There’s the Drone UI window. I’ve already separated the 20 drones into four separate groups. You can name those groups however you wish, I simply named them after the drone type contained in both. Ignore the Primary/Secondary/Tertiary flagging, that’s part of a suggestion which I’ll talk about a little bit later.

The big new functionality addition, and it is a welcome addition, is that once you have drone groups set-up, you can simply drag a group from the Drones in Bay section to the Drones in Local Space section and that drone group will launch.

Conversely, you can drag the group from Drones in Local Space to Drones in Bay and they will return to your ship. Although, there’s some trickiness involved in returning the drones via this method. I would suggest just sticking with your hotkey to return drones. But, if you want to drag, and if you have other existing drone groups, make sure that you drag the returning group onto the Drones in Bay heading; dragging anywhere else and the group in space will become part of one of the existing groups already in your drone bay.

It’s a good addition to the drone UI, though. Especially dragging a group from the bay into the local space section.

There was an excellent suggestion on the forums that I’d like to repeat. Dragging a drone group into space to launch them. CCP Karkur seemed to like the idea, given there aren’t any development hitches it could find its way into a later Odyssey 1.1 build on SiSi. It would certainly make dragging quicker for most people.

I have another suggestion (though not for 1.1, maybe Winter), which involves using hotkeys to launch drones. Something we’ve never had because many ships can fit far more drones and drones types into a bay than can be launched. I suggest using drone groups and tie hotkeys to them. Being able to assign each group either a primary, secondary or tertiary indicator. (Which could be done via the right-click contextual menu.) Then we assign hotkeys to the drone primary, secondary, and tertiary groups. (If you have more than three drone groups in your bay, then the extras will not be assigned a hotkey.) (If you only have one group in your bay, it is auto-assigned as the primary group.)

Another idea I have for hotkeying … rather than use up three hotkeys, one for the primary group, one of the secondary group, and one for the tertiary group, instead just use a single hotkey and then base group launches on quick taps. A single tap launches the primary group. A quick double-tap (tap-tap) launches the secondary group. And a quick triple-tap (tap-tap-tap) launches the tertiary group.

The dragging-dropping is a nice new addition to the drone UI. I hope we’ll see more such additions come the Winter expansion.

Poetic Stanziel

You can read more of Poetic Stanziel’s opinions at his Poetic Discourse blog.

Recommended Poetic Stanziel posts:

Why UI? The New Show Info Layout

The Caldari Alliance Championship 2005 (or Alliance Tournament I)

1. Jack

There aren’t any screenshots this is useless lol. Even Glevon can do pics.

August 14, 2013 at 3:12 am Reply
    1. jondoe

Try cartoons if you can’t read.

August 14, 2013 at 4:59 am Reply
      1. rustybucket

You’re obviously the retard here. His post describes stuff as if from a picture and if you follow his actual blog you will indeed see pictures. I believe Jack’s point is there are indeed pictures he just failed at posting them here.

August 14, 2013 at 5:53 am Reply
        1. Poetic Stanziel

I don’t post my content here. River has permission to take what he likes and do the copy-paste himself. He did not take the one image I have in the article. An accidental oversight.

August 14, 2013 at 7:07 am Reply
          1. beanslotsofbeanlotsofbeans

You post an article. People criticise your article and you go spaz over it. The worst kind of writer is the one that cant take criticism. Wont be reading your blog anymore after reading these comments.

You sir, are a douche.

August 14, 2013 at 9:21 am
          2. Guest

Okay. Linking to the original article, the one that has the “missing” image, is called spazzing?

August 14, 2013 at 9:36 am
          3. Dumbledore

Dude, now you’re mixing your anonymous commenter window and your Poetic Stanziel commenter window. You gotta get some sleep now.

August 14, 2013 at 9:54 am
          4. Jack

Dumbledore, I appreciate you calling retards out on the regular, it makes the reads here and on “the other site” much more entertaining.

August 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm
          5. Dumbledore

At your service, sir.

August 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm
          6. Poetic Stanziel

Okay. Linking to the original article, the one that has the missing image, is called spazzing?

August 14, 2013 at 9:37 am
          7. Dumbledore

I guess that calling commenters “dumbfuck”, which I’m happy to see that you deleted, is spazzing.

August 14, 2013 at 9:50 am
        2. jondoe

Ok, one pic posted for you retards who can’t read.

August 14, 2013 at 8:36 am Reply
        3. whiners

its a picture of the same drone bay you have stared at for years. does not really enhance the article very much. and yes the guy has a point. try cartoons if reading, processing and imagining is a weary task for people.

the article could probably use a video for the slow witted readers but nothing to gain from the drone bay screenshot

if people are going to complain they should probably just spend that time updating sisi and try it themselves.

August 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm Reply
    2. Prime

Poetic and Goblin don’t post their blogs here – Riv pulls them down from their sites and posts them here for a price – who did the copy and paste left out the imagery.

August 14, 2013 at 6:27 am Reply
    3. Poetic Stanziel

I don’t post content here. Riverini takes what he likes and posts here himself. He did not take the one image I have in the article.

August 14, 2013 at 7:06 am Reply
      1. sisi tester

If you are talking about the post i made which i think you are. I actually meant the empty space within the drone window but below the “drones in local space” folder. Dragging to actual space is certainly a welcomed option though :)

These comments so far are so bitter its amusing. Back to sisi to make eve better for these sad angry nerds

August 14, 2013 at 11:56 am Reply
    4. bread crumbs

says the guy who cant hop on to sisi for 10 minutes himself. us testers would call YOU useless.
      also a screenshot would make the reader more confused that trying to imagine it.

August 14, 2013 at 11:44 am Reply
  2. Theronth

Should have put Poetic on my do-not-open-this-post list ages ago, right next to goblin.

August 14, 2013 at 3:31 am Reply
    1. Dumbledore

Nah, only Poetic’s comments section.

August 14, 2013 at 9:26 am Reply
  3. Billbo

FFS at least Goblin would of put some screenshots

August 14, 2013 at 3:48 am Reply
    1. Poetic Stanziel

I don’t post content here. River takes what he likes and posts here himself. He did not take the one image I have in the article.

August 14, 2013 at 7:06 am Reply
  4. Anonymouse

Or, just drag the drone group to the hotbar and have that launch that particular group. If you hit a drone hotkey while other drones are out, the current drones are called back and the new ones sent out. IE: I hit the Goblin key to send out and engage the drones (targetted if I have something locked, just launched and told to orbit me otherwise) After they are done with targets, I hit the salvage drone key and the goblins come back and the salvage drones go off to do their business. When all is done, I hit my normal drone recall hotkey and move on to whatever else I was doing.

August 14, 2013 at 6:59 am Reply
  5. wilson

Yes. Hotkey to launch. No one has thought/asked/begged for this before.

August 14, 2013 at 7:05 am Reply
    1. Poetic Stanziel

Did I say that, dumbfuck? I was just suggesting a way that CCP might do it … since they seem to be completely lost concerning how to implement such a feature.

August 14, 2013 at 7:08 am Reply
      1. Dumbledore

Hold your horses there, mate. There’s few things more pathetic than article writers trash talking in comments section.

August 14, 2013 at 9:24 am Reply
      2. wilson

Here’s a summary of your arti..um..post.

“There was a dev update. A guy on the forums had an idea. My unique suggestion is that there should be a shortcut to launch drones.”

Thank Christ we have EN24.

August 14, 2013 at 9:26 am Reply
    2. wilsonsmom

You sir are the most retarded person ever,congrats!

August 14, 2013 at 8:38 am Reply
      1. Ur Stupid

Note the sarcasm.

August 14, 2013 at 9:50 am Reply
  6. JG

By posting this post here you hope devs will read this? how about go to the thread and put your own sugestions? dont see your name there. Besides “your” ideas were already posted 2 days ago on the thread. gg

August 14, 2013 at 9:04 am Reply
    1. Luwc

bg lol 0707007 m8m8m8
      (you fucking sperglord)

August 14, 2013 at 1:58 pm Reply
  7. CK

Just be able to drag the drone group to one of the high/mid/low slots so you can activate it like a module. Press the hot key to launch, press it again to recall. Of course that means you have to not be so lazy you can’t press more than f1.

August 14, 2013 at 11:18 am Reply
  8. Joe Knows

Why not just add some buttons. Seems idiocy is rampant in drone control.

August 14, 2013 at 9:52 pm Reply
  9. John Masters

WTF???

What are these “hotkeys” of which ye speak?
    Seriously, someone should write up a think on using keys to play Eve.

August 18, 2013 at 6:20 am Reply