Comments

Remember the Oculus Rift demo at evefest? The amazing Virtual Reality where you take control of a fighter and dogfight your way to victory. Well, what started out as just a tech demo had so much positive feedback, CCP has declared it yet another EVE Universe Game labeled EVE Valkyrie.

A lot of questions are being asked, how exactly would EVE Valkyrie be implemented into EvE Online? I have an idea. It is sheer speculation and if you have an idea, post it in the comments.

With players taking cockpit controls of their craft, I simply don’t see this being implemented on a large scale. It would give some advantages and some disadvantages to actual pvp fighting outside of the Valkyrie environment. But I do see this as an amazing way to beef up Faction Warfare.

Problem and Solution: Engagements

How exactly would a Valkyrie pilot find and participate in Faction Warfare engagements that are typically started by players? The system requirements to constantly monitor the Faction Warfare space for any type of engagement, obtain the data on those conflicts and determine whether or not Valkyrie Players would enjoy the fight, is pretty steep. But… what if Faction Warfare engagements were not started by players? What if 4 – 5 Warring Faction Carriers warped to strategic battle area. These carriers would release their “fighters” or “Valkyrie Pilots” to duke it out with each other. The Valkyrie pilots are able to fight each other as well as the enemy carriers and any enemy ships (eve controlled ships) that showed up to assist.

Problem and Solution: Awoxing

Valkyrie Pilots would have an advantage over eve players as they are able to duck and dive using twitch controls, making it difficult to even hit them. On the other hand, frigate class ships in eve would have no issue dispatching the fighters. To safely allow the Valkyrie Pilots to experience the fight and to prevent them from turning on their own Faction, the Valkyrie Pilots will have the typical “Red / Green” layout you see in most FPS. Green refusing target lock and red being fully targetable. This forces the Valkyrie Pilots to fight the warring Faction. In EvE, these fighters will do minimal damage to player controlled ships and eve pilots will not be able to attack them full on. The fighters themselves will not be able to attack the eve ships directly, but the more damage they inflict to the enemy carriers, the more their “hybrid carriers” will be able to shoot at eve pilots.

Problem and Solution: Ending the Conflict

How do you resolve the match up between 2 opposing factions using the FPS EVE Valkyrie? The Hybrid Carriers can be destroyed by the opposing match. Since the more damage that is inflicted to the opposing side from the Valkyrie Pilots frees up their Carriers Hyrbid Weaponry, the Valkyrie Pilots do have a big part in the tide of the battle. This allows their Hybrid Carriers to first target opposing player piloted ships and if none are present, focus their hybrid attacks on the opposing NPC Hyrbid Carriers. Once a carrier has been destroyed, it will no longer deploy fighters and that side will lose numbers placing them at a disadvantage. However, if that side had inflicted more damage to the opposing faction, the numbers disadvantage may be made up through the Hybrid Carrier offensive systems. Once all Carriers have been destroyed, the match will be over and the strategic conflict will goto the winners.

I like to think that the EVE Valkyrie Pilots would see some amazing things in game. If one of their carrier explodes, they will see and hear it and feel the pang of defeat or the rush of adrenaline to fight even harder.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what EVE Valkyrie has to offer. Unfortunately, I don’t see an implementation in Nullsec for such an amazing addition but I think it would greatly improve some of the Faction Warfare engagements

*** Update ***
A link to the EVE Valkyrie Website where you can submit your email for news and updates: http://www.evevalkyrie.com

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/eve-valkyrie-oculus-rifts-space-dogfighting-game

1. Reti

OMGOMGOGMOGOGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOM !!!!!

August 20, 2013 at 6:31 pm Reply
    1. 0.o Grunt

+1 for enthusiasm

I too will be looking to get a O. Rift. It was for war thunder, but this release will just put the icing on the cake!

August 20, 2013 at 7:58 pm Reply
  2. Reti

OMOGOGOMOMGOMGOMGOMGOMOMGOMGOMGOM!!!!!! I did this at fanfest, and it was amazing!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOGOMGOMG

August 20, 2013 at 6:31 pm Reply
  3. Takezo Kensei

moar tinsel from ccp to distract from their failure with dust and their continued shitty ‘expansions’ to the main game…

August 20, 2013 at 6:33 pm Reply
    1. Reti

Dude, eve expansions are incrimental changes and improvements…. dont be stupid.

August 20, 2013 at 7:06 pm Reply
    2. Ur Stupid

Oh I’m sorry that you don’t want to make EVE bug free and lagg free but only want more features instead.

August 20, 2013 at 8:42 pm Reply
  4. Billbo

Bust 514 2.0?

August 20, 2013 at 6:40 pm Reply
    1. riverini

I can’t help but to be conservative about this too…

August 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm Reply
      1. You’re such a downer Riverini – No optimism at all. I’d like to at least give it a chance. :)

August 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm Reply
  5. Tara Read

This brings me back to fond memories of playing games like Rogue Squadron or Star Wars Starfighter. I already planned on picking up an Oculus Rift so hell yeah CCP! Hopefully they learn from their mistakes with Dust and this turns out to be awesome.

August 20, 2013 at 6:48 pm Reply
  6. Pon Teyuen

Make fighters not able to directly engage EVE pilots, but make what they do create system effects similar to the way Incursions work, but with effects specific to side. Basically, fighters would have “logi fields” — the more fighters fielded the stronger the effect. Thus, it is in one side’s interests to take out as many fighters of the opposing force as possible. Since EVE ships couldn’t target lock fighters and no damage is possible to EVE ships using fighters — each side would need to release their own fighter to both provide field effects and counter the enemy fighters.

It would also prevent time dilation hitting the dogfights, since it could work a little bit like DUST system architecturally — in that Valkyrie fighters would have their “battle servers” generating an instance of a system when they jump in. However, these would be sending telemetry/battle status data back and forth to/from the Tranquility cluster, making them both in the same “space”, but in the case of the main Tranquility hardware, much less data would have to be communicated — all that would have to be tracked is the field effect status and the number of fighters on each side (perhaps with the occasional effect in the right general area when a fighter pops). No detailed positional, velocity, vector, weapon firing, model data, etc. On the fighter side, perhaps mirror the EVE ships in battle as sort of simplified backdrop “model” stripping out the complex interaction calculations for simply the purposes of creating the illusion of sharing the space.

A system like this may allow it to go beyond faction warfare, since theoretically if the fighters are on their own “instance” providing only field effects and can’t interfere directly with the EVE battle (i.e. firing upon) , nor are bogging down or being bogged down by the EVE fleet battle, then corp battles etc. would be possible.

August 20, 2013 at 6:58 pm Reply
    1. Reti

Of your post all I read was this “Make fighters not able to directly engage EVE pilots…”…..
      Your dumb…. EVE VR full integration into eve universe is what we need. I want to pilot fighters damit!!!!!!

August 20, 2013 at 7:04 pm Reply
      1. Pon Teyuen

Thanks for the respectful, intelligent and thought-out response I’ve come to expect of EN24 readership.

Bottom line is there is no technical way that dogfighters with their complex movements, twitch reactions and telemetry will be able to coexist with time-dilated giant EVE ships in realtime, nor is there a practical way to make them able to shoot EVE ships without making those ships either able to disintegrate you in a second, or having them sitting ducks due to their non-twitch piloting.

Figthers have to be able to fight fighters, and the environment they do so in has to be able to handle the twitch mechanics, which unless you want to lobotomize the main EVE gameplay ain’t happening. What is important is that fighters would (a) be able to meaningfully affect the outcome of EVE fleet engagements somehow, (b) they be able to do so by fighting OTHER dogfighters, and (c) communicate with the larger fleets and vice versa, and so feel like this is happening in the same space without having to massively compromise either the gameplay of EVE or Valkyrie.

August 20, 2013 at 7:18 pm Reply
        1. I agree with this as you can probably see from my ideas on implementing EVE VR into Faction Warfare.

But, even tho the Fighters wouldn’t be able to directly shoot at and harm the eve online pilots, their actions in the engagement would have a direct effect and it should.

In my idea, the more damage they inflict on the enemies, the more their hybrid carriers will be able to deal out damage to the eve pilots. That is one direct way for the EvE VR pilots to affect the outcome of the skirmish

August 20, 2013 at 7:28 pm Reply
          1. Pon Teyuen

I agree to an extent. And maybe even if corp to corp warfare, it would be possible to have the “hybrid carriers” that are the sole type of ship able to be directly affected by Valkyrie fighters and the only kind of ships able to affect them. Effectively, they would be the one battle element to fully exist synched across both the EVE instance and E:V instance of the space.

If you still maintained the idea of field effects, then the hybrid carriers could be the “conduit” for these, also — providing a both a conceptual logic and a focal point — like an Incursion mothership. It also would allow E:V to at least have some “bomber run” type mechanics in addition to small-ship-to-small ship mechanics — secondary objectives sort of the way DUST has the CRU and MCC objectives.

My only hesitation would be in FW, I’m not sure reducing player agency in starting engagements and putting that as an NPC function is going the right direction.

It might be interesting to make hybrids basically controlled by E:V pilots, who simply set destination and we assume are allowed a kind of cyno jump bridge to get to needed systems. Basically they control but don’t pilot those ships. An excuse to be able to go to areas, essentially. Maybe with cyno jump limits to make sure you can’t just project force anywhere in New Eden.

The other challenge for Hybrid Carriers would be if they are “ships” in the EVE battle, are they untouchable except by the E:V pilots? If so, why would that be since with fighters you can justify it as too small. If not, then this creates a problem in that you can blow apart the fighters support/field effect source/rob them of the gameplay ability to blow it themselves.

August 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm
          2. Mr Obv

You keep talking to yourself?

August 20, 2013 at 8:42 pm
          3. Pon Teyuen

I was replying to Exversion’s response to me. I’m sorry if you feel that reading the reply tags is too complex. How horrible of me, engaging in an exchange of ideas on a comment section!

August 20, 2013 at 8:52 pm
          4. Reti

I am sorry… I should actually help elevate this site instead of bringing it down… Your right. I was just in the moment.

August 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm
        2. Reti

@ Pon:

August 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm Reply
          1. Johan du Preez

@Reti
            wow what a sad little man you are ….

August 21, 2013 at 2:59 pm
          2. Reti

I was just apologizing for being a dick…. clearly you are more of one.

August 21, 2013 at 3:15 pm
          3. Johan du Preez

Your post is oozing sarcasm go and read the definition of the word and you might learn something.

That was hardly a apology rofl, your mom might believe your bullshit but we are not so gullible here.

I quote ” I should actually help elevate this site instead of bringing it down… ”
            that makes you a sad little man ….. you should turn your pc of and get out more you might claim your sanity back.

August 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm
        3. Johan du Preez

Let them fly the drones in Valkyrie :)

August 21, 2013 at 2:42 pm Reply
  7. Ginger One

I see that everyone is focusing on the fanfest where fighters where used but this new thing is called Valkyrie which is a drone there might be some significance there. But uhm just speculation, but will be good to see this implemented.

August 20, 2013 at 7:58 pm Reply
    1. Pon Teyuen

Pretty sure it’d be fighters, since they are referencing this as a direct evolution of the E:VR demo.

Personally, this excites me more than DUST, since I don’t have the itch to be planetary merc, but I DO have it to be a space pilot — and as much as I like EVE, it’d be great to be able to hop into an actual cockpit simulator and fly by the seat sometimes. Before E:V my plan was EVE with a side helping of SC. If I had a twitch pilot game tied to EVE, I would do this 1000x vs. Star Citizen just because its an extension of New Eden makes it more compelling and I can focus on my one universe.

Not that I would give up EVE, because the large-ship, strategic approach to piloting is still my preferred mode 75% of the time. But for that 25% of the time itch… I’m excited.

August 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm Reply
    2. Ur Stupid

Pretty sure it’s fighters only, for now. Technically, drones are remote-controlled from on-board the host ship. Fighters are controlled by crew members of the carrier, so fighters and fighter bombers are most likely the ONLY type of drone to be featured in Valkyrie.

August 20, 2013 at 8:36 pm Reply
    3. Ashesofempires

Valkyrie is a drone, but the ships depicted in that are clearly fighters. You can plainly see that one of them is a Templar, and another is a Dragonfly.

August 20, 2013 at 9:39 pm Reply
  8. Vasssa

if that omononom compile in eve client. hmmm… golden days… no. no i dont believe

August 20, 2013 at 9:11 pm Reply
  9. Ashesofempires

I’d definitely get down with some VR dogfighting. As much as I’d like to see some sweet carrier combat in low-sec, the odds of a battle developing around it are pretty low. It’s more likely that within a minute or two of the carriers showing up, they would be probed (if even necessary) and hotdropped by whatever alliance was quickest to marshal some suicide dreads to take them out for easy kills.

I think that a new class of structure could be introduced for FW, and possibly for players to deploy. Make a structure that’s able to launch a number of fighters. These fighters could be NPC handled if there aren’t enough E:V pilots around, and successfully defend against players attempting to take them out. Make them the “final grind” of a system, so that in order to flip a system for your faction you have to take on a wing of fighters, potentially human controlled and immensely deadly.

Allow FW players on both sides to call in fighters or bombers to a fighter base fight. EVE players who want to call in fighters for such a fight have to fit their ship with a coordination module, much like players who want to deliver orbital bombardments have to fit the requisite module. So long as they are on the grid and alive, the fighters keep coming. If they leave or are destroyed, fighters stop coming, but those already there can keep fighting. Calling in fighters is something players can spend LP on.

There is also the possibility of allowing carrier pilots to contract E:V pilots to fly from their hangars. Normal fighter drones are decently effective, but an E:V pilot could give a carrier pilot a lot more versatility (and potentially dps) for the added expense of hiring a real pilot.

The only thing that I see standing in the way of this is adding to the stress on the servers. I don’t know how CCP intends to handle projectile physics in space, but I can see it greatly increasing the workload on a server. As much as I would love to be in the cockpit during an epic capital fleet fight, I can only imagine what it would do to the servers as they tried to handle the fight plus the hundreds of player controlled fighters. I’d also imagine that flying in time dilation would suck.

August 20, 2013 at 10:03 pm Reply
  10. Aonus_the_blaster_maniac

from what i just saw….

Thoughts:
    1. Give carriers the ability to house Pod pilots up to the amount they can field of fighters (with Drone control units) so 15 at max?
    2. pod pilots gets new visual upon entering carrier and allowed to be in the fighters.

3. carrier unleashes said fighters and they do their work

Other thoughts:
    reduces crap blob warfare of epic proportions. and gives fighters more of a “im a fucking X wing fighter bitch!” feel while giving players the feel of a space dogfight.

August 20, 2013 at 10:08 pm Reply
  11. sebastian

Considering the awesmoness that was the demo, I’ll be buying an Oculus Rift for Eve Valkyrie no matter the connection to TQ. Even standalone, arcade dogfighting – if done this well – is awesome.

Virtual reality headsets were made for space-dogfighting games. It is ideal, because the most lacking part of the Oculus Rift (and similiar solutions) is that you cannot really move, which breaks the immersion. Sitting in a fighter, you aren’t supposed to moving anything but your arms…

The immersion never gets broken, it feels just like you’d expect in an aircraft/spaceship with a helmet-mounted display. This type of game is the killerapplication for the Oculus Rift. Whoever does it best will have quite a nice success on their hand. And CCP proved with their EVR prototype that they could nail the gameplay and feeling.

August 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm Reply
    1. Wulfy J

Theres only one way to implement this… trough thunderdome/ arenas troughout new eden:)

August 20, 2013 at 11:15 pm Reply
  12. Captain Obvious

Inb4 “OMG MAKE IT FOR PC OR ELSE”

August 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm Reply
    1. nigger jim

they have no choice, occulus rift has no support outside of PC. thank god…

August 21, 2013 at 12:16 pm Reply
      1. Captain Obvious

No shit Sherlock, but I think you’re missing my point. Fan boys will be fan boys and will automatically rush to attack CCP without knowing all the facts, so fuck you for forcing me to explain the humour behind my witty post.

August 22, 2013 at 1:01 am Reply
        1. scrub

Beating a dead horse is neither witty nor humorous. :

August 27, 2013 at 2:33 pm Reply
  13. TeZLaD

They could just use the Duel system, maybe add a Rift Duel option, with maybe a new class of rift ships? i’m in even if standalone. Looks amazing :)

August 20, 2013 at 11:44 pm Reply
  14. Dennis the Dreamer

I think they made this, so people won’t jump bridge to Star Citizen. :)

August 21, 2013 at 3:10 am Reply
  15. Dumbledore

How much do those cool occulus rift headset goggledingies cost?

August 21, 2013 at 6:34 am Reply
    1. riverini

Target price is USD $300, I’ll be buying one after getting an XBOX One and PS4, which means prolly a year and a half from now. Having stated that I want one, I must point out that at this point there is no guarantee that this product will he a successful one.

Having worked in a consumer electronics company, there is also the issue of the knock-offs, but I am referring to the really the good knock-offs the ones which sort of kill your MCP

The thing is once someone comes out with a proper standard, I cannot think a way the OR guys could compete with “good enough” versions from big peripheral companies… for example what keeps MSFT or SONY from coming up with their own version instead of licensing the technology and what keeps them from enforcing a console standard into the developers?

August 21, 2013 at 6:58 am Reply
      1. Dumbledore

Sheesh that’s cheap, I was expecting something around 1k or so. There again, a target price is only that… a “target”.

August 21, 2013 at 7:01 am Reply
        1. Randomdude

Dev kits are 300 a pop and can be purchased now. They mentioned several times their target is to keep it around that cost as close as possible, maybe even reducing it. They’ve also mentioned that they’d give the things out for free if they could, as in implying their intent is not to profit off of it but to make it as cool as they can and get it into as many hands as possible.

August 21, 2013 at 6:31 pm Reply
  16. Luwc

Dust 416 .
    Just more wasted time on developement that could have been used for EVE.

August 21, 2013 at 7:38 am Reply
    1. Cast

EVE will have a new expansion in November 19th, “EVE Online: Rubicon”.

October 9, 2013 at 6:16 pm Reply
  17. Hue

Upon seeing the engine this is being made on I can’t help but think it will be just another flop like DUST, CCP might be breaking ground but they aren’t doing it well.

August 21, 2013 at 9:38 am Reply
  18. Besbin

It’s very cute, but unfortunately carries no understanding of the Eve engine. Just consider the Eve damage algorithm. It’s pure maths. All the fancy missiles and effects you see on your screen is just that. Effects. Combat in Eve is underneath all that, just spreadsheet mechanics. Valkyrie on the other hand uses actual geometric space for combat application. So, as I see it, it wouldn’t be too hard to allow Valkyrie pilots to apply damage to an Eve ship (fire into this vector shape, transform damage according to some formula, apply damage to Eve ship in Eve engine as normal damage), but it’s probably quite impossible to allow Eve ships to apply damage in any worthwhile sense to a Valkyrie ship. It’s only maths after all, so how would the damage be applied? Autodamage from megasized cannons? Reduced damage? AI simulated guns firing wild bonanza from a vector shape in Valkyrie space? How would you balance this? Either the AI is too smart meaning autodeath for the Valkyrie pilot or it’s too weak meaning skilled Valkyrie pilots are invulnerable to Eve damage. Well, they COULD make it so that you dispatch drones to fight the Valkyrie pilots (making it actually an Eve pilot vs. Environment vs. Valkyrie pilot), but having actual meaningful combat between Eve and Valkyrie pilots than you can engage in and affect directly? I don’t see that coming as long as Eve is, when push comes to shove, just a big load of maths…and that ain’t gonna change…like ever…

August 21, 2013 at 9:53 am Reply
    1. Teq

What he said. The only way I see an fps being able to cross over into eve is if the combat mechanics where changed in a rather dramatic way, which is unlikely considering restrictions on max players fps games suffer from.

August 21, 2013 at 10:58 am Reply
      1. Besbin

Not to mention pretty much throwing out the entire code base of Eve…at which point it’d probably be smarter to start making an entirely new game anyway… (which, conincidentially, is exactly what they’re doing :-)

August 21, 2013 at 12:10 pm Reply
    2. The Blue Baron

Also bear in mind the reason why hitting a ship is so hard for fighters. The fact that some ships (just about anything MWD fit) travel much faster than high velocity rounds (1000m/s average) makes dogfighting seem impossible. Now imagine trying to hit that in a ship moving at a slower or faster pace. It’d take superhuman reflexes or a sophisticated targeting system, and I doubt people just want to tell a computer what to shoot.
      Two things to take away from that: 1) It will have to be rescaled in some way, shape, or form. Dogfighting at that speed would be silly at best. That means the speeds you will probably see would be closer to WWII 400mph, in scale, at least. 2) No one should really overthink this. It would just be nearly impossible to do in real life. It’d be like shooting a bullet out of the air with another bullet. Being a video game, I expect it to carry the air of realism without being even close. If it feels like real space fighter dog fights, when we really get is the performance of a ME-109G vs a P-51D, so be it. As long as its fun, right?

August 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm Reply
      1. The Blue Baron

Oh, and did I mention that while shooting said bullet with another bullet, you would also be riding a Sidewinder Missile?

August 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm Reply
  19. Tegiminis

Oculus.

August 21, 2013 at 10:23 am Reply
  20. LOL.

it is EVE Online, just like EVE Valkyrie, its not EvE Online. How can you get one right and the other one so eye-hurting wrong?

August 21, 2013 at 10:28 am Reply
  21. qwer

EVE Valkyrie should be implemented as Sport in New Eden. Be it like fighter train simulator turned to a sport. What EVE players should be able to do with this, is gamble with their money.

August 21, 2013 at 10:35 am Reply
    1. Jay Jackson

I actually like this idea. We need more forms of sponsored gambling, in all seriousness. People have too much to do with their ISKs, and any player “sport” added only adds to the immersion level.

I know I just “roleplay” that I’m at an interstellar gambling house when I play on EOH. :)

August 26, 2013 at 6:29 pm Reply
  22. Michael Meio

That seems very cool..
    Still, there are many questions some guys here are asking.. algorithms, math, mechanica, etc.. yes, they are important.
    I think we have to take a peek in the opposite direction: What can Occulus Rift do for the current EVE universe?
    Face it: you can’t be in an everlasting dogfighting atmosphere. It will eventually become boring once players figure out mechanics and reach “Red Baron” status, or due to fatigue and stress. I mean, talk about the jump bridge dizziness side-effect some users dared to whine about. Yes, you will get used to it but it’s complicated
    So it better be useful for the actual EVE game and that is harder than just math and mech.

August 21, 2013 at 2:01 pm Reply
  23. Smart technician

EVE online’s tickrate is far from suitable from support-twitchbased combat. EVE online has a tickrate, any decent fps has a tickrate of 20+hz with some even going 30 or 60z

Its not happening next year and you wont be able to pew pew in actual EVE blobs.

August 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm Reply
    1. Smart technician

I mean eve has a 1 hz tickrate. fps and fast online games have 20/30hz +

August 21, 2013 at 4:25 pm Reply
  24. Herpa Derp

prob be for dust players or it will bomb as bad as dust

August 22, 2013 at 2:00 am Reply
  25. ioioio

HEY! CCP! Stop kidding! DAMN! We still have the Amarr outpost flipped upside-down!!!! WTF?!?! Build EVE Online, not other shits!

August 24, 2013 at 11:46 am Reply
  26. vn

Best way to integrate valkyrie with eve would be to introduce new ship classes, way smaller than even frigs. Ships that don’t do any harm on bigger vessels (ships controlled by eve players) , However, small and fast enough to avoid the bigger ships guns. Bigger battles, a more immerse environment, but separated by game play, would work quite well fiction-wise also.

September 5, 2013 at 3:34 pm Reply
  27. Star Citizen pls...

Valkyrie is nothing more than a very poor attempt to compete with the dog fighting capability of Star Citizen. Terrible.

September 10, 2013 at 7:35 pm Reply