maps_sov

Here’s a test.

In game, go to the star map and tell me the number of jumps it is via shortest route from Stacmon to Vey in Placid region. Don’t use out of game tools like a printed map of Placid or Dotlan Maps. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

Done yet? I bet you that unless you were in one of those two systems already (or know Placid really well), you used autopilot waypoints to figure it out: set one waypoint to Stacmon, made note of the number of jumps, second waypoint on Vey and subtracted the number of jumps to Stacmon from the total to figure out its three jumps.

Of course, no one uses the in game map unless they are ignorant of out of game tools like Dotlan (or a complete masochist). With Dotlan you open up the region map and in two seconds (or three if you live in null sec *burn!*) you count the three jumps between the two systems. At a glance.

Why is it not that easy in game?

The new feature that shows your autopilot route in space mapped on the stars is neat. Useless beyond some immersion factor, but neat. But it highlights how incredibly shitty the in game map tools are. Dotlan maps should not need to exist. All of its functionality should be part and parcel of the game and the fact that it is not is primarily due to the age old CCP tradition of letting players who love the game cover their asses for them.

“We don’t have to work on the star map because players will dedicate their time and money to create tools to do it for us!” That’s pretty cynical, CCP, even for you.

The first thing I tried to do when I saw that route in space was click on a star for name and sec status info. I knew it wouldn’t work; I pay attention to the dev blogs, I knew what was coming. But still, I wanted it to work. I want the map tools in game to be as handy and full featured and easy to use at Dotlan maps. I want the fitting tool in game to allow me to explore ship fitting possibilities like Pyfa and EFT. I want my directional scanner to provide summarized information on detected ship types like Dingo’s Toolbox.

I want tools in Eve to BE awesome instead of just hinting at it.

– Kirith Kodachi

We are proud to bring you the stories, opinions and musings of a long time pilot who has dabbled in everything New Eden has to offer, he writes and podcasts about his opinions and adventures at Ninveah.com

1. 0_o

"Of course, no one uses the in game map unless they are ignorant of out of game tools like Dotlan (or a complete masochist)."

and for those of us that do use the ingame map and can use the ingame map with some degree of competence? clue up.

hopeless article where you whine, abuse and make no suggestions for improvement, apart from saying click a star in space, brilliant. great article

February 28, 2013 at 3:43 pm Reply
    1. jammer

Some people need a Xanax. The in game map needs work. That's what the article stated. If he said it in one sentence u gripe….if he writes a twelve paragraph article u gripe….basically yall gripe like a bunch of old hens strutting around around a barnyard

February 28, 2013 at 4:21 pm Reply
      1. DryThoseTears

All I got from this article was Waaaaaah! Waaaaaah! Waaaaaah! In game map is fine if you're not a retard. L2EvE.

February 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm Reply
        1. jammer

Basically I could care less one way or the other about the stoooopid map. But its tiring to see all the crying about "This article says nothing"…. or "I could have said this on one sentance..it's too long". You are all a bunch of bitching barnyard hens crying about every article that comes out. If you dont like what you read, go back to MSNBC and read their trash. I happen to appreciate that someone took the time to write "something" / "anything" about the game I love. You all sound like a bunch of old ladies who need to change their Depends.

February 28, 2013 at 11:41 pm Reply
          1. FuckURepublitard

L2English Cletus

March 1, 2013 at 11:36 am
          2. SILENTSAM69

FOX News is not spelled MSNBC…

March 4, 2013 at 12:33 am
        2. Waah waah

Explain to me how you plan a jump route using only station systems using the in game tools.

March 1, 2013 at 11:28 am Reply
          1. NotThatDifficult

Jump in your cyno capable ship and look at the sphere surrounding you in the star map, duh.

March 1, 2013 at 11:34 am
          2. Waah waah

And you consider that adequate. Duh.

March 1, 2013 at 8:50 pm
          3. NotThatDifficult

> adequate thankyou. Cry moar pls.

March 1, 2013 at 11:48 pm
    2. SILENTSAM69

It seems not many agree with you. I do. The in game map is quite easy to use, and the only one I use. I find Dotlan annoying and slow. I have not bothered to try and understand those dotlan maps.
      Hit F11 and you got a great little set of maps, and quite easy to use. Hit F10 and it may be a lot to look through, but if you know how to use it there is no problem.

March 4, 2013 at 12:32 am Reply
  2. Slothen

my suggestions

make it so with multiple waypoints you don't get two yellow gates.

move the starmap->solar map button somewhere OTHER THAN THE DAMN "MAP" window. When I started playing, you could click a zoom in and zoom out button next to the capacitor for that, then later they removed it. Also split the "map" button on the scanner tool so there's one button for solar map, and one for star map. This would be a huge improvement, as it requires an entire separate window to be open if you want to use both.

February 28, 2013 at 3:54 pm Reply
  3. sash

In game map is a nightmare. Id love to see CCP make it more intuitive and easier to use

February 28, 2013 at 4:35 pm Reply
  4. dreamer.

well for a starter why can't i see JB on the starmap from alliances that Im +10 to why can't the Autopilot use JB networks to give us better routs why do i have to use a out of the game map tool to even know how to travel the vast regions of space my alliance and my allied alliances use.

the game should first add a coaltion entity above alliances and then allow you to set your JB to Coalition use *done*
    then the map feature could show all jb and route good routes through space not just show mea 17 jump route when there is a 4 jump route by using a JB

February 28, 2013 at 4:36 pm Reply
    1. omg

Why can't you use proper punctuation?

February 28, 2013 at 5:22 pm Reply
  5. anonymous

I agree that the in-game map needs work, but for roaming solo (without scouts and such) it is even now an indispensable tool in addition to Dotlan an Eve-kill.

February 28, 2013 at 4:37 pm Reply
  6. Selth

Personally I dont mind the ingame map… Don't really see what the fuss is about

February 28, 2013 at 4:43 pm Reply
    1. Smo

A metaphor to guide your understanding.

Using the in-game map is similar to riding a bicycle without a seat. Sure, it's a functioning bicycle, but it's a pain in the ass to use.

Unless, of course, you happen to enjoy riding a bicycle with no seat. Do you?

February 28, 2013 at 8:50 pm Reply
      1. Selth

I'm still not convinced… I can find all the relevant info I need ingame with little effort scratch a jump range plotter or Jump bridge network. I can see using visual representation of an array of statistics that help me plan my routes or gather helpful Intel on a system all with out having to tab out to a new window or use the ingame browser

February 28, 2013 at 10:12 pm Reply
        1. Onoes! WAYPOINTS!!!

You're lucky you still have jump bridges at all, there was a short while in Eve when all the jump bridges went offline while CCP decided whether or not to take them out of the game completely, then they gave you corp bookmarks so each individual pilot didn't have to go round bookmarking them for themselves, and now you want a map function that that basically clears a few systems off your autopilot waypoints. Why don't all you whingeing faggots just fuck off to Hello Kitty already, pussies.

February 28, 2013 at 11:16 pm Reply
    2. EVE_Dude

The fuss is that it is useless for things you want to use a map for.

As a relatively new player, I keep saying this. We live in an age where we can travel across the galaxy, build space stations, real-time clone ourselves, and have warp engines. But I still have to manually convert AU to KMs, or even deal with the abomination that is dscan at all, or use a star map whose only redeeming quality is that is looks pretty.

Why do we have to deal with such shitty tools?

February 28, 2013 at 10:46 pm Reply
      1. Herp

Why waste development resources on such a small thign where there is so much more that can be done

March 4, 2013 at 6:45 pm Reply
  7. Lionel Joeseph

Apparently many moons ago CCP approached Wollari about integrating a feature like Dotlan into EVE but nothing ever came of it.

February 28, 2013 at 5:05 pm Reply
    1. Nope. No one started talks with me about map functions and eve ingame integration. I know many Devs love and use my maps but in CCP's eyes I'm just one of many 3rd party devs.

Maybe one day … I'm waiting to see what CCP will do in the future with maps. Work together with the community or just secretly replicate their work in their own style.

February 28, 2013 at 7:37 pm Reply
      1. Teflon_Goblin

you are a great service to eve online and i use your maps constantly, i thank you with all of my thanks for your service.

February 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm Reply
      2. Lionel_Joeseph

I was wondering where you were hiding. Keep up the good work.

March 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm Reply
  8. Shippy

Ingame map is decent but set up in a crappy way by default

February 28, 2013 at 5:25 pm Reply
  9. Lumifragger

An update was added to the ingame map already which fixed all problems, an ambient sound was added.

February 28, 2013 at 5:53 pm Reply
  10. I agree. I've always been a proponent to sidelining the out-of-game third party apps in favor of one that CCP includes in the actual game. The war reports are a good step towards removing killboards, as is opening up corp kills/losses to be visible to the whole corp. Now they need to do this for Alliances, and allow it to be made public if the Alliance wants.

Same with pyfa/EFT. What happens if the support for these dries up? We hope someone steps up to the plate? And why doesn't EVEGate have EVEMon functionality? Why doesn't the character sheet? I'm a CCP fanboy, but wtf…

February 28, 2013 at 7:05 pm Reply
  11. eves4pros

I don't want to use scanner probes .. they are to difficult to use .. I just want to point where I want to go and hit warp!!!!1one

March 1, 2013 at 8:11 am Reply
  12. grunt

Who cares that the ingame map doesn't work? Dotlan does the job perfectly, and I would prefer to have CCP use their limited ressources on something more usefull than duplicating existing out-of-game functiononality.

March 1, 2013 at 10:30 am Reply
  13. starranger

Been playing eve for 10 years now, never used the ingame map for plotting my eve journies as it is just crap. What i do found intereseting about the map was the amount of people in systems, ships destroyed, where they F my asset was, and where my corp members in space are.

When they finaly fixed the "where have i been in eve" on the map i was even more happier :)

Further then that, its just a part of the game i dont use.
    Thanks to Dotland i know in a heartbeat how to plot my jumps, go around camps and such.

If CCP could make that ingame it would be awesome, but i dont keep my hope very high for it.

March 4, 2013 at 7:08 pm Reply