Comments

I have 11 EVE accounts. I also “pay” for the account of my girlfriend. I placed apostrophes, because CCP saw $60 from me all together, making EVE my cheapest game. I subscribed for the game with my main account and then used a “pay for 3 months, get 6 months on a second account” feature. After these payments I could earn enough ISK in game to PLEX my accounts. I currently sit on 220B cash and another 100B is invested into capital BPOs (my first batch of Naglfar BPOs sold in a week). 5 of my accounts are also investments: supercapital pilots for sale. As my current activity (ganking) pays for itself, I have no ISK needs, I can run the accounts for 8 years. All 6+1 of them. It seems I’m not the ideal customer for CCP.

Actually – as I pay nothing – I am not a customer at all. “But someone paid for your PLEX-es” – you might say, and you are right. However if someone else pays for my in-game actions, I’m – by definition – a content creator. Let’s not argue over the question if the content I create worth $15*7*12 = $1260/year for other people or not, if they pay that much, it worth that much. Let’s also not argue if CCP could create the same content itself for less than I cost them (not $1260, I don’t get that money, only the traffic cost I generate).

The problem I want to discuss today is having content creators who enhance your game for connection costs is nice, but you need to have customers too. Also, the game must cater to your customers and not to your volunteer content creators. Let’s ignore PvP here, because that doesn’t create ISK that you could use to PLEX your account. Quite the opposite.

While most vocal players claim EVE PvE is horrible, vocal players are just a minority. Ganking miners gave me a great overview on mining and the results are the very opposite of what you’d expect: most miners I see are not in a multiboxing or bot-mining operation. Most miners aren’t even in a solo AFK ship with a 1M SP pilot earning ISK while the player is doing his laundry. Brace yourself: most miners are actively piloting their mining ship. They try to warp out when they are attacked (it doesn’t help as I have scram), many warps out when my scout enters the grid (it doesn’t help as I can scan them while they align out, note their EHP and next time I just enter grid cloaked) and many of them has comments on local or convo to me – hopefully only after they upgraded their clones. These are real players of EVE Online who have to like mining otherwise they wouldn’t do it actively. On the other hand, the Orca + 4 Hulks + Obelisk combos never move and never chat. They either don’t warp out at all and keep mining while one of their members blow up or they warp out exactly in the second my ganker pilots enter local. I also see another minority, the solo Mackinaw with tank modules in lows. He is clearly AFK, left his ship running while he is sleeping or in school.

What is the point? Inefficient, solo PvE players are probably customers who are paying for their account and spend their game time with an activity they find fun: PvE. However fun cannot be multiboxed. If you like warping around and getting rocks, you won’t have more fun because you have another ship doing the same in the background. You have more income though. A solo PvE account can be used for fun, but multiple PvE accounts are good for one thing: earning ISK to PLEX your account or fund your PvP (instead of funding it from PLEX). Having multiple PvE accounts that cannot even pay for themselves is plain stupid: you get no extra fun for your $.

My point is that having multiple PvE accounts is probably the best sign of someone not being a paying customer. So changes that close down PvE alt accounts aren’t cutting into the budget of CCP. Of course closing them down has no point in itself (connection costs are low), however if a change would get more customers, it’s not a problem if it would also mean bittervets close down some accounts.

Could the economy turn upside down if enough multibox or bot accounts would be closed? No. They farmed ISK and then sold the ISK to the real customers. Sure, these customers wanted to pay for the ISK, but the ISK injection could be coming from CCP directly in some form of game mechanic change (like the halved ice harvester cycles) or even an item shop. The buyer doesn’t care who sells him ISK for his PLEX. The sellers do care, but they aren’t customers. Before you’d comment, please think about what is the difference between these scenarios:

• you run a ratter account who gets ISK bounties and uses it to buy a PLEX to fund the account.
  • the same amount of ISK is sold for 1 PLEX worth of Aurum in the item shop.

To increase revenues, CCP has to embrace the philosophy “we want more players, not more accounts”. 2 accounts played by two players worth more than 2 accounts played by the same player – because he is less likely to pay a dime to CCP.

- Gevlon Goblin

His EVE journey show a very interesting “outside the box” approach to the game, PVE and the trade hubs, reason for which we invite you to pay a visit to his blog.

—-

The Goblinganks channel gets more and more lively as the newly started gank accounts reach the point where they can actually gank:

(the mentioned kill is here)

1. RnK

Wow you don’t have a char in a skilled souther null alliance? So you have done nothing and achieved nothing but think you are pro? My nubby friend you are not qualified to even comment.

September 26, 2013 at 7:09 pm Reply
  2. ohgodkillmenow

another article full of look at me e-peenery. this crap is a reason i gave up this terrible game.

September 26, 2013 at 7:09 pm Reply
    1. Bobiscle

uhm, if you “gave up this terrible game.” Then why are you reading an eve website, about eve news, on the game? what the crap is that, speaking of “e-peenery”.

September 26, 2013 at 7:25 pm Reply
  3. yeahmeagain

Well… the first paragraph is more typical GG… but the second half actually made sense this time.

September 26, 2013 at 7:10 pm Reply
  4. Pee Ness

I stopped reading after that 11 accounts + girlfriend thingy.
    Left hand isn’t officially a girlfirend…

September 26, 2013 at 7:16 pm Reply
    1. bestshot

what if you put a sock puppet on that hand?

September 26, 2013 at 8:17 pm Reply
      1. GSection

Valid argument!

September 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm Reply
  5. MoreBrainsThanAGoblin

CCP doesn’t give a damn whether you pay with PLEX or with a sub, they see # of accounts and get an income from it:

CCP_INCOME=ACCTS_PLEXED*PLEX_PRICE+ACCTS_SUBBED*SUB_PRICE

For being a market genius you sure have a horridly wrong understanding of business-level economics. Hell, because PLEX_PRICE > SUB_PRICE CCP makes more money off of your accounts than it does off of 11 sub-paying players.

September 26, 2013 at 7:32 pm Reply
  6. imsosly

Is this guys for real? A) learn English. B) Learn EVE. EVERY PLEX WAS PAID FOR YOU DUMBASS!! If I buy 6 PLEX for $100, do you really think CCP gives a flying fuck who buys them? Each PLEX represents a month of PAID gametime whether you want to believe in reality or not. As if people don’t hate Goblin enough for the douchebag he is… omg. This was nothing but a “I’ve got 220b ISK” at least so you claim. You’re a tool. Your girlfriend should leave you. Every GG toon I know of is on my KOS list, idgaf if it’s in Jita or in null, I’ll pop you anywhere I see you dick.

September 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm Reply
    1. Aher

You are too mad to understand , it’s about the person behind the chars , a customer with 10 plexed accounts is financially nearly useless to CCP compared to one which has one account and buys monthly 9 plexes to get isk . If first leaves the game nothing happens , if second leaves CCP has 140E or so less monthly income.

September 27, 2013 at 6:40 am Reply
      1. Dirk MacGirk

No, there has to be a balance. Without demand in game for plex, prices will drop and supply being purchased with RL$€£¥ will begin to dry up. It’s a Ponzi scheme. CCP need both.

September 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm Reply
  7. anon

stopped reading after “Hey guise i have 11 accounts, a girlfriend, and 220bil isk”

September 26, 2013 at 7:51 pm Reply
  8. Leicester

So, how much isk does it cost to keep your ‘girlfriend’ around each month?

September 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm Reply
  9. Billbo

Calling you out on bullshit for the fact that you say you have a “girlfriend”

September 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm Reply
  10. Dirk MacGirk

Holy fucking fucking stupid fucking shit.

Ok sorry. I hearby promise that I will never make another positive comment about this ridiculously retarded imbecile even if he prints the holy gospel of eve straight from God’s mouth. Pay for your account with cash or use isk to buy plex, CCP still gets paid you fucking fucktard. In fact, since plex sells for more than a subscription, they actually get paid more. You may personally be playing the game “for free” but CCP is getting paid for your game time from someone. You retarded dumb fuck.

Ok, sorry. No really, I’m sorry this time.

September 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm Reply
    1. Dirk MacGirk

I am going to reply to myself just to add something of use:

CCP cares about three things, or at least should. The first is obviously subscriptions. These are what generate real revenues for them. The second is extras like buying plex to convert to aurum or to use for dual account training. Again, this is real revenue.

They should, and I hope they do, care about actual player growth. Subscriptions are nice, but if the vast majority of new subscriptions come from new alts then the player base is stagnating. And a stagnating player base is not good for the future of their franchise. Ultimately revenues are all that matters for the bottom line, but you need new blood to fill the void from players who move on.

September 26, 2013 at 8:53 pm Reply
      1. Provi Miner

I think he missed his own point. A paid subscriber is more likely to bring in new people then just another alt account. Of course CPP would like every new subscriber to run 7 accounts as well.

September 27, 2013 at 2:41 am Reply
        1. Dirk MacGirk

Not to belabor the point but how do you know that a player who pays for his subscription is more likely to bring in new people than one who plexes? Do people who plex all their accounts not have friends? Well, probably not since they are probably playing so much they have no RL. But I think the premise of one is better for attracting new players is flawed.

September 27, 2013 at 1:57 pm Reply
  11. Cold as ice

CCP dont care about players they care about accounts because no matter what they get paid cash money.

September 26, 2013 at 8:35 pm Reply
  12. mathlearnit

are you retarded? I have to ask because you claim you aren’t an ideal customer for CCP yet you have 11 active accounts.

September 26, 2013 at 8:50 pm Reply
    1. Aher

Think again … the ideal customer (not character) is the one who buyes 11 plexes in adition to his monthly fee . Gevlon is irelevant , he can leave the game at no repercusion except some isk evaluation , but if the IRL rich kid leaves CCP loses that income , period and the raising plex prices will not compensate this

September 27, 2013 at 7:04 am Reply
      1. plexinjection

… and again. The ideal customer is the one who buys plex, for as many accounts as he possibly can, perhaps multiboxing highsec mining, or just building characters for the bazaar, with literally dozens of alts simultaneously. This has two effects on the eve economy: 1.) It drives up the price of plex and therefore $$ sales of plex into CCP, and 2.) If it is bazaar, it is a character transfer sale ($20 to run a db query), if it is mining it is cheaper ships making the game more attractive to poorer/newer/younger players.
        Plex is worth more than subscription to CCP. The more ways and people that need plex the better. If CCP could sell more plex by explicitly allowing botting, they would do it in a heartbeat.

September 27, 2013 at 9:13 am Reply
        1. Aher

You are confused , let me explain by simplifying the thing a bit . There are people (A) who pays CCP extra $ and people (B) who pays (A) people ISK to not use $ at all . (A) determines how many B’s are there NOT VICEVERSA . (B) can determine only the ingame ISK value and that is irelevant – see serenity and theyr 2 bil plex prices . If (A) leaves the game -> CCP = faliment .If (B) leaves the game , CCP loses the extra $ A loves to give him for extra ISK from (B) but still has a business . So from CCP point A>B . B is USEFUL for CCP but A is ESSENTIAL .
          Clear ?

September 27, 2013 at 11:03 am Reply
  13. -CJ-

Was there a point to this?

September 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm Reply
  14. Kicker

“However fun cannot be multiboxed.” thats why I stoped playing this best MMO. Yes, its best MMO but I stoped playing. I play another MMO, because I hate multiboxing. I realy just find horrible that you basicaly “need” to have multiple accounts. If you want to realy move around the space, especialy null sec, you need JF pilot or carier pilot and cyno alts. I want to enjoy this game, I want to play it but I just cant have fun in a place where everyone has tons of alts just to play game faster.

Maybe one day… no, it wont change. CCP likes making so much money just from one customer. But I dont blame them. :) But to me, EvE universe without multiboxing and X accounts would be just awesome place.

September 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm Reply
    1. totallypve

The fun is whatever you make it to be. I am a multi hundred billionaire super trader. But that isn’t fun for me really. Its just insurance so I can keep having fun. My fun is flying frigates against incursion belt rats. I don’t need multiple accounts to have my fun. Nor nullsec. haha!

September 27, 2013 at 9:18 am Reply
  15. iskbot#1337

economic genius at ultimate sophistication

September 26, 2013 at 10:18 pm Reply
  16. Sold

So many people cannot read. Let me give the tl;dr: The current paradigm of multi-accounting is bad for the long-term health of Eve-O.

September 27, 2013 at 1:10 am Reply
  17. Dennis the Dreamer

nice article gvelon. cheers! 1 point.

September 27, 2013 at 3:30 am Reply
  18. not quite true

The article is founded on the premise that multiboxing can not increase fun. Which is not quite true. It might be true for a miner, but in general – not. Multiboxing increases OPTIONS. With multiple accounts you can do things you can not do with a single account. Yes, in a perfect world it’s better to have live players on those accounts, but it’s not my perfect world. In my world one way or another I usually come to hate other players, so for me EVE is an antisocial game. That’s fine by me, and I don’t want the option to do things alone get taken for me, even for the sake of the general health of the game.

September 27, 2013 at 6:21 am Reply
  19. go back to wow

Would you please stop telling us in every article how much isk you have? No body cares. You obviously haven’t figured out shit because everything you said in this article is WRONG. You can have fun multiboxing. I do it all the time. I buy plex to keep my accounts active. I build stuff for my corp, I build stuff for the markets. I have many mining friends. I also have a lot of pvp friends because when they need a ship, they come see me. Why? Because I mine and I build, that’s fun for me. That’s how I play in the sandbox. Don’t like it, piss off.

September 27, 2013 at 8:21 am Reply
    1. Sidara Davidson

I second the notion.
      I myself know a lot of multiboxing people, and they do enjoy the idea of having different accounts with different toons.
      And yes, some of them actually pay for the accounts to keep them alive.

The whole problem with this thread is that it perceives the reality through its own lens, exclusively. I like it this way, I can’t see myself liking it other way, therefore, no one would.

Let me introduce you to the idea called “other people” and the notion of “different perceptions of fun”.

Oh yeah, won’t kill you to stop telling people how much ISK you got from ganking, but I guess there is no law against needless bragging (yet), so not gonna stop you.

September 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm Reply
  20. a guest

This guy has a severe disorder. Watched him yesterday ganking miners with his goblin alts for couple of hours. He brings his arrogant Pandapark mentality to EvE and is convinced that what he is doing is the only right way of playing. Let’s call it a Pokemon-Panda-Disorder or the WoW-Syndrome. This kid will stay alone in his pseudo corps forever, because truth is, nobody likes him. Besides it’s phenomenal how gevlon could make himself so unpopular to the community in a short time. EvE is about the community and he fails that principle totally. This guy in his tiny Wow bubble will soon leave the Eve stage and nobody gives a fuck about.
    I assume he is that guy in RL who gets raped by his boss and collegues in work everyday or he is 12years old. Can’t think of another option.

September 27, 2013 at 8:46 am Reply
  21. Tsugumimi Sendo

… “To increase revenues, CCP has to embrace the philosophy “we want more
    players, not more accounts”. 2 accounts played by two players worth more
    than 2 accounts played by the same player – because he is less likely
    to pay a dime to CCP”

goblin, what the hell have you been smoking. those two accounts “pay” exactly the same becaus even if they by their PLEX the PLEX has to come from somewhere. And because PLEX is more expensive than straight up game time then CCP actually makes MORE money.

September 27, 2013 at 8:56 am Reply
  22. sony_boy

Soon Sony will make dat much game better. No moar plexes, pay2play only.

September 27, 2013 at 1:32 pm Reply
    1. Muh

ccp will never allow that to happon. you sound as stupid as Goblin. couz when ccp removes plex eve will die within the year.

also, can there plz be a big warning banner or something be4 you get to goblin’s posts. it took me like 3 sentences to notice it was a stupid rambling post of that moron again.

September 27, 2013 at 8:09 pm Reply
  23. gevlon Goebbels

In before that guy quits eve and make an other blog about ‘how i trolled an entire community’

September 28, 2013 at 12:56 am Reply
  24. StupidityShouldBeCrime

GG you are just stupid. Think. With PLEX CCP managed to get playres who have money to pay the game for those who can’t pay for it. That’s it. If you have average job it’s not worth the time to grind for isk, but if you don’t earn money in RL you have PLEX that is bought by that other player. That’s it, simple, isn’t it? So, every account brings money to CCP, one way or a nother. Every account has same value to CCP. (sorry for spelling).
    Next time please think before you start making your self look stupid, You are lucky breathing is automated process or, by the looks of these articles, you would forget do do it your self.

September 28, 2013 at 4:28 am Reply
  25. phox53

dafaq did i just read?

September 28, 2013 at 9:05 am Reply
  26. Nobody

Having more accounts does help keep the PLEX market higher, which is more incentive to buy a PLEX. If they were cheaper ISK-wise to sell CCP would sell less of them,as there’s less incentive to buy them. If PLEXs were worth half a trillion I’d maybe buy one. If they were worth 50 million nobody would. To be honest I’m astonished at the low (ISK) cost of PLEX now- especially now that you can train multiple guys on one account; I thought all the players to whom ISK means nothing would have driven the price way, way, up. I by no means consider myself Eve rich, but I make about .15-.2 bil a day doing very, very little. If I spent more time and effort I know I could make way, way, way more. Especially if I had an army of alts. I do have two accounts, because you almost have to to be an official Eve player, but 90% of my money comes from just two characters. In fact, I don’t even use all my slots! I used to work more at it, but once I had enough capital I just started focusing on most isk for least effort. It was kind of fun before, but it kind of got old after awhile updating so many orders and moving so much stuff around. Even at the current level though, at the very worst I can PLEX both accounts in 10 days of doing barely anything, and at best I can maybe do it in half that if everything goes my way market-wise. I’m not doing anything special and I don’t haven’t done hundreds of hours of spreadsheet work. I may not be ultra-rich, but it is astonishingly easy to PLEX a couple accounts with minimal effort (once you have enough capital). In short, I think the value of PLEX is quite low, and more people using them would generate more competition and thus higher prices, which ought to equate to more PLEXs sold by CCP.

In regards to “regular miners” I will admit, somewhat grudgingly, that I do mine some (although it is a small percent of my income, even though I spend more time on it than other ISK making activities). Mostly while reading or watching TV. So I’m not literally “AFK,” but I’m not really watching it close either. I’ve developed a great sense of devoting complete attention to whatever else I’m doing, and seeing Eve peripherally without even knowing I’m doing it. Especially with reading. If it’s something real engaging on TV like a movie I won’t do it, but I read a lot and I figured might as well make some minimal ISK while sitting there. I bet there’s a lot of other people who do that. They might not admit it, but every little bit helps, so why not. If you use the minerals yourself it even helps cut down on the logistical work of obtaining and hauling minerals, especially since high-sec is so full of trit and scord: the stuff you need the most of. Even if you only mine a smaller percentage of what you need it’s that much less stuff to obtain.

September 29, 2013 at 2:08 am Reply