Comments

ship_raven_wh

Brendan Drain over on Massively struck a very strong cord with me in his opinion piece, On your deathbed, you will not regret gaming. I agree with everything he says about gaming. World culture is changing. The young and the young at heart see this. They participate in it gladly. It is only those entrenched in the 20th Century that do not see the good in this.

I currently have a 94 year old woman living in my house who is incapable of understanding what I do upstairs for all those hours. I know this from our conversations about it.

She asks, “did you have fun playing your game?”

I reply, “Yeah, me and the guys just evicted a Russian corp from it’s wormhole.”

“What guys?” she asks.

“Me and my alliance mates.”

“Are they here in town?”

“No, they are all over the world though most of them seem to be on the East Coast.”

Then she looks over at the phone. I know what’s going through her head. It didn’t ring. It wasn’t busy. “I talk with them using my computer,” I say.

“How many guys do you play with?” she asks.

“There were about thirty of us tonight, though thousands play the game at the same time.”

“Thousands?” she asks incredulous.

“Tens of thousands from all over the world,” I confirm.

“All at the same time? How do you understand each other?”

I’m certain you see what I am getting at by now. This conversation didn’t actually happen precisely this way. It’s an amalgamation of several conversations we’ve had. But all those things were said at one point or another over the past weeks.

And my game playing isn’t the only thing she doesn’t grok. My refusal of the newspaper every day causes consternation too. It seems in her world I’m being rude for not accepting the offer of a shared newspaper. She grasps I have access to more news through my computer upstairs, and even my phone, than anything landing on the porch. She just doesn’t understand why I don’t want to reinforce our social bonds with a shared newspaper. I’ve refrained, so far, from inviting her to try Eve Online. I understand it isn’t her cup of tea, and I’d find no offense in her refusal. I’m afraid the same thing cannot be said about the newspaper.

And this is where we get to the cord Brendan struck with me. The one I can’t get out of my head. People like Mike Foster, whose article Brendan based his on, and even the 94 year old, frankly irritate me. They are very quick to judge something they do not understand simply because they cannot grasp the nature of it. When I point this out (not to the 94 year old, I’m not that cruel,) I am quickly labeled arrogant or elitist. Those terms are self-worth’s last refuge for those who cannot understand my point of view. They would rather dismiss me than understand me. Understanding me and acknowledging my social activities are good ones evidently endangers their world view – and therefore their self-esteem in some strange way.

This is at least what I’ve come to believe, though it is cynical as hell and deep inside I know it does not reflect well upon me as a person. But I’ve accepted as much as I’m willing to from these people. I am no stranger to this sort of labeling and there is a long history involved. As a teenager and young adult, I was labeled as weird and possibly damaged socially because I played that demonic Dungeons and Dragons game. The people who so judged me never realized my playing that game with my friends met the same social need they craved to have filled by going to church every Sunday. My weekly sessions were no different than theirs, just my tomes were not nearly as ancient as theirs.

This is how I think it is with the age of computer based entertainment. I seldom go to bars any more to drink beer and yell at the stupid referees on the big screens. I now take my beers upstairs, log into Mumble and bitch about The Mittani. I now have a different social meeting place. One that doesn’t have a maximum occupancy sign, and that makes my social development suspect in many people’s minds. There must be something wrong with me because I’m not like them… because I don’t want to be like them.

It’s not my fault they can’t accept the fact the Internet is to me what the sports bar is to them. Or that my congregation is the world. I will not go to my grave regretting any of the time I’ve spent online. It’s where I belong. Perhaps the only thing I’ll regret is not being able to talk the rest of my friends into joining me. This regret will not be for me though. It will be for them. They’ll never know the depth of friendships I’ve made, or the fun I’ve had being part of something larger than any religion, nation, economic caste or outdated mindset.

Fly Careful

– Mabrick

He’s been around the block a time or five. With over 15 years of MMO playing under his belt and a memory that reaches back to pencils and dice, he offers his insights into the not so virtual reality we call Eve Online.

1. Kraiklyn Asatru

So do you live in your grandma’s attic? ( have to ask)

July 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm Reply
  2. Dudumarus

well said my friend …well said

July 17, 2013 at 3:35 pm Reply
  3. Khorian

Am I the only one who reads this and thinks to himself: Thank god my life is not like that.

I
    was at that point sometime in my life, playing Everquest in a raiding
    guild. I have never let myself fall that deep into a game or online
    community again. Whenever I notice myself get involved in online gaming I
    pull myself together and take a step back.

When I was a hardcore Everquest player I had become a pathetic, pale, skinny antisocial wreck of a person.

And
    I refrain from telling other people about “inside info” of my online
    gaming activities, because I am partly embarassed by them I admit. I
    mean no one who doesn’t play themselves would understand or care about
    it anyway. It really sounds pathetic: “we evicted some russians from
    their wormhole” Wow really that sounds…. well… fun?

I
    consider online gaming a big waste of time myself. Been there, done
    that, same shit different name. Yet I still do it, because it can be
    fun. But I definately could do better things with my time. I’m just
    lazy. But I also get bored with them fast so thats ok. For example I
    cant sit infront of a monitor when its hot outside, I feel like i’m
    missing out and have to go out, to the beach, drive around, eat an ice,
    meet friends, anything, just dont sit behind a monitor in a darkened
    room anymore.

Well, now you know how I feel about it, and my opinion doesn’t matter at all. I just thought I’d share it anyways 😀

July 17, 2013 at 3:38 pm Reply
    1. Mephistopheles

Honestly, I’m not sure why you’re here. Taking aside all the other components of this article. You’re on a website called “EveNews24” I’m not sure what what you expected to find, but by being here, while evicting Russians may not be your cup of tea, it’s at least one of the flavors in the box of tea you’re subscribed to. Unless you don’t play Eve, in which case. What the hell?

Part two: Online gaming can be incredibly addicting. It can distract you from your day to day lifestyle. I can think of several crap retail jobs that I spent strategizing for my current game of the month rather than really paying attention to my job. However, as a well adjusted adult, I can balance my life. I can figure out what my priorities are and schedule things appropriately. The beautiful thing about that? I can spend 20-30 hours a week, the equivalent of a part time job, playing video games, and still have plenty of time for work, social life, and a relationship. Nobody is surprised when I tell them how much I game, but nobody looks at me like I’m some form of leper.

Part Three: Gaming is like any other mini-cult activity. It’s like going to church or joining a sports team or going to a bar. You end up going to these events and attracting like minded people. You can get all up on your high horse and say it’s pathetic for gamers to talk about what they do. Just like I can get all up on my high horse and give people looks like they’re slowly starting to grow something out of their nose when they start quoting sport statistics or asking me if I’ve found Jesus. If you don’t like our cult, go find your own. Stop bugging us.

July 17, 2013 at 3:56 pm Reply
      1. Khorian

I’m just saying, that granny doesn’t give a shit about him evicting some russians from their wormhole, and why should she. It’s cool to talk to people out of your “cult” about your “cult” but why would you bugger outsiders and think they should care?

Also, as with everything, its fun until it gets excessive. You said it yourself: It can be addictive.

I am here because EvE is quite fun, I had fun in it and I was bored by it. But I won’t start and try to convince my granny or any other outsider about what I do and how cool it is, because she just doesn’t care and would say: It’s stupid because you sit on your chair and stare at the monitor for hours. And the sad part is she is partly right.

July 17, 2013 at 4:04 pm Reply
        1. Roofdog

lets see, most sports are, you run after a ball, when you finaly get it, you throw it away. or drive some car or some other means of transportation, and drive it in circles… hmm, doesn’t rly look that different as staring at a screen for hours talking to the ppl you like.

like going to a bar? for what? you go there to talk to ppl you haven’t met or actualy do know. make some strange moves whats considered dancing nowedays, and you drink alcohol. still you can do all that behind your pc playing a game.

and talking about it with friends or famely, well why not? everybody talks about stuff they like to do. I like playing eve so why shouldn’t i talk about it with friends and famely?

playing games is just like any other hobby, actualy its better. social circles becouse you play football or go to bars or go to church are realy small compared to online gaming circles.

becouse of the friends i’ve made online i can go to over 60 country’s in the world and have friends over there to show me around. And becouse of that i’ve seen alot of country’s already for just the price of a ticket and some food and drinks.

ppl who aren’t online are the ones who are missing out on stuff. its just strange those ppl don’t see that.

but ofc like any hobby, if its jumping out of planes or diving or playing football just needs to be kept in check. you can’t spend all your time on one hobby or you will ruin you life, whatever hobby you got

July 17, 2013 at 6:02 pm Reply
        2. Devore

He wasn’t “buggering” anyone, she asked him about it, and he responded like a normal, social human being. You’re the one going around hiding your shameful online addictions.

You overdo anything to the extreme, it is not healthy. Nothing wrong with shooting some spaceships, or watching a TV show, but if you lock yourself into a room for days at a time on a regular basis to do either, you’re the one with a problem. Don’t project your afflictions and addictions to normal people who are able enjoy the nice things in life in a measured fashion.

July 18, 2013 at 8:46 am Reply
    2. Daniel Grist

You hide the fact you play online game because your embarrassed?
      All I can say in the nicest possible way is grow some balls.
      I love eve online, most of my friends are what you would call “jocks” or whatever I don’t hide the fact I play eve, if they take the piss so what.
      I’m spending my time how I want to spend my time, also just because we love the gamers life doesn’t mean we don’t go outside or are pale skinny etc etc.

July 17, 2013 at 4:07 pm Reply
      1. Khorian

I don’t hide the fact, I just don’t rub it in their face because they don’t care.
        And it’s good that you find a balance between gaming and real life, but alot of gamers don’t and play it hardcore i.e. gaming IS their live. Those are the ones who should take a step back and take a good look at themselves and put a few things in perspective.

July 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm Reply
        1. Fartanni

Who are you to tell those who play games “hardcore” they should “take a step back and take a good perspective look at themselves?”

While I am of the opinion Dust sucks monkey balls and EVE has turned into a zergfest of annoying wannabe pleebs playing a shit boring game (bitter 03 vet syndrome) it produces the lols to lol at. Like this article.

July 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm Reply
          1. Khorian

By hardcore I mean “people shitting into a bucket next to their desk cartman style” hardcore. Just trying to be helpful here.

July 17, 2013 at 8:08 pm
  4. Duval

Gamer life, best life. Do what you enjoy doing and you win life.

July 17, 2013 at 3:38 pm Reply
  5. This is by far the best article I have read on this website. It summed up how i feel and the interactions with my family.

At the same time I think you need to find a balance between your out of game life and your online life.

July 17, 2013 at 4:00 pm Reply
    1. 0z0ned

I live with a 20yo who when he was 16 switched from a busy life of sport and social activity to playing online games 8-10 hours a day. He failed school, slept to midday most days, and saw no reason why he should leave his room and get a job or do anything other than keep gaming.

When you’re the one paying the bills, cleaning up and making meals, that kind of behaviour gets very old very quickly.

July 18, 2013 at 1:20 am Reply
      1. Duh

so you would think its ok if he had spend 8-10 hours a day doing some sport, then go out to bars to get drunk end fails school becouse of that?

you just proved the whole point of this article, hobby’s aint bad, as long as you won’t spend all your time in it. just becouse you got a 20yo who hasn’t learned to put stuff in prospective doesn’t mean gaming is bad. it just means he still got stuff to learn to grow up.

and if the internet and gaming didn’t exist, don’t worry, he still would have failed school. just for a different thing he was doing instead of learning. and yes you would be the one blaming that thing instead of looking at the real reason.

July 18, 2013 at 9:22 pm Reply
        1. 0z0ned

haha, your DIY psychology might make you feel better about yourself but your ignored or misread that post. This kid went from a life of diversity to a single obsession. It so happened that it was online gaming and he felt justified in behaving like that because he had numerous friends doing the same. The fact that his life was falling apart around him drove him further into that community which has left him without an education, practically zero employment opportunities etc.

You probably haven’t worked this out yet, but online games are designed to addict so comparing it to 8-10 hours a day of sport is stupid. But I’m sure you feel better telling yourself that.

And what’s with the obsession with so many of these posts with drinking?

July 18, 2013 at 11:19 pm Reply
          1. duh

Nope i didn’t missread the post. It’s the same thing you hear almost everywhere. People nowadays blame everything so they can tell themselves it’s not their fault. It’s gotten so bad that we got to put a warning on the top of a ladder that you have to stop there. And yes i realy hate that kind of ppl. I’m from a time when you used commen sence. And you were responsible for the stuff you did yourself.

And calling something like gaming addictive just means your weakminded. Hard druggs got an addictive substance in them what makes it addictive. Addiction to gaming is just an excuse for your incompetence

July 19, 2013 at 11:15 am
          2. Pregnant Wombat

Duh is right…. if it wasn’t gaming, it would be something else… however it doesn’t make gaming 10 hours a day ok when you need to take care of yourself and your future. You are right about that. But don’t blame gaming, blame him for being lazy and doing nothing with his life. Kick him out of your place if you have to. I’m all for it. Just remember though, its not gamings fault, its the guys fault for not doing anything in his life. Weak excuses for not doing anything productive is just that, weak excuses. Drugs still are a weak excuse, but at least you understand them a bit more than gaming. I think thats why people don’t like gamers. They associate the lazy people with the rest of them.

July 19, 2013 at 6:23 pm
          3. you dumbed again.

No he didn’t he pointed out that the game did not do that, he chose to do that over a game. think of it this way guns don’t kill people unless you load them and point them at someone with the safety off, and that’s all done by the idiot waving the gun.

July 24, 2013 at 2:40 am
  6. Dumbledore

On our death beds, do our wives regret our gaming?

July 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm Reply
    1. Dave The Rave

My mrs hates eve :)

July 17, 2013 at 10:43 pm Reply
      1. arkady

That’s because wives can’t stand their husbands having fun without them.

July 18, 2013 at 5:03 am Reply
        1. Dikreathz

Girlfriend loves eve .. then gets drunks and rants about how much she HATES my four characters whose names she knows by heart :) its a win lose type of thing…

July 18, 2013 at 9:31 am Reply
      2. Dumbledore

I’ve got the same feeling here

July 18, 2013 at 5:55 am Reply
  7. Nigel

I’ll regret the time spent watching television much more than the time spend online gaming. The pixels are just as phony, but the conversations are much more real.

July 17, 2013 at 4:04 pm Reply
  8. Fair Balance

I was a dinner party, and the subject of my online gaming came up, the patriarch of the family, who knows me as a hard working individual, began to say, “Don’t you feel as if you are wasting your time spending time in an online world?” I replied to him, “Sir, you watch television, and shows, much like the rest of us, I don’t watch TV, this game is my TV show, I play as a character in the drama”

He liked the response, and that was that.

That being said, everyone needs to be aware about how much time they spend in game, and ensure they lead a balanced life.

July 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm Reply
  9. Tyler

I am a full time working professional with a demanding career, wife, son, house, etc. I also find time to workout with heavy weights and run 3 – 4 days per week, pursue investment goals, and further my education. EVE and Dust 514 are my way to go to video game war for about an hour per night instead of watching trash TV or wasting money trying to learn to play another game.

Grow some balls, be a man, and pursue your passions. Carpe diem! But at the same time there is nothing wrong with dropping a few dollars on an internet spaceship missile launcher or assault rifle and going to battle a few hours per week.

July 17, 2013 at 5:01 pm Reply
  10. Lench

I am 18 and I already regret spending a few years in eve and other games. I definitely learned to speak English among other things, but other than that all the hours and the sweat I spent at the keyboard mean nothing to me now. I am into dh mountain-biking now and I wish I had discovered this sport earlier in my life. My health, confidence and social life improved. I will never regret quitting gaming, although I still like to read eve drama from time to time 😉

July 17, 2013 at 5:57 pm Reply
  11. I am not Tex

On the aspect of weekly church, it is not the same. My Pathfinder and other gaming sessions provide me with a social outlet.

My religious participation is a partly social experience, but the social experience is a byproduct. My focus is on becoming a better human being by living a life in accordance to the example and the teachings set forth by Jesus Christ and the apostles, which is a very hard thing to do and which I will probably never fully complete to my own satisfaction. It is also a place where I provide service to my community, mainly through mentoring, but also through disaster relief and humanitarian aid.

The Player’s Handbook in whatever iteration may be fun, but it does not fill the same space in my life as the scriptures. They are not meant to, and that is fine. Some people do not want to go to church, do not have a spiritual need that must be fulfilled, and I respect that choice. But as somebody that games, who is religious, and who is also trying to become a physicist and works in an office enviroment due to the part time job of teaching others, these things are not the same.

Being a part of EVE Online means that every night for an hour or two I can log in, get on mumble, and interact with people. It helps sometimes because I’m a rural person, and cannot always afford to drive back into town to find entertainment after I take care of the folks and the homestead. But at the end of the day, I will probably never meet these people, and it is all just numbers and spreadsheets and pixels on a computer screen. If they pulled the plug on this game tomorrow, I’ll be sad for a bit, but then I’ll move on and find some other form of entertainment to fill that want/need.

July 17, 2013 at 6:01 pm Reply
    1. Justin May

Jesus is magic.

July 17, 2013 at 6:20 pm Reply
      1. Islamist Jew Jesus

Jesus and other imaginary friends are just that, imaginary. And what the fuck is this piece of shit article about really? Your socially inept lifestyle or your need to share the fact you are angry others clearly don’t understand you. Who cares? Not imaginary Jesus or others with at least two brain cells.

July 17, 2013 at 7:27 pm Reply
        1. u mad?

Show me on the doll where the priest touched you.

July 24, 2013 at 2:36 am Reply
    2. Gorgoth24

I commend your bravery for making such a post considering how atheistic the internet is. I also agree with you.

While church and the internet both serve as social outlets, church also serves the ideological purpose of empowering those who believe. I doubt anyone would miss the distinction between a party with friends and, say, protesting outside the capitol for something in which you truly believe. While you may be protesting with your friends, it is only part of the point.

I also happen to be an atheist from Texas that has struggled with understanding religious people often, so I think it’s an important thing to emphasize.

July 17, 2013 at 7:20 pm Reply
    3. Playos

Perhaps he should have gone with “going to church on Wednesday” instead, but there are a lot of people who make the church their entire social universe… in the same way online gamers the online world their entire social universe… He didn’t say either was bad, or that people exist who only access the most typical utility (religious serves/volunteer work, blowing things up/relaxing mining lasers) but there are healthy people accessing a more intensive way and doing it in a healthy way.

As a side note, there are people in both groups doing it in a very non-healthy way… Westboro and people who ignore the real world completely. The point of the article is that church goers get the assumption of healthy activity, while gamers get the assumption of being a bad weekend away from suicide over an in-game loss.

July 18, 2013 at 11:47 pm Reply
  12. Leicester

Shit, I’m 32 and I regret wasting the last 10 years of my life on MMOs already instead of establishing a proper, meaningful relationship – I’m only glad I figured out there’s a damn sight more important things in life than computer games before it was too late.

July 17, 2013 at 7:27 pm Reply
    1. Cold as ice

I think you missed what hes saying, You go to a bar and sit there for 4 hours getting wasted, or sit at your computer chatting up 30 dudes in your corp while drinking and shooting shit is the same, but some ppl have a hard time understanding that.

Now ignoring life in general is just foolish.

I have played eve 6 years straight 4 hours a day and weekends i still took time to find a wife and make 3 children.

July 17, 2013 at 7:41 pm Reply
      1. Pregnant Wombat

I agree, Married with 2 kids myself, and have a decent job.. Playing games is cool… just don’t make it your life. Because of my real life.. I probably never will be the top Eve Player in the game… but I could care less. I have a real life, and after Eve, I’ll be fine. Im sure its the same for most of us. But I think we all know of a few players where its not the case. I’d hate to be those guys.

July 19, 2013 at 6:18 pm Reply
    2. Ted

You mean you feel socially pressured into believing your life should centre around a meaningful relationship. Newsflash: this is bullshit.

July 17, 2013 at 7:50 pm Reply
  13. Gorgoth24

I do agree with Mabrick/Riverini. I managed to graduate top 10% in High School, have a social life to my satisfaction, maintain a relationship, and still devote countless hours to the game I love.

I do not feel like the one has taken away from the others. Quite the contrary. Whenever life got tough for me: whether it be a family member dying, a particularly bad break-up, or the natural disaster that is still being felt in my town, it was always of immense comfort to me to be playing EVE. Whatever my real life troubles were, I could always log into a world and have some fun before returning to “real life”. That’s not to say the two were completely separate, or that it was simply an escape akin to some sort of addiction. EVE was just a secondary social sphere that was insulated from many of the turmoils of “real life”.

I feel like such points of view will become more commonplace in time. Us internet introverts or whatever we may be called will hopefully become just as normal as the rest of the hobbies.

July 17, 2013 at 7:33 pm Reply
  14. Snorkel25

Like most things, you only get out what you put in. I’ve been in some pretty sad corps in my day socially. Most of the first year playing EVE is wasn’t really in a group, just a bunch of individuals who would play an MMO as anti-socially as possible, now I am in an a five corp that really tries to model itself after a real-life bar type atmosphere and everything is a group activity with great social interaction.

That said, my real life social activities are far from what most people would consider stunted. I work in the very socially close, and competitive field field of aviation where coworkers are also you drinking buddies and 2-3 ‘work’ parties every weekend ins the norm. What most people don’t understand about online gaming is how people choose to pass up face-to-face relationships to go play a game, regardless of who it’s with. And in this aspect, online gaming is not quite the same.

July 17, 2013 at 7:59 pm Reply
  15. Taram

Good write-up. Very well said. For years my own family (mom & dad I love you but you live in the past) didn’t understand and even now, when I’m an adult supporting a wife, 3 kids 5 birds (sorry guys on TS/Vent/Mumble!) and 2 dogs they think it’s “ridiculous” that I spend time playing online games. I’ve been playing online since my BBS days in the mid-late 80s and on the internet on Muds, Mux’s, Muse’s and into UO/EQ1/etc and today, still, in EVE Online. Before that, like the OP, I played AD&D, Gamma World, White Wolf (Love my Virtual Adept!) etc….

It’s funny that people don’t get this simple fact:
    Some of us prefer to interact with other people around the world in a game we all enjoy to getting blasted in a sports bar over a sport that, at the end of the day, has zero impact on our lives.

Still love that analogy…. Great article.

My only regret in my online life is that I will not get to meet, in person, so many of the great friends I’ve made online over the decades.

July 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm Reply
  16. Cloora

This is a good article and I agree with your sentiment

July 17, 2013 at 8:03 pm Reply
  17. Comparing church to D&D as if it were the same as joining a fantasy baseball league or local knitting club seems foolish and short-sighted to me. My tax dollars better not be subsidizing your subsistence…

July 17, 2013 at 8:26 pm Reply
    1. The Noob

He was not comparing church to D&D, he was comparing two social activities that people in his life may have had (both just are been based on fantasy worlds). Do not try to bring any kind of religious discussion into an Eve blog nor judge him/her for their belief.

July 18, 2013 at 1:02 am Reply
    2. Dirty Rotten Sneaky Bastard

No, my tax dollars are subsidizing my own subsistence. For 25 years I worked full time (most times 2 or more jobs) paying into the system, until one day I was given an 8 story flying lesson (courtesy of an undocumented worker that had no clue on safety protocols, who removed the bolts from a catwalk). Now I am disabled and internet and internet gaming is my window to the outside world and my social life. With out that, I would be a total shut in waiting to die.

July 18, 2013 at 1:04 am Reply
  18. Helican

As a long internet player, I have to agree with the sentiments of this article. Three children, wife and a lab mix keep me plenty busy, but the online community has for me been a source of friendships that have lasted and created a lot of good in my life.
    A friend I made playing Close Combat III on the MSN gaming zone right as Roger-Wilco brought voice to the gaming world is responsible for the job I have and the reason my family move 1500 miles.

July 17, 2013 at 8:42 pm Reply
  19. billy goats

We are products of our time,i bet that 94 year old lady could take you to school how to survive if your power went out for a month and you cant click or draw a credit card to solve problem.

July 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm Reply
    1. Playos

Yes, I’m sure a 94 year old women would do well without electricity, the ability to borrow money, or access saved money

July 18, 2013 at 11:36 pm Reply
  20. :)

This is officially the only nice comment I will ever make on this site.

But it is nice to know I’m not the only one having that conversation every time I explain one of my MMO’s to a non-gamer, and its even better to find out that I’m not the only one getting called a shut in elitist because I’m a gamer.

July 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm Reply
  21. Me me

nice piece, agree very strongly with your sentiment. Mu friends are almost all online made, we have met up for beer and such in the real world, but being at home in front of my comp is much more comfortable (beer is cheaper and the fridge is close). I have no regrets about the time I have spent. The previous generation went to the pub and typically had to piss or vomit on the way home in the wee hours..

July 17, 2013 at 10:15 pm Reply
    1. 0z0ned

Wives/girlfriends these days aren’t going to stand for either version sorry bud.

July 18, 2013 at 5:22 am Reply
      1. you just dumbed.

So explain all the married eve players who spend 40+ hours a week playing EVE…

July 24, 2013 at 2:30 am Reply
  22. 0z0ned

MMO’s are an abstraction of consciousness that people can sometimes completely supplant for real life. Their in-game goals can supersede real-life obligations such as family, finance, off-line friends etc and personal validation begins to come from the game rather than real life achievements and engagement. This is what non-gamers do not understand as they see your immersion in another world with all the players that make it up, as a rejection of their relationship with you and your obligations to your real-life environment.

I’m not saying MMO’s are bad, but they are designed to addict and as with any addiction they can fuck you up.

July 18, 2013 at 1:09 am Reply
  23. Roger Roger

Well gamers get all the hottest chicks thats for sure.

July 18, 2013 at 3:10 am Reply
  24. lol!

its his mum.

July 18, 2013 at 7:46 am Reply
  25. Drojdier

So instead of your mom’s basement you live in your grandma’s attic. Great upgrade bro!

July 18, 2013 at 2:15 pm Reply
  26. Daisai

You life with your 94 year old mom or grandmother?

July 18, 2013 at 2:44 pm Reply
  27. joeyzasa

I have been very lucky, my fiancee (of 4 years, stringing that shit out), will ask me “you going to play your game”…..she understands that by having me go fly my spaceships, she won’t hear me rage how the “housewives” franchise is destroying people’s brains…..

July 18, 2013 at 3:06 pm Reply
  28. chubbychaser

Is granny a large woman? I like older fat chicks myself… she ain’t a lady if she ain’t 280…

July 18, 2013 at 5:55 pm Reply
  29. Dirk MacGirk

Leave the old lady alone and just stay in your nerd cave drinking Mountain Dew and raging at Mittens until its time to put the lotion on her feet again. And for fuck sake, grab the newspaper and humor her.

July 19, 2013 at 4:34 pm Reply
  30. twatbag

carebear is annoyed at 94 year old for not understanding eve online….

July 22, 2013 at 1:56 pm Reply