. tara read

If they make Eve into a place where you can truly “boldly go” with new systems, exploration and truly making New Eden your Oyster I dare say they’d breathe fresh life into the game and I’d be the first with a Red Shirt on…

Jove Space anyone? Or hell maybe even Earth? Who knows?

October 2, 2013 at 6:09 am Reply