Today Trebor Daehdoow, chairman for the CSM 8 made an statement regarding the controversial SOMER Blink promotion, we recommend you to take the time and read this.

The following is a summary of CSM activity over the last few days regarding the SOMER Blink promotion.

The CSM was not consulted in advance about this promotion, so it was just as much a surprise to us as it was to the community. Our reaction was broadly similar to that expressed in the forums.

On Thursday the 26th, we received an update on the situation from CCP Dolan after our regular Stakeholder meeting with Team Five-0. Later in the day, we got a second update from CCP Dolan and CCP Manifest.

During those meetings, we outlined five areas of concern that we felt CCP’s response should address. These were:

1. Reintroduction of historically important or unique ships.

2. Favoring one community fan site over others.

3. Trusting a community fan site, and more particularly, a player, with the task of selecting the winners.

4. Forcing players to use SOMER Blink in order to enter — which may have legal consequences in some jurisdictions.

5. Providing direct benefit to a for-profit gambling fansite.

CCP Navigator’s announcement on Thursday of changes to the prize structure has addressed (1), and details of the method of selecting winners (which we urge CCP to make public) leaves the CSM reasonably confident that the actual drawing will be fair, addressing issue (3).

Issues (2) and (5) are business decisions that CCP has the right to make. We think they are a mistake, and hope that the uproar over this issue will cause CCP to re-evaluate these policies for future promotions. Supporting groups that have a clear educational/public service focus in-game is one thing; supporting a group that is distinctly for-profit — and one that can use the ISK it generates to secretly support in-game groups — breeds distrust for CCP in the community.

However, the requirement that one must be a member of SOMER Blink in order to participate remains, and for a lottery with such significant prizes, is very troubling to us. Furthermore, the structure of the lottery, which encourages and rewards extensive use of SOMER Blink, may raise legal concerns in some jurisdictions. For example, in the United States, commercial lotteries cannot require the purchase of a product or service in order to receive an entry.

For this reason, we strongly suggest that the entry mechanic be adjusted as follows:

1) Members of SOMER Blink are automatically entered into the lottery and receive one ticket, regardless of how much they use the site.

2) An alternate method (such as posting in a particular thread) be used to allow people to enter who do not wish to become a member of SOMER Blink.

We further recommend that procedures be put in place to sanity-check future promotions to ensure that they are acceptable to the community.

On Friday morning we sent this statement to CCP for their comments, and on Friday evening David Reid (CCP Pokethulu, CCP’s CMO) replied to us as follows (reproduced with permission):

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback, and for the opportunity to review your statement in advance of publishing it to the community.

We acknowledge that we rushed this event, and we are certainly learning from it now.

Your statement strikes us as factually correct and appropriate to publish, and there are a few further details we want to share with you also.

First, we are developing a program to allow all 3rd parties the opportunity to apply to participate in these kinds of events and promotions with CCP support, and we will have news on that shortly. In general, we believe CCP should foster the activities our players enjoy, and it is clear these kinds of activities have a lot of support in the EVE community, much like we see in other games.

That said, we recognize it is imperative for CCP to remain impartial with respect to which 3rd parties receive CCP support for these kinds of activities. To that end, we will develop a clear policy on how we plan to conduct future events, including how we will determine which 3rd parties and which events will receive CCP support, and we will develop that policy in consultation with the CSM.

We also want to assure you that we are working closely with CCP’s legal team to ensure all legal concerns resulting from this event, and future events like it, are addressed.

If you wish, it’s fine to let the community know in your statement that CCP has informed you we are working on a clear 3rd party program for future events and that we will consult with you on this program as we develop it, but there’s certainly no requirement for you to include this in your statement.

Thank you again for your feedback here and we welcome your further thoughts.

Thanks,
David

The CSM will endeavor to keep the community informed as there are further developments in this issue, and as always, your input is most appreciated.

Sincerely,
The Members of the 8th Council of Stellar Management

Stickied on request of CSM. ISD Ezwal.

- Trebor Daehdoow

1. riverini

a shout to mara rinn for pointing out this thread.

September 29, 2013 at 2:25 am Reply
  2. Deadfish808

I’m still impressed that CCP keeps the CSM around that’s pretty impressive since they could at anytime say STFU that shit is over and we will do what we want. I also agree that Blink should be kept a close eye on if CCP supports them as much as they do, considering the amount of shady stuff seems to surround Blink. On the other hand, non of the shit they are giving away is going to affect 99.99999999999% of anyone’s gameplay, so does it really matter that much. O NO you didn’t get a 1 of 3 special edition ship that those 3 people will never ever fly and will never leave the station. woOOOooOOOooOOO.

September 29, 2013 at 2:40 am Reply
    1. CCP Iytzak

Basically their answer was a STFO and look in the different direction rofl. Too stupid to see it?

September 29, 2013 at 3:19 am Reply
    2. Random Miner

the only reason CCp made csm was to make players feel in control. Anyone who actually thinks the csm matters is either in the csm or are completely out of the loop enough to not see CCp clearly doesn’t give a shit about what the csm says. Every meeting the csm has with CCp i’m sure all the CCp guys are just saying in their heads “omg is this guy still talking about a fucking game, jesus, like it really matters what he says to me”

September 30, 2013 at 1:48 am Reply
  3. ><a1N

I think people play Eve lotteries more than Eve. Let me put this scenario up for debate. Say I am very excited about these prizes on offer and wish to enter Somer Blink competition to win one or more of them. I am not part of any Technetium cartel anymore and my isk making days are quite low since I don’t pay for miners licence in hi-sec and have lost a great many hulks early in my mining career. Really I am just flat out of isk. I decide to raid my family savings which is in a local bank and I withdraw $200 to start with. I then ‘launder’ this money via CCP and purchase numerous plex. I sell the plex in Jita and now have a large amount of isk enough to fulfil my desire to win those shiny ships on offer in Somer Blink. I don’t have an account so sign up via in-game browser. CCP are so kind to help me that I don’t even have to log out of game to sign up to Somer Blink. I trust the site and I am in. I next deposit isk into the Somer Blink account. I have so much ‘blink credit’ now I just go for those amazing Rorquals on offer that I forget all about winning those shiny ships. I play for a couple of hours and I have a couple of Rorquals and no more blink credit. I wonder if my wife will notice that the savings are down a bit.

September 29, 2013 at 2:57 am Reply
    1. Rabid Disconnection

Why bother buying plex from CCP? You can get GTC for cheaper on Marquee Dragon and Somer Blink will give you 100m per plex once converted in credit.

I actually stopped paying for my monthly accounts using my credit card, GTC is slightly more than the monthly cost but I have walked away with billions in winnings from my Blink credits.

And for those who say “You pay for EVE with RL money?” hell yeah I do, so much easier to get $20 than it is 500M isk.

October 8, 2013 at 2:42 am Reply
  4. Herpa Derp

Still fucking scamming Site and CCP knows it. Shit load of Shill accounts Replacement bitch is one for sure aswell as a few others. CCP is using RMT for Cash period People use blink to launder Isk with out Risk period.

September 29, 2013 at 3:31 am Reply
    1. Anhenka

Holy capitalization Batman!

In other news, you crazy bro.

Replacement is actually a fairly chill guy, unlike you, judging by your frothing at the mouth paranoiagasm. What most people don’t understand is that the larger the prize, the smaller the average loss margin on blinks. Considering the huge number of tickets winning them produces, the losses in dread/rorqual blinks long term is offset by the massive Bonk/Blast prizes won as a result of said stockpiles of hundreds of thousands of tickets.

And if you want to launder isk, there are far easier ways to do so than through blink.

That being said, I do find CCP giving Blink special prizes to be in poor taste.

September 29, 2013 at 4:19 am Reply
      1. Herpa Derp

Bullshit what ever Replacement is a shill player there is plenty of proof out there. It is been said many times bitch always wins bonks and Mini Bonks so your Just probably Andrev lil cunt aswell how much isk they giving you to comment on here?

September 29, 2013 at 1:43 pm Reply
  5. Treston Cal

I read that CCP response as, “Your concerns are duly noted. Now fuck off…”

September 29, 2013 at 5:31 am Reply
    1. riverini

pretty much =___=

September 29, 2013 at 7:28 am Reply
    2. Guest

It’s more of a “you have a point but we’re not going to do anything about it now, maybe later”

September 29, 2013 at 9:09 am Reply
      1. WWW

No, it is definitely more like what Treston said, “Thanks for your concern, we are doing what we want anyways.”

September 29, 2013 at 9:16 am Reply
    3. Random Miner

isn’t that how pretty much all of their statements sound? It’s always shocked me how much CCp acts in a hostile manner toward their player base. These are the guys paying their wages after all…

September 30, 2013 at 1:41 am Reply
  6. WWW

All this drama on top of the controversy already surrounding SOMER makes me want to avoid contact with the site altogether now. If it smells like a turd, it probably is, and I don’t want to be involved.

September 29, 2013 at 9:10 am Reply
  7. fuckccp

CCP not addressing items 2. and 5. is fucking bullshit. I assume not every single player organization will be given exclusive free stuff so giving them to one or even a handful is just blatant favouritism as pointed over and over again on the forums.

September 29, 2013 at 9:28 am Reply
  8. imsosly

It’s called “Promote Somer with the goal of sucking as much in-game ISK out of player hands thereby increasing PLEX sales”.

September 30, 2013 at 4:53 pm Reply