odyssey_red

Since Cerebral Wolf has made himself persona non grata to the CFC through his horrifically played Meta game with the Dust community. (Helped in no small part by an agitprop theatre written by The Mittani.) He’s decided to take a final stab at the CFC and dropped a little care package off at the desk of EN24. The following contains snippets from five jabber chat logs containing what he claims to be (queue ominous music) “damning evidence” implicating Clusterfuck Coalition members (CSM8 delegate Mynnna included) in a scheme to speculate on markets with data retrieved from CCP’s CHAOS developer testbed server.

The chat logs do not detail EXACTLY from whom, where, or how the data was obtained. The best I was able to deduce is that “some russian” on the “the russian eve forums” (not a Goon?) managed to compromise the CHAOS server and pulled a ton of juicy info from it. Via some third party communications, I assume a forum, the data was available. Goons then plotted and prepared to speculate on the markets before FanFest anticipating the complete removal of Ice Belts. The majority of the discussion seems to center around what various isotopes to speculate upon. Most of it is random drivel about taking Adderall and ripping on some deaf guy who asked a question at FanFest.

(Took a lot of heart to stand up and do that. Bravo sir, whoever you are.)

According to a tweet from Mynnna. They made trillions:

Here are a few selected jabber highlights, the original files – as we received them – are linked at the end of this article. Just for reference, the 2013 FanFest (where most of these announcement were officially made) ocurred between April 25th to 27th, so pay attention to the timestamps.

Conversation with [email protected] at 4/21/2013 1:16:02 PM on [email protected]/Home (jabber)

(6:34:17 PM) basil_vulpine: The test server not having ice – is that a rumour or confirmed?

(6:34:53 PM) sulzer_wartzilla: not the test server, but chaos

(6:36:28 PM) basil_vulpine: Thanks sulzer_wartzilla. Do we have any ongoing eyes on the chaos server?
(6:36:59 PM) sulzer_wartzilla: probably, but nothing i know of – i just get this info from people more clever than me

Conversation with [email protected] at 4/22/2013 10:33:54 PM on [email protected]/Home (jabber)

(11:52:07 PM) mmarlon: In the new build ice fields in the table Celestials not returned, but in a table with text strings found an interesting entry: Blue Ice Belt, White Glaze Belt, Smooth Glacial Mass Belt etc. No map location of those found. All the ice harvesters have reduced basic cycle twice. At T2 harvester cycle decreased from 500 to 250 seconds.
(11:52:56 PM) mmarlon: rough translation from russian eve forum, hacking Chaos server thread
(11:53:21 PM) garr_khan: huh
(11:53:24 PM) garr_khan: interesting
(11:53:40 PM) garr_khan: significantly shorter cycles would maybe point to a LS/NS move
(11:54:40 PM) captain_pitts: what does this mean :ohdear:
(11:54:47 PM) mmarlon: yeah, those cycles was long enough for loosing mind
(11:54:57 PM) garr_khan: i… dont really know
(11:55:07 PM) mmarlon: it means that ccp is experimenting with cycle times
(11:55:14 PM) garr_khan: i think he meant the first part
(11:55:27 PM) mmarlon: if shorter, ice will just shit out of harvesters like mad
(11:56:18 PM) mmarlon: the first part is that in todays build patched on Chaos server (closed only for developpers) the cache scrapping of celestials temp files
(11:56:46 PM) mmarlon: have show no ice fields, just as was last couple of days
(11:57:11 PM) mmarlon: so there is very very big chance that ice belts are no more static in the map
(11:57:12 PM) vatek: they might reduce the refine quantities to compensate
(11:57:13 PM) garr_khan: having no celestials but still references to “ice belts” would maybe point to exploration sigs?
(11:57:18 PM) vatek: yeah
(11:57:26 PM) vatek: or something to do with this new discovery scanner thing that they havent shown yet
(11:57:30 PM) mmarlon: it seems so
(11:57:41 PM) mmarlon: exploration will be source of ice
(11:58:01 PM) captain_pitts: :getin:
(11:58:13 PM) fievel_08: Would the cap how much a single block would put out though?
(11:58:56 PM) mmarlon: let me ask, but my russian is very bad
(11:59:11 PM) garr_khan: beats mine
(11:59:12 PM) mmarlon: here, google have nice tranlat:
(11:59:15 PM) mmarlon:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.eve-ru.com%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D90085%26st%3D2360

(12:17:18 AM) cerebral_wolf: When does PH start moving stuff again?
(12:20:00 AM) angry_mustache: huh, sanctum ratting is actually not that bad
(12:20:30 AM) mynnna: ah yeah we found out about the harvester change earlier this morning

(12:42:52 AM) mmarlon: just curious, is it custom here to hide relevant data and do goonfuckery or i am stupid revealing about cycles halved?
(12:43:00 AM) platinumdrgn: im sure it will be like normal belts that replenish at DT’s
(12:43:02 AM) mynnna: share away. v0v
(12:44:07 AM) gefunkt: just keep in mind that while some goons are scary smart, most are dumb and will do pretty much whatever you tell them
(12:45:00 AM) mmarlon: ok then, lemme check net for cache readers and do that cache reading myself, that russian hacker does not look very trustfull to me, nor have knowledge what to look for.
(12:45:40 AM) Jack Haydn: mmarlon: you’re looking for reverence
(12:46:33 AM) mmarlon: yeah, but python is not me, only c++, and looking for ready tool on rusian forums to finish the work today
(12:47:58 AM) mmarlon: all libraries i know of are focused on marked data, but we dont need that. reverence is perfect, but lets look for finished tool
(12:48:11 AM) mmarlon: not library
(12:54:04 AM) tiberizzle:

mmarlon: reverence has a static data dump tool as one of its examples but it’s not very… working

(12:56:55 AM) mmarlon: eh just received friendly warning that i can be banned for this, so lets leave it as it is and read russian forum
(12:57:23 AM) garr_khan: yeah let the russians take the risk
(12:57:25 AM) captain_pitts: warning from where
(12:57:37 AM) garr_khan: the aether

(1:32:04 AM) mmarlon: well its accidentally confirmed that ice belts are removed from cellestial map database on chaos
(1:32:51 AM) mmarlon: my doughter accidentally clicked at mapbulk.db and what a luck it happened that its just simple standard sqllite database
(1:33:41 AM) mmarlon: so some program associated with that extension oppened and voila, all eve from chaos server openned
(1:34:22 AM) mmarlon: one of first columns is groupID and 9 is belt
(1:34:23 AM) mynnna: we’ve already confirmed that
(1:34:23 AM) mynnna: fyi
(1:34:25 AM) mynnna: :ssh:
(1:34:46 AM) mmarlon: ah, ok
(1:35:32 AM) deadtear: almost like it was confirmed days ago
(1:36:46 AM) mmarlon: yes but there is more
(1:39:38 AM) woofybean: more?
(1:40:59 AM) jon_lucien: I question the moreness of your more
(1:41:57 AM) mynnna: also
(1:42:04 AM) mynnna:

“yeah nbd I just accidentally downloaded the chaos files.”

(1:42:06 AM) mynnna: :haw:
(1:42:53 AM) jon_lucien: my cat accidentally downloaded the files when I set it on the keyboard

Conversation with [email protected] at 4/23/2013 1:56:53 PM on [email protected]/Home (jabber)

(9:19:55 PM) vatek: say, did anyone check that chaos build for battleship mineral changes?
(9:22:05 PM) mmarlon: working on it right now

Conversation with [email protected] at 4/24/2013 12:13:07 PM on [email protected]/Home (jabber)

(5:44:08 PM) grapefist: mynnna, do they have rules about using your csm position to make tons of isk on speculation (I don’t see how they would enforce it)
(5:44:22 PM) mynnna: yes
(5:44:24 PM) mynnna: “don’t”
(5:44:27 PM) vatek: im really interested in this odyssey scannre thing
(5:44:30 PM) vatek: scanner*
(5:44:47 PM) mynnna: it would be rather obvious if a character on any of my accounts bought up something that would increase in price before anyone knew anything about it, don’t you think?
(5:45:27 PM) kais_fiddler: yep.
(5:45:29 PM) vatek: that seems perfectly benign :frankfrank:
(5:45:35 PM) Ish at work: you mean
(5:45:37 PM) Ish at work: like lotka volterra
(5:45:40 PM) Ish at work: band of brothers
(5:45:41 PM) Ish at work: and goonswarm did
(5:45:44 PM) grapefist: I suppose so
(5:46:02 PM) kais_fiddler: p sure there’s been cases where a retard got booted for trying to take advantage of insider knowledge?
(5:46:09 PM) kais_fiddler: Ish at work: stop being sensible
(5:46:26 PM) mynnna: kais_fiddler: yes
(5:46:38 PM) mynnna: back pre-dominion when they were changing moon goo
(5:46:44 PM) grapefist: Did not know that
(5:46:50 PM) mynnna: some dude bought several billion isk worth of neodymium
(5:46:57 PM) kais_fiddler: ahhh yes
(5:46:59 PM) mynnna: some csm dude that is
(5:47:02 PM) kais_fiddler: that’s right
(5:47:06 PM) kais_fiddler: danke
(5:47:16 PM) grapefist: That’s not even that much
(5:47:17 PM) vatek: i take it this was the days of yonder when several billion isk was a lot
(5:47:25 PM) kais_fiddler: yea
(5:47:26 PM) kais_fiddler: it was
(5:47:46 PM) vatek: thats going to be p shitty for mynnna
(5:47:52 PM) eddict: ehe
(5:47:59 PM) kais_fiddler: why
(5:48:04 PM) deadtear: Tazuki Falorn: hi
(5:48:05 PM) eddict: yea he will just let is know about stuff earlier now :p
(5:48:09 PM) mynnna: no
(5:48:09 PM) mynnna: I won’t
(5:48:12 PM) grapefist: I mean it’s a lot back then, but I thought it would have taken more to get booted
(5:48:24 PM) eddict: without violating that agreement ofc
(5:48:25 PM) vatek: because his regular speculation plays will start to look like insider knowledge if hes on the csm
(5:48:28 PM) kais_fiddler: grapefist: seriously?
(5:48:29 PM) mynnna: and no even around dominion the amount that he bought wasn’t THAT much.
(5:48:34 PM) mynnna: it was just that he was doing it at all

But what does it all mean?

Was the EULA violated? I don’t know. It’s really hard to tell. This whole thing seems to fall into a giant grey area, which was capitalized upon.

On the other hand, Cerebrawl Wolf claimed to have contacted CCP Games regarding the breach, the response was… predictable: