I’m not going to debate the new Terms of Service changes, or the Naming Policy changes that were put in place back on June 10 2013. That’s a post for another time. I’m saddened by behaviour far worse.

I’ve been following the growing threadnaught on the changes. The thing that disturbs me the most about the discussion is the insistence by all the participating GMs that this is policy that has long been in place, especially when this is clearly not the case at all.

It’s a complete disregard for the intelligence of the customer. It’s a total lack of respect for the customer. It’s obvious that these changes have not existed always, otherwise there would have been no need to change the naming policy three months ago, and there would have been no need to further update the Terms of Service just recently.

The following was added to the Naming Policy three months ago:

2.c. No player may use the character name of another player to falsely represent his or her identity. Player created corporation and alliance names also fall under this policy, as do names of any other in-game entities.

Yet, GMs state the following concerning the new clause:

The “use” in that sentence is not limited to using another players name as a name for a character, it includes the use in chats etc. and always has.

If this were indeed how GMs always treated misrepresentation, would CCP have have put the following warning into their Scams and Exploits knowledge-base guide?

DON’T TRUST ANYONE. It’s a tough galaxy out there, and anyone could betray you.

Make sure that the person you are doing business with is who he says he is. EVE Online has a unique naming policy, making it impossible for more than one player to have the same name. However, names may be very similar, and it is a good idea to be 100% certain that the party you are dealing with is the real thing. Also, never believe someone who says he is an alternate character of someone you know but doesn’t offer any proper proof.

So when CCP employees continue to insist that their policy has never changed, it is just straight up dishonest. It’s an attempt to rewrite history. To sweep the change under the rug. To distract from the issue. It’s insulting. And I’m not sure why CCP Games is taking this tact. It’s baffling. And it saddens the hell out of me.

What happened to just plain old honesty? CCP changed the policy. Why is it so hard to admit that? Why not just straight up explain why it was changed? How does it hurt CCP? There’ll still be angry players, but probably far fewer if a well-reasoned explanation is offered. Just some simple honesty, why is that so difficult? If the customers were treated with some respect, CCP wins respect in return, even if customers aren’t happy with the change.

We know the policy changed. The evidence is everywhere. Angry customers are made angrier because of the dishonesty. Angry customers are angrier because what they hate more than anything else is being treated as though they’re imbeciles.

- Poetic Stanziel

You can read more of Poetic Stanziel’s opinions at his Poetic Discourse blog.

1. Dirk MacGirk

Who is angry? Seems a bit excessive on an emotional level. But yeah, CCP could have been smarter in how they handled this. Here is the change, here is why, this is the policy, live with it and adapt. Instead they concoct reasons for reasons and stories to back it up and it just sounds stupid because players see through it. But don’t be mad bro. It’s CCP. They have never been very good at explaining their rationale on a good many things.

September 13, 2013 at 4:29 pm Reply
    1. asda

CCP banned some guys for saying “let me get on my holding character”

September 13, 2013 at 4:53 pm Reply
      1. Dirk MacGirk

Really? Some guys said “let me get on my holding character” and Mjolnir the Ban Hammer of Icelandic Justice came down on them? More deets or it didnt happen.

Or are you referring to the Chribba scam run by the Pizza guys?

September 13, 2013 at 5:03 pm Reply
      2. Dirk MacGirk

And I was referring to the supposed mass number of angry people referred to in the article. Not specific people who have been banned. Just the ones supposedly angry over CCPs answers.

September 13, 2013 at 5:07 pm Reply
  2. nigger jim

so youre saying CCP is literally hitler?

September 13, 2013 at 4:36 pm Reply
    1. Billbo

No more like 7th century Vikings

September 13, 2013 at 5:11 pm Reply
  3. Looking to sell?

Maybe they’re making changes to be in line with some other entity that they want to sell out to.

September 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm Reply
  4. DubbaYooArr

Seems CCP thinks too much into what they expect player reactions to be when they do things so they come up with illogical explanations to avert such reactions when in reality the truth would have been a much easier situation to handle.

“I only said that bc I thought you were get Mad with the truth”
    “Im only mad because you didnt tell me the truth”

September 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm Reply
  5. yoyoyo

i have a friend whos baned for 6 months and they did not reply 1 time to his petitions we know ccp sucks at GM’s and nigger jim yea they are like that ccp = communism

September 13, 2013 at 5:06 pm Reply
  6. Billbo

wHy sO SeRiOuS

September 13, 2013 at 5:10 pm Reply
    1. sadleric

“Run elaborate recruitment scams with ornate external services and out-of-game IT snooping, nobody bats an eye.

“Invite carrier pilots to fleet impersonating Mr Vee, everyone starts losing their minds.”

September 13, 2013 at 11:24 pm Reply
      1. Billbo

lol indeed

September 13, 2013 at 11:52 pm Reply
  7. Billbo

Being incompetent is NOT insulting….

September 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm Reply
    1. xD so FUNNY xDD

Wow billboo your le funny reddit memes always make me laff xDDDD

September 13, 2013 at 7:07 pm Reply
  8. EnglishspeakingenglishReston

You meant ‘taking this tack’ I think

September 13, 2013 at 6:52 pm Reply
  9. ww

Poetic Stanziel, the policy of identity mis representation has existed longer than you know. Long ago BOB used to be called CCP. CCP forced the change.

September 13, 2013 at 7:46 pm Reply
    1. Poetic Stanziel

The naming policy has been in place forever. Yes, I cannot name a character Chrlbba. If Chribba reports it, the name will be changed.

What has changed is that I can’t tell you that I am a close personal friend of Chribba (no matter what my character is named), and that I will be handling your Titan transfer today. If I then steal your Titan, you petition, you get your Titan back, and I get a ban.

That is what has changed.

September 13, 2013 at 9:21 pm Reply
      1. Stanziel Is a scammer

Goes from “i cant say i am chribba” to saying “i cant even tell you i know chribba”

Stop spreading lies and slanderous rumors. If i wer ccp i would ban you for rumor mongering. I used to like your articles too. Now you just pretty much tole everyone you are behind all the jita and amarr scams. See you in-game.

September 13, 2013 at 10:41 pm Reply
        1. Stanziel Is a scammer

P.S. You can say you know anyone, You just cant use that to scam people. WTF is your problem.

September 13, 2013 at 10:42 pm Reply
          1. CBJL

I asked via petition on this subject. It appears you can still use other people as a reference, but you simply cannot impersonate another player. For example.

1) I am on my own character and I claim to be Chribba. I successfully swindle you out of your Titan. CCP will ban me for impersonating Chribba.

2) I claim I am a good friend of Chribba’s and the person can trust me. I am simply using him as a reference, not claiming to be him. It is up to the person being scammed to ask Chribba directly about me. This is perfectly legal.

’nuff said. You can stop freaking out now.

September 14, 2013 at 2:45 am
          2. I just do not know

Now this works for me

September 17, 2013 at 9:02 pm
      2. Fart Snortbag

Why would you steal my titan ?

September 15, 2013 at 4:37 am Reply
  10. jesus

for god sake, let it go, you guys are seriously looking like complete idiots now. Its just becoming a little pathetic and desperate

September 13, 2013 at 9:24 pm Reply
  11. shittani

Wow, complete dishonest nerd rage. Whatever shall you do now if you can;t scam a noob!? LOL

September 13, 2013 at 9:40 pm Reply
    1. BS

Looks loke some noob got scammed and is butthurt now :P

PS. Bye bye sandbox EvE

September 13, 2013 at 10:56 pm Reply
      1. Andrew Metzger

Looks like some “noob” is “butt hurt” because he can’t run ID scams on morons anymore.

What will these scammers do now? The same thing they do every night, brain- roam new eden smearing shit on the walls.

September 14, 2013 at 2:04 am Reply
  12. Humble

The rest of us with common sense and morals who didnt need ccp to list rules on how people are supposed to normally act, have no reason to be upset. We already pretty much followed these “until now” unwritten rules. The only ones getting upset are the lowlifes that now feel infringed upon in their scam/pirate/lowlife lifestyle. Boohoo.. deal with it. Its those kind of things that really detract from EvE’s original puprose and gameplay.

September 14, 2013 at 1:21 am Reply
    1. Devore

“Its those kind of things that really detract from EvE’s original puprose and gameplay.”

Which was?

September 14, 2013 at 5:20 am Reply
    2. TestGewn

there is no “us” in eve.
      there are not so much ppl with “common sense” playing eve.
      and “moral”? in EvE?

Written rules are disobeyed and rules are bend.
      Griefers start whining when their exploit comes up for discussion and argument with “game mechanics” (thats it what it make an exploit :P )

September 14, 2013 at 9:36 am Reply
  13. Herpa Derp

Another reason CCP/Eve is gonna fail they hate there Customer base.

September 14, 2013 at 2:23 am Reply
    1. Filip Viruk Drab

uhh yeah… it’s not like more people will play it now, because there is one way less that they can lose all their stuff by getting scammed, right?

September 17, 2013 at 11:52 am Reply
  14. TestGewn

and i realy wish customers stop insulting ccp.
    ccp sets more rules?
    why the f… not?
    its a company build to earn money and not to bow to every brag some vain bloggers make.ccp/Eve is bad?
    well play something else.
    EvE is full of arrogant “knowItAlls” that think their idea of playing EvE is the way EvE is supposed to play.

September 14, 2013 at 9:30 am Reply
    1. TestGewn

–> is supposed to be played.

September 14, 2013 at 9:31 am Reply
  15. Johan du Preez

I like the new TOS

September 14, 2013 at 12:28 pm Reply
  16. Shari Evan

You should compare CCP to, i dont know – how about Blizzard, Trion or Bioware. All three have created 3 big MMO’s. All MMO TOS’s and ROC’s are quite similar. But for example – Bioware ban’s people for no reason at all and if you complain about it you plain ask ‘why’ even your Forum account gets banned.

Lately Trion perma-banned people for using someone else’s Character Name, there was no possibilty to change the name. Trion and Blizzard and even Bioware are milking it’s franchises and the customer has no rights at all. Even the account’s are property of those Dev’s and you’re just paying the rent of those account.

CCP treats his Customer with alot respect. Giving the player the opportunity to elect a couple of players to improve the game, helping CCP with ideas, using the Ticket option to ask game mechanical questions or just askin’ nonsense (a corp mate asked, if the world end on 21. december 2012 did he get the money back for the missing days of the month. He got a funny reply to it). You’re not banned but warned for violating the ROC, you have the opportunity to change your corp/character name if it violates the TOS or ROC.

CCP is actively working against botting and exploiting, is patching even minor issues, give’s you free drinks on CCP-party’s (like the E3 party in germany this year), gives you every freedom you can ask for and you’re complaining about how rude they are? You can shoot someone’s vessel with plex’s in it and CCP is totally cool with it.

It’s not CCP who’s treating their customer in a shit way – its the guy who cannot think outside the box who is treating CCP like a moron.

September 14, 2013 at 5:49 pm Reply
  17. Jita Scammed

Grass shows from where does the wind blow, every time you look on eve forums.

September 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm Reply
  18. Perma Ban is too harsh!

Northern Coalition. LOL Gonna ban them all?
    It really isn’t that hard to check who is getting the isk, just click on show info.
    Heck, i do it when contracting to my alts just to make sure I don’t typo 500 million isk of goodies to some random lucky dude!

September 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm Reply
  19. Billbo

This just in: Poetic Stanziel has reged quit EVE, more news at 11

September 15, 2013 at 12:02 am Reply
  20. Dennis the Dreamer

We got scammed by CCP and we continuously paying for this game.

September 15, 2013 at 4:33 am Reply
    1. Filip Viruk Drab

only scammers got their own medicine, everyone else doesn’t have a problem with this adjustment of ToS :)

September 17, 2013 at 11:45 am Reply
  21. heh

Dude, I think its a grandfather system. Like… if you made the name before, they aren’t going to somehow ban that character after you put years into it. I really doubt they would screw people over that have had similar named characters for a while. However, in the future after the policy is put in place… they will probably try to put a stop to it. I really don’t understand how you feel the need to think theres some contradiction here. Now I don’t agree with the new policy. I think you should be able to have similar named toons just to rip people off… however, I understand where they are coming from with this. It’s really not a big deal.. So please, just relax man.

September 15, 2013 at 7:55 am Reply
  22. Ghost Rider

Poetic is just a pathetic drama queen and a attention seeking whore who consistently posts utter and total bollocks.

If you read his rage quit post you will see a person who is totally clueless.

This is somebody who doesn’t understand that a few people can knock together a simple demo in a short amount of time but yet it take years to turn the same demo into a full fledged game,

Somebody who thinks just because Hulkageddon is no longer relevant this means CCP are evil, and not because nobody gives a crap about Hulkageddon anymore and the Code have taken it to the next level.

As for the TOS change, it most likely has more to do with CCP Legal covering these asses for some very rare but possible scenario’s then banning somebody for pretending to a goon renting space.

Jesus get a grip…

September 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm Reply
  23. droljica

I represent senior geymaster and if u pay me I’ll get u some t2 original bp’s.

Oh wait, t20 all over again …. but wrapped in new (h)EULA.

September 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm Reply
  24. Nope.

Presenting yourself as anyone with any affiliation to GM or other official company representatives has resulted in permaban since the dawn of MMO’s. This just isn’t controversial.

September 16, 2013 at 6:00 pm Reply
  25. Filip Viruk Drab

I don’t feel insulted, but then again I don’t scam people.

September 17, 2013 at 11:59 am Reply
  26. Emden

wow I never knew scammer tears could be so sweet

September 17, 2013 at 8:06 pm Reply
  27. I just do not know

A bit of a rant, butI think it needs saying:
    There is so much in-game stuff destroyed by the ease of meta gaming in Eve, lets take a group of HS players who decide to get together to get some revenge on the Goons, you can be sure that as soon as that started alliance plex will be used to activate an account and that player will join this movement then it will be destroyed from within, no fights no fun, just setup battles where the HS people get utterly crushed because their every move is known. And there is nothing in game to enable you to find such people.
    When I was in IRC and Razor were pushing in I started running some SB fleets, I was almost setup to bomb a Razor fleet and two different people de-cloaked and destroyed the attack, and when the fleet disbanded they were sure to add “fail FC” to comms. What did that do, well no more combat, because I realised there was no point.
    When I was flying with NCDOT. in Tribute I was amused to hear people calling out the next CFC target for our logi guys to rep, and why was I amused, well for the first time ever I was actually benefitting from it, though it left a bitter taste in my mouth as we would have crushed their fleet without it, same thing when NCDOT. convo bombed those 20 Razor carriers, when the FC called to do it I refused, we would have killed them anyway.
    I was amused to find one guy I know firing on his other toon in a fleet battle, he had one on each side, was amusing but you get the picture.
    I knew one guy who had setup in a WH, everything was going great for a couple of months and then bang, everything got stolen by PL, who had got a toon into the corp and gained enough trust to do the business, the thing is however there is no way to check back that person, because some of these people have so many accounts that they buy and use and discard that it is just impossible to control the risk. He left the game, he thought he had covered it, but even a man of his intelligence could not do it.

And all the time I hear from the scammers that it is emergent gameplay, sorry its not, its out of game gaming that just makes playing the game too difficult and destroys any immersion, true emergent game play would come from people getting together in trusted groups to get back at the CFC for example (that is not Grr Goon by the way, its for fun.)
    We all know about people who get into corps and then kill corp members in expensive ships, well those people who do not check KB’s and the like deserve what they get, however there are still a lot of such events that the CEO has done everything possible in game and still gets caught, because at the end of the day its impossible to link the accounts.
    In truth I find the out of game scams to be very destructive for this game, it loses CCP players and stops certain types of gameplay.
    The thing is that CCP must have strtaed to realise just how destructive this is to player numbers, I like the fact that people can scam in game or spy in game, but I detest the destructive meta gaming that really makes any in game control impossible. Now I know that it is extremely difficult to control and I know that any attempt to do so will get a howl of rage from the top tier of Eve players who use this as one of their ways to maintain themselves, just look at the reaction to the TOS. Personally I was happy for CCP to make those changes and I support them 100%, having looked at it in detail this might in fact keep me in game, because I at last see hope that CCP may start working against the rampent game destroying meta gaming in Eve.
    The contract scams, the margin trades, etc. which are in game I have no beef about, I enjoy them in fact, but its the level of out of game scamming that gets me, which is why I am so glad to see the player who used the Wiki to set up a game scam get a ban, that was the right decision.
    Some of yu will think it through and see where I am coming from, but you can be sure that those ridiculing what I have just said want the easy life of out of game gaming, see them for what they are, is it really a game when they are gaming the game, its become much more than that.

September 17, 2013 at 8:49 pm Reply