Comments

The EVE blogs and forums are exploding with the new ToS “not”-change where impersonation of other players and organizations were banned – even if it’s true.

Many people claim that the ToS change is an attempt to decrease scamming. I don’t think it’s the case. The case is about a fundamental MMO-problem: alts. In theory if you do something in game, you suffer the consequences in the game. Practically it can be avoided by alts. You do something with a character, who will suffer the consequences, but you, the player don’t care as you are enjoying the benefits while playing another character. Despite EVE is marketed as a living world, it’s not. Pilots come out of nowhere with money and knowledge no newbie can posses, do things and disappear in the shadows forever. For example, I (the player) gank miners.

The game says that such actions are to be penalized by low security status and kill rights on me. However I, the player can safely haul billions around – as another pilot. There is absolutely no way for the ganked miner – or rather the white knight fighting for him – to retaliate. Me, the player could hurt his progress in game, he can’t do the same to me.

Alts are both unavoidable and necessary. CCP income comes from subscriptions, they can’t just ban alts. Even if they did, players would avoid it by proxies and virtual machines – like botters do to protect their main accounts from banning when the bot account is found. Sure, CCP does some alt-hunting in bot ban cases, but they often fail to find them all. If you can’t enforce a rule, you shouldn’t make the rule, or you instantly reward those who can break and get away with it.

I suggest the following set of rules to achieve what CCP tries to achieve:

- An official alt-following page on character sheet. Call it “family” for roleplaying reasons.

- Same-account alts are automatically listed. It’s not really a change, as CCP already provides account-wide API keys which every corp recruiter will ask for anyway. Also, this is easy to enforce by CCP.

- Accounts can be linked by the player on the management site, upon linking, all characters show up on the “family” page of each other.

- You can’t un-alt an alt except for open character bazaar sale, where it’s automatically done

- Watchlists, chatroom and personal bans affect all alts.

- You are not required to connect all your accounts (CCP couldn’t enforce if they’d require it), but claiming to be an alt of someone without your family page supporting it is bannable. The GM first warns you to fix your page by linking accounts in case the claim was true, if you can’t, you get banned. Temporarily if the lie was casual, permanently if it was used to scam/spy (so “I’m very rich, because I’m actually Chribba” is temp-ban, “trust me with this business, as I’m Chribba” is permaban).

- Even claiming to have an unnamed alt is bannable. If you say “I have a highsec missioner alt to get ISK” or “my nullsec main will hunt you down” and someone reports you, the GM will request you to add an alt fitting the description to your family page, and bans you if you fail to.

- These rule applies to in-game chat, forums, and any third party media that you call your own in-game, so I can’t claim on my blog that Botslayer Goblin and Gevlon Goblin are both my pilots without the in-game family page representing it.

- Kill rights and security status is shared by all family members

- Family members must be in the same corp (NPC corps count as one). This would make a player unable to dodge wardecs by out-of-corp alts, except by leaving the corp for the NPC corp completely. When one family member is accepted to a corp, all of them automatically follow. When one kicked or leaving for NPC, all do.

The above rules wouldn’t outlaw having secret alts (that can’t be enforced), but would ban you from mentioning their existence. You always have to watch your mouth. If you slip just once and reported, the GM will warn you to add the alt to your page and if you are unable to – because you lied – bans you.

Sure, I could roll new ganker pilots to prevent my main getting security status hit and kill rights, but I couldn’t blog about their adventures, couldn’t link their kills to anyone. Or I could roll new secret trading pilots but then I couldn’t blog about trading. One way or another I, the player, would have only one in-game identity: the upstanding trader who generates GDP by mutually beneficial trades and cutting down margins or the ganker who kills anything that isn’t tanked.

This change wouldn’t disallow spying and scamming, there are spies and scammers in real life despite lack of throwaway alts there. You would have to build up an identity from scratch and be very careful not to slip once, mentioning your outside connections. Similarly, if you join a corp, all your listed alts join, becoming wardeccable. You can’t be a “nullsec PvPer who doesn’t give a damn” and run 4 Retrievers on the other screen. The corp recruiter will ask why do 4 non-listed pilots send you ISK. If you answer “they are my alts”, the recruiter can report you if you turn out to be a bad recruit, forcing you to make the Retriever pilots linked, therefore wardeccable if your main is in a player corp. You either have to fully commit yourself to the corp joining with all alts or you have to find a corp which doesn’t care why do 4 non-listed pilots are sending you ISK.

My point is that in EVE you can be an upstanding citizen, a warrior of a cause or a pirate looking for booty, but you should have a singular in-game identity. Your actions (performed trough one pilot) should have consequences on your whole in-game existence and not just on that throwaway pilot.

- Gevlon Goblin

His EVE journey show a very interesting “outside the box” approach to the game, PVE and the trade hubs, reason for which we invite you to pay a visit to his blog.

1. riverini

in b4 the goblin article related tears…

September 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm Reply
    1. Dumbledore

Well, we should give the man credit for stirring up discussions.

September 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm Reply
      1. I just do not know

Well I was banging on about this in multiple threads over the last few days

September 19, 2013 at 6:47 pm Reply
  2. Sthapit

Stop letting him publish, especially when an unrelated article mentions his ‘prodigious, ganking

September 19, 2013 at 4:38 pm Reply
  3. guest

Hmm. it ca be done easier.
    Killing a ship in high sec, will flag your all chars on acount as criminal for 60 days …
    CCP profit, more alts … :)

September 19, 2013 at 4:40 pm Reply
  4. William

actually i think this is a great idea and could be implemented with very small changes to clean up and clarify the “rules”

Great idea

September 19, 2013 at 4:44 pm Reply
  5. Dick Hauser

How can i impersonate myself? Isnt that just regular personating? Feels like CCP has in essence banned lying in EVE, a bizarre step which can only be motivated by protecting newbies from being scammed and unsubcribing.
    The result is mass confusion and tons of extrawork for CCP if they want to enforce their rules. If then dont they will also be ridiculed.

Why even go there?

September 19, 2013 at 4:44 pm Reply
  6. Ashesofempires

This just sounds like it would create more problems than it would solve. For CCP and for the playerbase, it would just be an incredible amount of work to implement and police. Super alts, freighter alts, cyno alts, trader alts, or generally any character you own that you wish to keep a secret, you basically wouldn’t be able to utilize because of the possibility of getting banned for offering to help someone by providing the services of your alts.

For CCP to police this, they would have to filter through chat logs, sort the legit requests from the ones made in error or the ones made out of spite, dig through however many accounts that a player may have, and try to decide whether or not they could be referring to a character that is listed, and in a case like mine, they wouldn’t be able to conclusively tell if I was lying because I can fly nearly any ship in the game. It would require a lot of automation (not easy to implement), and huge group of GM’s to sort through accounts, or an even larger group of GM’s in order to do it without automation.

There’s also the legal grey area, where impersonation is only against the ToS if it’s done with malicious intent (to scam), rather than as a bluff (watch out, I have a pvp toon that can kill you), or wholly innocent-natured (I have a trader alt in Jita, want me to buy some isotopes for you?).

This idea is unworkable, both in technical terms (a nightmare to build automation to sort legit ban requests from non), and in terms of staffing (would take an army of GM’s to actually tell if someone had a character that was capable of flying X ship, owned X ship, and had it linked to a “family”).

September 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm Reply
    1. Dumbledore

Yes sir.

In addition, I guess you can use virtual servers, proxies, and such stuff (that we wizards no nothing about) to have undetectable alts anyway.

September 19, 2013 at 5:38 pm Reply
      1. riverini

+1 for the wizard reference… =__=

September 19, 2013 at 5:48 pm Reply
    2. Dirty Rotten Sneaky Bastard

To counter your point, That Senior GM (I forget his name atm, Kalidore or something) did not say anything about intent being one of the criteria to get banned, he just used it for an example. Basically, they created a huge grey area in which a GM can ban you for even claiming ownership to your own alts if he/she gets a notion to do so.

September 19, 2013 at 11:28 pm Reply
      1. Ashesofempires

That’s not really a counterpoint. If anything, it further emphasizes how unworkable GG’s proposition is. If a GM cannot discern who owns which characters, is prone to making mistakes as to the ownership of a character, or there is potential for abuse, then it’s not a plan that can be implemented with any sort of confidence.

it’s essentially the same reason they don’t reimburse ships after major fleet battles that involve lag based mishaps. There’s very little confidence that ships lost were lost to lag or if they died legitimately.

September 20, 2013 at 9:37 pm Reply
  7. Sharlandra

I support this idea. May make some people rage quit and spew tears all over forums, I’ll raise my tear collection jar to that.

September 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm Reply
    1. Dragon Outlaw

Yep! It would bring the “consequence bar” up to the lvl it should have always been in the 1st place. +1 for me to.

September 19, 2013 at 5:16 pm Reply
  8. The Obvious

EvE needs alts. It’s about skill training. EvE skills are a unique animal from typical mmos. In another game, if i wanted to change up who i was and how i played, I’d start a new character and grind it up. Without ever identifying that the white knight good guy is now the ass that’s ruining your day. In EvE you can’t grind, you need alts training on alt accounts in order to create the skill to do what you want in different aspects of the game. With heavy specialization being typical early on. But I need to keep those 2 personas seperate in order to protect not only myself but my friends.
    If somebody wants to spend the money for 10 accounts, let them, if they want to keep those accounts seperate with no ties other than who is sitting at the keyboard, let them. If you want to say you are somebody you aren’t, go for it. It’s on the player to have the intelligence to research. It’s on the large entities to establish public protocol for verification. You take away a large portion of the game when you hold hands.

September 19, 2013 at 4:56 pm Reply
  9. Matti

The only thing I don’t agree with is forcing all characters in the same corp. I’ve been in a situation before where I wanted to try WH but wasn’t ready to leave the corp I called home. So I put two chars in the WH corp and left one in my Null corp. Mostly to.remain social with my null buddies. I would not have tried WH at all if I had been forced into an either/or decision.

September 19, 2013 at 4:58 pm Reply
  10. Forum Alt

Kinda dumb. Why should my faction warfare alt that i use for pvp and rp have anything to do with my highsec trading alt? If i chose to roam the areas in null sec why should my logi incursion alt be forced to stay docked up? Alts are alts for a reason. People want to do different things. I love being able to just switch to an alt because everyone went to bed in my incursion group, or some idiot wont lower the war dec on my mission alts so i go pvp in null. Connecting accounts is a horrible idea and would be impossible to control.

September 19, 2013 at 5:22 pm Reply
    1. Loot Fairy

Stop yer crying, what you’re doing is obviously masking a breach of the EULA

September 20, 2013 at 2:58 am Reply
  11. Nofearion

While I do agree on many points, this line would make recruiting a lot easier and cut down on the number of Awoxers, however while I have alts in the same corp, one is pvp one is indy, I do not think having kill rights on all my alts is necessary. this would alos be abused so very much. as in you get dragged into a conflict on one toon, you save they day but get kill rights on you. then low and behold you freighter toon gets hacked in half buy the guys whose reaper you just blew ups alt. See vicious circle in all that.

September 19, 2013 at 6:16 pm Reply
  12. Kinis Deren

Hmmm, thought provoking item. I too would have misgivings about forcing all characters on my account into the same corp because my intention is for those alts to support the activities of a character on a second account.

What do you think about removing the biomass option? Afterall, shouldn’t we have to live with the consequences of our skilling/character creation decisions as well as in game actions?

September 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm Reply
  13. Darth Nefarius

It’d be fun watching the first ALTaGEDDON where all the Goons create trial acounts and claim they are mittens and the GMs after working 10 days straight without sleep verifying & banning people all commit mass Seppuku

September 19, 2013 at 6:23 pm Reply
    1. GSection

Actually, brilliant!

September 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm Reply
      1. Dirty Rotten Sneaky Bastard

That may save Eve, one can only hope.

September 19, 2013 at 11:12 pm Reply
  14. I just do not know

I am not so sure about forcing people to put all their accounts in the same corp, my idea is to have that familly API which you can chose to allow or not. This means that you can keep your accounts secret, but it also means that your characters are flagged as not checkable so corp CEO has to think long and hard about whether they accept them or not. I certainly would not however.
    In terms of people using nefarious means to get around it, well I expect that some people will do it, but make it a perm ban offense.
    I think Goblin is going a lot further with this then I would.

September 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm Reply
  15. Esoteria

“The corp recruiter will ask why do 4 non-listed pilots send you ISK. If you answer “they are my alts”, the recruiter can report you if you turn out to be a bad recruit, forcing you to make the Retriever pilots linked, therefore wardeccable if your main is in a player corp. You either have to fully commit yourself to the corp joining with all alts or you have to find a corp which doesn’t care why do 4 non-listed pilots are sending you ISK.”

Uhm … How about no? I don’t want to fully comit to one single thing completely and don’t be able to do other things. This entire mindgame is, although interesting and I agree to some points, flawed. Complete comittment is not what I am locking for in this game; I look for diverse entertainment, not just one activity.

September 19, 2013 at 6:55 pm Reply
  16. Grunt

Alt automatically be listed, are you fucking nuts? No, just no. Alts are there for a reason and that reason should persist. This is EVE for fuck sake, not sesamestreet online! If you cannot deal with the EVE situations, go back to pokemon or whatever.

September 19, 2013 at 7:11 pm Reply
  17. s1ni5t3r

Excellent. You have solved a problem that doesn’t actually exist.

September 19, 2013 at 8:04 pm Reply
    1. I just do not know

Well you are obviously utterly brain dead!

September 19, 2013 at 8:10 pm Reply
      1. Esoteria

Care to elaborate your brain activity?

September 19, 2013 at 8:36 pm Reply
        1. I just do not know
          September 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm Reply
  18. Infinite Panda

Been awhile since I’ve been here… still bashing on Gevlon like a bunch of cranky old fuckers? There’s no denying his point that alts break all the immersion and one-universeyness. Nerd zero felt like he have to multibox to “win” and it all went downhill from there :p

September 19, 2013 at 9:48 pm Reply
    1. Daniel Plain

real name policy is now coming to EVE online! good day and thanks for playing.

September 20, 2013 at 8:41 am Reply
  19. Freedomforalts

how about no to any of this.

September 19, 2013 at 10:13 pm Reply
  20. stoke

gevlon sucks dick? oh where art thou?

September 19, 2013 at 10:20 pm Reply
    1. GEVLON SUCKS DICK!

sry, not this time. that shit is really exhausting. feel free to do it on your own.

September 20, 2013 at 11:26 am Reply
      1. Daniel Plain

you had one job! ONE JOB!

September 20, 2013 at 12:35 pm Reply
  21. tara read

“I’ve protected the ToS change and still do. But it needs clarification, explanation and maybe more changes. It clearly needs accepting the fact that changes have been made.

Many people claim that the ToS change is an attempt to decrease scamming. I don’t think it’s the case.”

And I’ve already written a rebuttal why you are dead wrong Gelvon.

September 19, 2013 at 10:24 pm Reply
    1. BS

Guess what, noone cares :P

September 21, 2013 at 7:33 pm Reply
  22. Dirty Rotten Sneaky Bastard

I am beginning to think that it is time to move on. CCP, kudos to you guys… you have possibly destroyed something special and unique in the world of MMO’s… Eve Online. If this doesn’t change, I will probably unsub both of my accounts at the end of this month.

September 19, 2013 at 11:15 pm Reply
    1. Glenn

So your going to leave EVE and play another game because CCP is making it the smallest bit harder to scam people, I call BULLSHIT. Your not going to quit, your just going to go on and about it like the spoilt child that you are.

What game are you going to switch to that is more encoraging of scamming and fraud ?

September 19, 2013 at 11:45 pm Reply
      1. Dirty Rotten Sneaky Bastard

Go read the dev blogs. The grey area is so large, you can get banned for claiming ownership of your own alts if a GM has the notion to. I don’t scam, but it is part of the landscape of Eve. I came to Eve because of the unbridled freedom in this game, they are demolishing that, piece, by piece. I’m not going to watch the destruction of the game I love.

September 20, 2013 at 1:03 am Reply
        1. I just do not know

The scam you just detailed is still OK, what is your issue? I am campaigning against meta gaming based on linkable accounts, which Goblin has taken up, though he is going further than I would.
          The TOS needs work on, and quite frankly the hit piece by James315 was based on absurd examples which is what you just referred to.

September 20, 2013 at 7:32 am Reply
          1. Dikreathz

No I have already un-subbed 3 account from eve with one left, the problem is that before one could say have an alt pirate for fun and an alt miner for income and you could join a corp intending to awox, this would limit your options drastically goodbye sandbox RETARD!

September 20, 2013 at 9:01 am
          2. I just do not know

Being called a Retard by such as you is a compliment, thank you, the issue here is that due to the accounts not being linked in some way it makes it really easy to awox or steal. You might as well call Eve Scamming Kitty online. Because you want it so easy don’t you, so gald to hear you have unsubbed, unsub your last loser account too dimwit because you are obviously incapable of playing thise game without meta gaming.

September 20, 2013 at 4:18 pm
        2. Lucas

LOL, You are such and idiot. You can’t get banned for claiming your own alts. The only thing the devs and GM have stated for sure is that the way they are working now is in NO WAY different from this time last year. NOTHING HAS CHANGED.
          All they did was move already existing rules from naming guidelines to ToS so it was covered by their legal team. You arean’t allowed to name a character in such a way that it you are impersonating another user. You aren’t allowed to maliciously claim to be an NPC, since NPCs are treated as having more power in game (yes, some people convinced others they were NPCs and would get penalties for not paying over stuff).
          You are still free to scam in all the same ways as you did before. the rules being enforced now are the rules that have always been enforced.

But if you give up on the game you love just because of a change in wording, then you clearly didn’t love it enough.

September 20, 2013 at 10:35 am Reply
  23. Kamar Raimo

Unbelievable! Gevlon Goblin managed to write a piece I can actually agree with.

I used to work as a spy in EVE, and the last thing you ever would want to do is claiming to be anything you are not (apart from not saying you are spying for a third party) or mentioning any of your alts. If you scam and you’re doing it by claiming to be a representative of someone who doesn’t have your back, you are being an amateur anyway.

These days, metagaming is so strong, that CCP actually needs to cover it as well. There’s a thing to EVE which is supposed to be unforgiving for the stupid and amateurish. Guess what, they just invented a clause that does not simply punish the wannabe elite pilot with a failfit. Now they also punish the wannabe metagamers with a crappy strategy.

I am sure the really professional scammers will rejoice at the reduction of competition.

September 20, 2013 at 1:35 am Reply
  24. Paul Clanner

Goblyn has OK rite-ups, only put off by his speling of the wrd trough. Why some1 what cant spel is dong ritting 4 a qalty publickation like this is – I dunno.

The word is “through” not “trough”, lose not loose – pls learn to spell

September 20, 2013 at 1:38 am Reply
    1. Kamar Raimo

Maybe he meant a trough, as in, you know the things that pigs eat from :D

September 20, 2013 at 1:39 am Reply
      1. N3 Fanbud

I lol’d

September 21, 2013 at 12:31 pm Reply
  25. NOTMMORPG

So EVE would be the first MMORPG to officially make roleplaying a bannable offense in the game??? *HAHAHAHHAHA*

An ALT character is ANOTHER CHARACTER, separate and distinct from EVERY OTHER CHARACTER IN THE GAME. You cannot force the player to create and play all of his individual characters in the same fashion. That is the antithesis of what MMORPG’s actually are and why they are actually played.

In EVE (and other MMORPG’s) a player can create a character and take on his own persona in the game world. That’s a core deffinition of what an MMORPG truly is. On the other hand, no matter how many copies of Legend of Zelda were ever sold, every player who played the game, played as the same hero, Link.

However, if you lump all of the Legend of Zelda players into the same game world and let them all play at the same time, with a few hundred thousand little Links running all over Hirule, what you would have is an MMO (massive multiplayer online) game…..NOT and MMORPG (massive multiplayer online “roleplaying game”)

By even considering any type of real-world, physical connection between any two characters in the EVE Universe, you are basically undermining the premise at the heart of what a roleplaying game truly is — which is the ability to assume a uniquely identifiable fictional persona in a fictional world. Whether the game itself allows you to create one character per account or three or ten characters per account, each character is a distinct being in the game world and any real-world ties between those characters (such as being alts controlled by the same player — or even multiple characters being played by a group of players who know each other in real life and work as a team) that facet of gameplay is an integral part of the social makeup of multiplayer gaming.

You cannot simply link a group of characters together as a game mechanic and call them a family simply because they are controlled by a single player or because they engage in the same in-game activity. If that is the case being supported, then at what point does the definition of “family” cease to apply? Are your characters and your roommate’s characters considered “family” if they have the same billing address and CCP can see that on their account info? From CCP’s end, you and your roommate share the same IP address…does that mean that your characters must be linked together in the game world because CCP has no way to physically differentiate between the accounts on their server access logs?

Seriously….think about what you’re saying.

September 20, 2013 at 7:51 am Reply
    1. Lucas

You don’t understand though. Gevlon doesn’t believe in RP, that’s for morons. The ONLY way to play any game is to strive for being the best of a given metric. He picked ISK, then after a couple of hundred B, realised there’s people with 10T+, and realised he’d never beat them. Now he’s trying to reach the top of the corp KBs, but considering the current top ones beat his lifetime total in under 3 days, he’ll eventually quit that too.
      You must pikc ONE metric, and all of your character must do that and only that! Games aren’t for fun, they are for WINNING.

Lol, Gevlon is such a pleb.

September 20, 2013 at 10:26 am Reply
  26. Guest

well according to the new ToS, if Gevlon Goblin admitted That Botslayer Goblin is his Alt, and you gave isk to Botslayer Goblin because of that,, you will get him banned for “impersonating” himself.

September 20, 2013 at 7:57 am Reply
    1. Joseph Blade

might be worth a try.

September 20, 2013 at 4:09 pm Reply
  27. LOL.

i believe stupid blog posts should be a bannable offense.

September 20, 2013 at 8:43 am Reply
  28. Highsec scrub

Came expecting a terrible goblin artical did not leave unsatisfied

September 20, 2013 at 9:41 am Reply
  29. BS

WoW mwntality meets EvE. And fails again

September 20, 2013 at 9:43 am Reply
  30. GG is a faggot

GG you are a fucking cunt, and i hope you die of aids chocking on a shit stained cock!

You are using alts for ganking just like the other faggots, who fear the consequence of going negative sec-status. Real eve players go negative and wait out the kill rights in low or null-sec while they get their sec-status back up, fuck the faggots who needs alts and fuck you GG.

September 20, 2013 at 10:35 am Reply
  31. some german guy

How to read a GG Article :

1) ctrl+f
    2) keywords : “ME” , “CFC” , “OVER” , “GANKED” , “GOONS”
    3) optional keywords: “PVP” ,
    4) profit

September 20, 2013 at 1:14 pm Reply
  32. BS

Next goblin idea: lets put Concord to low and nulsec so i can brag about how ganking miners is l33t pvp all around eve not only in hisec

September 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm Reply
  33. orly?

Goblin Article = Lowered Expectations.

Anyone that I’m blue to who actually matters has a full API or trust/verification through agreement with someone who does.

Everyone else is a target for me, and I to them.

Besides – WHAT is the point of this when most (probably all) of the worst crooks, killers, spies, thieves etc in Eve have multiple accounts..

Also – and you might not understand this but there ARE people in this game… plenty in fact who play two sides COMPLETELY loyal. They’re friend and foe, using information about whichever hostile faction in only very limited ways, and only for themselves. Otherwise they’re completely loyal to whatever faction / side / coalition they logged in as that day. For some it’s a new challenge – others are just bat-$!)(! crazy.

Either way it’s their choice – OUR choice.

September 20, 2013 at 3:24 pm Reply
  34. Gaius

What about: No?

September 20, 2013 at 4:13 pm Reply
  35. ggforcms

At this point, I am for GG for CSM. It would be so absolutely hilarious to read those minutes.
    GG For CSM!

September 20, 2013 at 4:15 pm Reply
  36. Atogrim

Your article is bad and you should feel bad!!!

September 20, 2013 at 4:25 pm Reply
  37. Ringurin

This is actually sad. All the hate towards this post even though its an actual good idea. You people cry and whine that he can do all the ganking he does and then hops to another alt to dodge the heat from it. What he is suggesting is to prevent that. This idea isnt to prevent you from playing the sandbox like you should. It’s to prevent you from being a two faced little shit who wants to be ganker and brag about it while you fund yourself with another account. Your alt isnt a whole new person unless your bipolar and your different personality is playing the other. You are all of your characters and I honestly think you should have to face the consequences of it. I dont care much for GG’s ganking at all but this idea prevents him from doing it how he is now. Think about that you whiney ass miners

September 20, 2013 at 5:09 pm Reply
    1. Atogrim

No. This is about politics, spys and all that makes eve to what it has been for years: the slaughterhouse that most eve players love the way it is.

September 21, 2013 at 10:22 am Reply
    2. random guy

the problem there is ganking is so easy to do that any wowtard can manage it… i dont have a problem with ganking but it should take skill/time/planning like it used to now its not hard to just jump in a thrasher and hit f1…

September 27, 2013 at 2:51 pm Reply
  38. BS

Usually I’m mad after reading goblin article. Because I’m afraid there is someone mad enough in CCP who will listen to his ideas. This time I just laugh. Those ideas are so stupid that Ii’s just funny to read them :) Gevlon still didin’t crawl out from WoW mentality hehe

September 21, 2013 at 11:56 am Reply
    1. Atogrim

Well at least we can be sure something like this will not happen. Beside the fact that in my opinion this article is something between naive and utterly stupid, the technical changes it would need to implement his wet carebear dreams and the manpower needed to enforce them ingame are just too big.

September 21, 2013 at 12:55 pm Reply
  39. Nobody

As much as they make life easier, out of corp alts are kinda gay. At the same time, if you didn’t allow it it would start a revolt. People wouldn’t stand for it methinks. Plus more and more alts helps CCP make more money, which is their purpose.

The don’t ask don’t tell alt policy is… I don’t think it’s very well thought out. I don’t think this guy always has such terrible ideas as everyone else says, but this is one of them that is creating that reputation.

September 22, 2013 at 1:36 am Reply
  40. bigcountry

I wonder , do you sit and huff paint or snack on lead paint chips right before you write an article ??? whatever it is , you obviously get high before writing this crap..

September 24, 2013 at 3:16 pm Reply
  41. not gunna happen

No, just no. on so many levels. . .

September 26, 2013 at 6:26 am Reply
  42. Flass Maximus

I’m not sure about this to be honest. I have four accounts and do not commonly scam, awox or spy. I simply like to play with different circles at my own leisure. Even from my viewpoint I can see the downsides to this suggested change.

Eve is a unique environment, a place not unlike a pirate city, where the scum of the earth come to butt heads and feed off each other. The reason it is so beautiful is this anarchy. the unknowingness. to take away a freedom like anonymity between toons is taking away a vital dynamic that contributes to the sandbox in a big way.

If i wanted to play a game that was completely structured and devoid of the need to create my own fun I would be playing a console right now instead of Eve, walking along the invisible walls.

Its also taking away the role of the information gatherer / broker, a fun job that is vital, especially in null but in every field from Highsec to Wh space.

It also negatively effects All capital pilots, moreso for super and titan pilots. it takes one of these info gatherers to find out who owns what super / cap within an alliance and usually involves a lot of risk. if they were required to be linked solo supers and fishing fleets would come to an abrupt end. I’m sure some would consider this a good thing but I believe taking away the ability to do anything in this environment is taking the fun away from the subscribers.

We Want to work out how to fight the impossible, Ourselves. We Want to Play David AND Goliath, sometimes at once. We Want the Mind Games, We Want the Danger, we want the Hostility, the paranoia and Lack of trust. We want to fight with words and actions behind the scenes as well as with guns and missiles at the frontline! We Want Every option to achieve the goals we set ourselves, including changing our faces and identities. We Want to Lead the sheep to slaughter singing Happy songs of praise to our dirty universe!

If these changes come into play I will be considering ditching my four toons. the appeal would have been lost in this sea of ‘fairness’ that threatens to ruin our beautiful and anarchic universe.

October 1, 2013 at 5:06 am Reply
    1. Albus Dumbledore

I see professor snape has taught you well young Flass Maximus. I will require a potion by mid day to turn my alts in to all mains. We shall meet at platform 9 3/4

October 1, 2013 at 7:36 am Reply
      1. Flass Maximus

I shall prepare a Polytoon potion for You. Tell snape to open the Supply Room plox.

October 1, 2013 at 7:38 am Reply
        1. Flass Maximus

Also no more bad touch Mr Dumbledore. I am underage.. (apparently)

October 1, 2013 at 7:38 am Reply