Comments

Ask anyone what made them join the world of New Eden and chances are you’ll get a different answer every time. One player may tell you “I was drawn in by the sandbox aspect, the living breathing economy and cutthroat politics” whereas an industrial player might tell you “I was looking for excuses to make spreadsheets, and eve online provides me with this for a mere ten pounds a month.” We may all have had different beginnings, but are we all heading towards the same demise?

My personal reasoning for joining eve donkeys years ago (and yes a donkeys year is an official SI unit, look it up) was one of a mistake, my tank had stopped showing up to raids for three weeks down to some MMO I had not heard of, and I thought I would go in there and see what all the fuss was about. What I was greeted with would change my life forever (in terms of gaming anyroad). Now I was going to list what it was that caused me to be taken away by eve but to be quite frank I was won over the second I saw the beautiful nebulae and the breathtaking music.

On my first day I was thrown into the universe as a little Minmatar without the first idea of what to do, I had no direction, no goals and no ambition. A friend told me to begin by mining some veldspar to make a few isk. So I set off in my bad ass reaper and warped to the nearest asteroid belt. At the belt I was greeted by a friendly fellow who had decided to get in his retriever, fly to the nearest 1.0 system and AFK mine velspar for days. To me this man looked like a god, his ship was massive and his mining lasers were crazy insane (this was back when strip miners still made that oh so beautiful sound children) and he was friendly, he gave me 100k and told me to go buy a thrasher, I couldn’t believe a stranger had just given me such a large amount of cash, I wanted to be JUST like him.

The following weeks I seemed to do an inordinate amount of crap without actually doing anything at all. I completed a handful of missions, I started a corp and was repeatedly murdered by the first guy I recruited, and I fitted my Thrasher with as many different lasers and ammo types as possible, because lets face it, more colours equals more damage. Any even after all of these experiences I was in no way more experienced as I was from day one, I did eventually go on to join FW and was taken under the wing of a fairly decent FC which is the point I consider the beginning of my eve career, but its also the point my hazardous slip in to monotony began.

So looking back now, from my big ship in my stable position in a stable corp in a stable alliance with a stable cash flow, why do those times of such confusion and ignorance look like better, more exciting days? and the answer is, because they were. As with most MMOs the issue is down to poor endgame, it’s difficult for game devs to keep endgame interesting and exciting, to keep that fire burning from when you first walked wide eyed into its respective world and why should eve be any different. “But eve doesn’t have an endgame!” I hear you scream, well sit back down and un-flip that table because chances are, it does, it sucks, and it’s your own creation.

We come into the world with a goal, and we achieve it… we get our super, or make a trillion isk or we finally become that guy mining veldspar in 1.0 systems. Now what?… Bugger all, that’s what. We enter a grinding rut of monotonous boredom doing the same thing day in day out, and just like that old crone of a wife you may be keeping at home we begin to see problems in the things we once loved. Issues arise and we resort to complaining to CCP about game mechanics or hiding in our bedrooms on space based MMOs in a feeble attempt to avoid having to converse over dinner. I’m not saying that eve is perfect and all of your complaints are made up, I’m just suggesting next time you find yourself staring at the crows feet and bags of the beat up face of a world you once loved, go and try something different, go find yourself a smokin’ hot mistress and do something new, go muck around in wormhole space or fill a jump freighter with exotic dancers and see how far you can autopilot into Goon space. Maybe all the problems are real, and I’m an idiot, and I’m sure you’ll let me know in the comments if this is indeed the case, but its got to be worth a try, no?

- Bo Jangles

1. LexArson

Start your own corp. That’s a great way to keep you busy for a few years.

September 14, 2013 at 10:15 pm Reply
  2. muh

it all depends on where you set your goals. if flying any ship is your end goal in the game, youre just doing it wrong. its the same as in life. when you reach your goal, set a new harder goal. and thats the big difference between eve and all those other mmo’s. eve got endless oppertunity’s to set new goals which to achive.

or do it like me, my goal is to conquer eve by starting up in my own little corp which eventualy will conquer all of new eden. i geaz that will keep me busy for the coming time :D

September 15, 2013 at 1:49 am Reply
  3. Dirk MacGirk

Re: Eve has no endgame: “chances are, it does, it sucks, and it’s your own creation.”

Yep, it is all what you and the multitude of others make it. But maybe, changes to the game need to come just to spice things up. People will always bitch about this or that, but sometimes you just need to change for change’s sake in order to keep it all vibrant and interesting.

September 15, 2013 at 1:51 am Reply
  4. Justin Cody

You really do make your own end game…sand box n all. On the other hand there is a severe lack of progression after a decade if you have been around that long. If you haven’t been around since 03/04 then chances are you have not gotten close to “end game”.

Otherwise put your thinking cap on and try doing something hard…unique or at least grief people for fun. If you just want bigger and bigger ships to get into…then you will have to wait a long time for something other than a titan or super.

September 15, 2013 at 2:18 am Reply
  5. Eve Mogul

I think for many it eventually becomes less about pushing the mechanics of the game to the limits and more about interacting and influencing people in some way, shape or form. The mechanics are largely set, but depending on what goal you’ve set people are an ever-changing challenge.

September 15, 2013 at 3:11 am Reply
  6. .

speaking of JF’s with exotic dancers

September 15, 2013 at 3:29 am Reply
  7. Red Teufel

get into the politics of running a corp and alliance. that will keep your interest for a while.

September 15, 2013 at 3:33 am Reply
    1. Dirk MacGirk

or kill you completely. lol

September 15, 2013 at 3:45 am Reply
      1. qwero

yep, thats more likely

September 15, 2013 at 3:05 pm Reply
  8. Still plenty to do!

I’ve been playing for a few years, and there are still a lot of ideas I’d like to pursue, if I could just shake my addiction to that silly Real Life game (where I make a billion isk an hour for sitting in a capsule sized “cubicle” pushing buttons).

September 15, 2013 at 4:18 am Reply
  9. Pregnant Wombat

It’s pretty simple… its a sandbox game. You define the content. You define what calls you a winner, and you define the journey it takes to get you there. However, why box yourself in?

Do you want to join the biggest alliance in the game and be able to sit on top from day 1?

Do you want to start from scratch and build your own alliance up to the top?

Do you know a few people that are just fun to hang out with and thats all it matters?

You define your gameplay experience in eve. No one else does. There’s no corp leader, alliance leader, FC or whoever that can get you to have a fun time. It’s purely up to you how you choose to spend your time playing the game.

You can either sit in the station with your retriever while reds come through, or you can grab a pvp ship and see what you can do. Just remember, its your subscription… you are the one that makes the ultimate decision.

September 15, 2013 at 7:48 am Reply
  10. CallMeKenneth

the term “end game” is used by retarded wow players, are you a wow player? do you expect “end game”? then go find the carrot tied to the stick somewhere else. EVE has no end game, and the writer of this article has no fucking clue of what game hes playing.

September 15, 2013 at 8:00 am Reply
    1. BS

Who cares how you call it. Theres endgame in every aspect of eve when you did enough to get bored. Otherwise noone would be leaving eve. Stop treat EvE like some world wonder because it’s not. Its just a regular mmo game, and some people treat it like some fucking religion.

September 15, 2013 at 9:22 am Reply
      1. na

“End game according to who, you and OP.” Been playing this shit since mid 2007, and guess what I do when im bored with eve? Play another game or chill ax in real life like read a book, magazine, go to pub/club (alot) or speak to wife and kids. At times taken a month of here and there. So unless you unsubbed and sold your accounts, I bet s high number are inactives who return or bitter vets likewise return a few years later. Eve is eve no game style like it with all the forums and political shit which I’m afraid I enjoy when not plugged into the game.

September 15, 2013 at 10:05 am Reply
    2. Bo Jangles

Repeating what i just said in a previous comment:
      “”Endgame” is an ambiguous term but it is principally used to describe the activities and content available to players at max level. now eve may not have a distinct level structure but for some people they create one in their head, and they create a max level, for example a miner might find that his max level was to get a rorq, and when they get there they often stop, lose direction and ambition and get bored.”

so in that way it DOES have an end game, you may be lucky enough that you’ve always got stuff going on, things exciting you and are kept entertained, but that doesn’t mean everyone’s like you.

September 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm Reply
      1. lol

Bo Jangles please just take your trolling.

September 16, 2013 at 1:07 pm Reply
  11. niponiel

sounds like the things that TEST would do

September 15, 2013 at 9:29 am Reply
  12. LOL.

baka. EVE does not have an endgame. Endgame is something for singleplayer games with attached chat and level cap, such as swtor, sto, wow, aion..

Endgame is a specific term – and you are using it wrong.

BTW: if eve gets monotonous to you try do something you haven’t done, or to fly with people you don’t know.

September 15, 2013 at 11:51 am Reply
    1. Bo Jangles

Congratulations on missing the entire point, your medal is in the post.

“Endgame” is an ambiguous term but it is principally used to describe the activities and content available to players at max level. now eve may not have a distinct level structure but for some people they create one in their head, and they create a max level, for example a miner might find that his max level was to get a rorq, and when they get there they often stop, lose direction and ambition and get bored.

I especially enjoy where you agree with me at the end, well done.

September 15, 2013 at 1:10 pm Reply
      1. Cloora

You don’t get it, everyone can’t figure what the point of this dumb article is because it is so poorly written. Is English your second language?

September 16, 2013 at 3:07 pm Reply
  13. PLgrunt

‘We come into the world with a goal, and we achieve it…’

Mine is to kill all useless terrible pilots, help people who deserve it to become less terrible and to crap on forum trolls.. so far EVE has an endless supply of all the above.

September 15, 2013 at 12:24 pm Reply
  14. Seraph Castillon

The thing about a sandbox is that you’re only endgame when you decide you are. Yes, games get boring as you spend more time in them and you accomplish what you wanted to do. At that point, set new goals or move on.

September 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm Reply
  15. meeeee

If eve becomes boring, just leave the CFC and have some fun fighting. I cannot imagine how boring avoiding fights, when you do not outnumber the oposition 3:1, must be

September 15, 2013 at 5:48 pm Reply
    1. Asit

I’d say it was approaching more 50:1 now.

September 16, 2013 at 12:44 pm Reply
  16. Cloora

This is a bad article and you should feel bad. First, it is poorly written. Second, there is no endgame in eve. It is what you decide. After doing everything carebear I learned how to PVP in low sec. After mastering that I decided to join PL to learn null sec and cap ship combat. So here I am 7 years later and I still haven’t touched wormholes. I just got my first super. And every so often I go back and mine or do missions or PVP on lowsec. I never run out of things to do. EVE is the only MMO that has kept my attention for more then a year. I have never stop subbing and I have never taken a break.

September 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm Reply
    1. Bo Jangles

Well thank you for serving as a perfect example supporting my point…
      You argue against an article telling people to spice things up, by saying “IVE NEVER GOTTEN BORED OF EVE CAUSE I SPICE THINGS UP DURH”

Herp on

September 15, 2013 at 9:58 pm Reply
      1. Cloora

Wow not only can you not write an article well, you fail at reading comprehension and logic. Your article is trying to support a non issue. There was no point to your article because it is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. Your article was just rambling incoherent thoughts. I guess I shouldn’t expect much more from EN24

September 15, 2013 at 10:24 pm Reply
        1. Bo Jangles

I’ve experience countless conversations with people on eve who are getting bored of the game and thinking about quitting just because they’re spending day in day out ratting or such, for some people it is an issue. Just because its not an issue for you doesn’t make it imaginary. You do not represent the opinions or experiences of everyone, nor do I.

September 15, 2013 at 10:44 pm Reply
          1. Cloora

Then perhaps you shouldn’t title the article like it is a problem with the game when it is a player problem

September 16, 2013 at 12:15 am
          2. derpaderp

Uhh hyuk cuz I read whole artiklez by glancing ats da tytlez. I r reader.
            L2 read, top to BOTTOM. Not just first line and instajudge

September 16, 2013 at 11:54 am
          3. Devore

The problem is not with the game, the problem is with your lack of imagination. EVE is a sandbox. It is a make your own adventure type game. If you prefer a gaming experience on rails, there are lots of MMOs where devs will cater to your desire to log in and be fed content. I suggest you unsubscribe from EVE and stop polluting the community with your negativity.

September 16, 2013 at 1:32 am
          4. Asti

Did you even read the article? He wasn’t complaining about there being no endgame, he was encouraging people who find themselves in a rut to be more imaginative like you’re suggesting…
            Next time read it before you go making dumb comments

September 16, 2013 at 6:26 am
          5. Cloora

Yes I did, its painful to read because it is incoherent and doesn’t really have a point. This article is worse then a Gevlon Goblin piece.

September 16, 2013 at 3:04 pm
          6. Asti

Lol you’re just clutching at straws now

September 16, 2013 at 3:57 pm
  17. imsosly

This is like whining about life not having an endgame.. It’s a microcosm of life itself. You make what you will of it. If you make mistakes, you are punished, harshly. If you are successful you become rich and powerful and literally OWN territory. You fight to keep what you have… If you can’t get it up to play EvE then perhaps you should move on and play games with a final level like Mario or Zelda.

September 16, 2013 at 12:20 am Reply