Comments

May 2003 was a fun time for those fortunate enough to have heard about a little known MMO called EVE Online. Released across North America and Europe, it introduced us to a galaxy of spaceships, scamming, thievery and fun that had been sorely missing from the MMO market. Gone were the days when you could cry to a GM and have your stuff returned simply because you said that they lied to you. EVE Online introduced us to the harsh reality of humanity; don’t believe everything you’re told. Coined as the ‘the sandbox’, CCP set us free to do as we wished as long as we didn’t mess with the system itself or exploit our way to fame and fortune. Who would have guessed that it would be nearly 10 years later, we’re still here and CCP is still building our universe and so much has happened.

I started playing EVE back in 2008. I had come across an article in the gaming press that spoke of a great heist by Guiding Hand Social Club. They had spent a year on a contract preparing the demise of Ubiqua Seraph, a well known corporation and by all accounts a rather disliked one. This heist culminated in Guiding Hand Social Club stealing all of their assets and ISK which totalled over 30bn, as well as podding the CEO and completing their contract. Reading this made me salivate. I had been an avid gamer for years but the idea of being given free reign to cheat, lie, scam and steal your way to the top without the fear of incarceration or convictions. How could I resist? I’ve been in EVE ever since, starting in high sec, moving to low sec for a while and tussling with Pandemic Legion on numerous occasions to ending up in null.

EVE Online itself has changed in the last 10 years as well, mot so much in ways that would have made the game entirely unrecognisable to someone from 2003 but more so as tremors that have shaken things up and changed the way we play. Some of the things that have changed and matter most to me have been the change to sovereignty in nullsec so that it isn’t tower based, as well as the beginning of wormhole space. Nullsec used to be an exercise in annoyance and would send many logistics directors grey with stress trying to keep so many towers fueled and healthy. Thought, even with all of these changes, Apocrypha was the last great expansion that really sought to push the envelope and showcased CCP at their best. In between we’ve had logistics cruisers flying backwards, long bouts of downtime and the debacle that was ‘walking in stations’. Retribution has sought to redress the balance and has introduced many nice little changes but no expansion since Apocrypha has made me want to log in just to play around with the changes or made me excited that patch day was upon us.

Who can forget the scandals that have embroiled CCP such as ‘The t20 scandal’ where a GM had deliberately assisted BoB with BPO’s that they sorely needed as well as the ‘Summer of Discontent’ where the player base had finally had enough. The protests showed that the real world wasn’t the only place to protest and eventually forced CCP to listen to those that had kept them in business for so long. Eventually players got what they wanted in the form of a more receptive, attentive and reactive CCP, although the road to compromise has been paved with ill-conceived CCP memos and lots of antagonising from both sides.

There have been many highlights from the last 10 years such as the PLEX Aid scheme that has seen the player community raise untold amounts of money for charity and help those in need. DUST 514 will join up console gamers who fight on planets with assistance from capsuleers and the beta has been promising and gripping stuff. CCP itself has sought to cut off some of the deadwood in the company and make it more able to respond to the players. There’s still a way to go but it’s probably the best it has been in all of EVE’s existence.

Then there is the epic history of New Eden itself, shaped by us, the community. Nobody can deny though that one of the biggest events of the last 10 years was the demise of Band of Brothers and the GBC and the rise of Goonswarm and the CFC. There were, have been and are polarising opinions on both sides of the conflict but it cannot be denied that the obliteration of BoB was a coup de grâce that even Goonswarm couldn’t have imagined. The absolute shitstorm that followed was of epic proportions and one of the defining moments that bitter vets everywhere will likely never forget. After the fall of BoB, there were many tears for some and for others it was a day of jubilant celebration but for the rest of us that watched from afar, we couldn’t help but clap at the audacity of it.

Fast forward a few years it was the turn of the Northern Coalition. Not to be confused with NC., the alliance that sprung up in their place, but the stalwarts of EVE Online made of a number of alliances from Morsus Mihi to RAZOR and numerous others. Morsus Mihi had been on the map for so long that players could have been mistaken for thinking that they’d actually had a pact going with CCP to have the north as their permanent residence. All of that was shot to pieces, though, when they traded their position of power for ISK and were shot at by the Drone Russian Forces with the very ships they’d sold them them to become rich in the first place. Their fall from grace reverberated around EVE and led to alliances all over New Eden expressly forbidding the sale of Super Capitals to anyone outside of their respective alliance for fear of being set red and summarily removed.

Today, the entire map of EVE is different. Goonswarm and the CFC combined with Test Alliance Please Ignore and the HBC make up the largest combined number of players in the game. Alliances have come and gone in between and will likely continue to do so. But nullsec is a very different place to what it was before. In empire space, carebears have been empowered with new ways to punish their enemies, which has also given pirating and mercenary corporations a new lease of life. No longer can you simply gank a miner in a belt and laugh at their tears in local. They can then sell the kill rights on you and laugh themselves silly getting kill reports on you in return.

I have enjoyed the last 10 years minus the walking in stations debacle and the leaked memos from CCP. I look forward to another 10 years of EVE Online and the addition of DUST 514. Let’s just hope we’re all still here for me to write an article celebrating the next big anniversary of EVE Online and everyone that plays it.

- Mino Noud

1. Antigoony

Enjoyable read, thanks!

December 13, 2012 at 7:27 pm Reply
  2. SgtSimons

Cheers to eve! may it last another 10 years

December 13, 2012 at 7:45 pm Reply
  3. Father Gabriel

yes cheers to the game goontest and pets online cheers o/

December 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm Reply
  4. -A- FC

Congratuations.. and no.. Eve won't last another 10 years without a major rethink.

Not sure how long everyone wants to play techgoogoons online. I think they will get bored of it before anyone else!

The idea behind EVE and the social networks and ideas created within it will last a generation however so here's to the next year, may it bring real change.

December 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm Reply
    1. M1k3y

Remove moon goo, add a bottom up income for alliances (alliance tax maybe?)

That would end the tech problem, and along with it the bottomless wallet that gives major alliances the isk for super blobs and the ability to welp fleets and then SRP 30b every few days.

That along with an overhaul of how sovereignty works (maybe allow corporations to hold sov again along with it?) and EVE will last another decade easily.

December 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm Reply
    2. Borg Dude

wait -a- still have fc`s rofl

December 14, 2012 at 3:59 am Reply
      1. Father Gabriel

stfu blobb dude

December 14, 2012 at 3:36 pm Reply
    3. cfcgrunt

it will work itself out… probably a war between the cfc and the hbc:D i am a cfc member and i hope for it to happen so yeah …

December 14, 2012 at 6:10 am Reply
  5. Yeah

The illogical hate toward Walking in Stations should really stop. It is more than childish and utterly idiotic now. WiS is needed, WiS is wanted by the community (except the few vocal minority than hates it), WiS is the logical expansion of the game and sooner or later CCP will come back to it. It will be glorious. I want, I like it, I will enjoy it.

Stop the hate and use your brain. You know what's better than a game that has ships? A game that has ships AND avatars. Since when does having more options and opportunities call for so much hate? Don't get me the "the devs should not spend their precious time on WiS and concentrate on ships instead" fallacy. The devs can do both and we can enjoy more options in our favourite game.

December 13, 2012 at 8:16 pm Reply
    1. Ming

Walking in stations is space jail. Literally.

December 13, 2012 at 8:58 pm Reply
    2. CareBearStares

(As Mino Noud said in his response. )
      Plus, I think Dust 514 is going to be how this is ultimately implemented. I predict that Dust 514 will come to PC with WIS included in it's launch.

December 13, 2012 at 9:28 pm Reply
      1. Ze Noob

didn't CCP say that dust was only gonna be on PS3 i think that EVE will get a small part of dust suits weapons etc etc but not the full dust due to CCP having an agreement with sony i would love to be able to walk up to a rival in station and blow him away ofc there will still need to be a safe zone like a market place or a corp zone or something but shops and in station ganks sound awesome although internet space ship should remain the main focous of EVE

December 14, 2012 at 7:47 am Reply
        1. reaper of souls

No safe zones … thats booring … i want to kill you in Jita 4-4 *Cackle*

December 14, 2012 at 11:29 am Reply
        2. CareBearStares

Actually, officially yeah. But there's several rumors that it may not be the final word on Dust's future.

December 14, 2012 at 3:53 pm Reply
        3. Eat Me

Use a fucking fullstop you grammar school dropout.

…………………………………………………

December 17, 2012 at 4:03 am Reply
        4. alpha-beta-crabcakes

it was a contract for exclusivety for a couple years, not for all eternity.

December 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm Reply
    3. Alx Warlord

OK, WiS is in the Path… But we still need some things with more importance…. that is the rebalance of all other ships… The Revamp of the POS and outpost system… Planetary ring minning… and the dust link…. then maybe the WiS….

December 13, 2012 at 9:30 pm Reply
    4. RubyPorto

"It will be glorious." [Citation Needed]

From all accounts, Team Avatar has stopped work on their space dungeon idea. The thing that WIS has always been missing is a purpose. What are you supposed to be able to do through WIS that you can't already do? Most of the answer's I've heard have been along the lines of "take this thing that you can already do and force you to do it via WIS, making it more of a pain" or "WIS will provide a social space," a phrase which doesn't actually mean anything.

So, What purpose do you see WIS fulfilling, and why can't that purpose be filled through existing game mechanics*?

*i.e. Gambling is already taken care of with ventures like EOH Poker, SOMER Blink, etc, who are unlikely to move from custom websites to some pre-formed WIS table that would require their customers to be in the right station to play.

December 13, 2012 at 11:24 pm Reply
      1. Yeah

"Purpose" – why are you looking for one in a game? You should be looking for "fun".

December 13, 2012 at 11:51 pm Reply
      2. Kicker

What you can do in WIS which you can't already do? I heard there could be able smugling drugs in your pocket or somethin like it, probably some hidden pocket etc. Owning your bar, casino, you can't do it in a ship. :D

December 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm Reply
    5. Gotterdammerung

Barbies in space is a waste of my time and energy (and my PC's). They better delete this completely.

December 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm Reply
    6. FreeWill

One day a bunch of pumped up mercenaries will come crashing through that door you thought served no purpose….

December 14, 2012 at 1:12 pm Reply
    7. Father Gabriel

dont hate the wis but wondering why captns quarter takes so much ressources. In other games like planetside two, there are a lot of houses and a lot of players on the same map sometimes in the same building and i have no problems ..but alone captns quarter takes so much ressources, its insane. ccp should change this first in order to gain the community for wis

December 14, 2012 at 9:42 pm Reply
  6. Tetsuko Yorimasa

Excellent retrospective.
    I am aggree with -A- FC Eve needs a major overhaul.

December 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm Reply
    1. erroch

I think we got the first step of that overhaul with Retribution. The Cruiser balancing has already started to change the fleets I'm seeing in 0.0. If they stay on track, and give us the POS revamp, fix null sec industry with it all while sorting the rest of the ships, we will see a very different game emerge.

Maybe, they'll fix T2 production as well. I'd love to see moon goo become a psuedo-active profession like mining is instead of a "collect isk every 10 days" one.

December 14, 2012 at 3:01 pm Reply
      1. Father Gabriel

its a skillpointnerf, the t1 ships are almost as strong as the t2, guess this is to bring some dust newbs into eve online with the help of 1337 t1 ships and a 0.0 that obeys to goons and test, long story short all the honey for the possible new customers fuck 0.0 if its all test goon the better for the new customers hail to eve online hail to the tranq chinese server

December 14, 2012 at 3:32 pm Reply
  7. Anonymous

I have been playing for over 8 years now. Can not believe I have played one single game this long.

December 13, 2012 at 8:30 pm Reply
  8. Anonymous

I started playing Eve when I was 29 years old and am now 37. In that time I got married, had two kids, changed jobs twice, bought a house, lost a lot hair, and grew a (small) beer belly. What a run!

December 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm Reply
    1. Dragon Shadowlaw

I bought the boxed game from Horton Plaza in San Diego while I was in the navy back in 2003. At the time, the only computer I had access to was the 5th Avenue movie theater. They had converted one of their theater rooms into a giant gaming center with projection monitors and at the time it was all cutting edge. They called it the E-Sports Arena. I installed eve and putted around in space for a whole day. I think I even shot the station like all noobs. One day. Then my ship went underway for a two week off the coast drill cruise. When we got back into port, the arena had closed down. : '(

It wasn't until 2008 that I got a personal PC and internet access that I installed eve again. I thought, I never got to explore this game, so I'll give it a go. Been flying ever since. But still that thought,…I could have been an 03 character. All the skills I could have by now. All the ISK, it all could have been mine. WHY!!!!!!!!!????

Timing is everything though I guess, and I probably wouldn't have had the same great experiences that I have had while playing. Maybe other great experiences, but not the ones I've had. So I guess it all worked out anyway : )

I can't for the life of me remember what name I used on the character when I played that one day in 2003. Probably still sitting in the database somewhere, lost and forgotten.

December 13, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reply
    2. Goonion

Most of my corp and a lot of my alliance started EvE in 2010 when we were at a different grade inn school and look how far we have come. In such a short amount of time we are pretty much in charge of everything in EvE. I feel sorry for you guys in othere alliances who even though have played for many years are still learning the basics.

December 13, 2012 at 11:29 pm Reply
      1. guy

this must be your first attempt at a troll… keep trying you'll get there eventually

December 13, 2012 at 11:41 pm Reply
      2. Goons R Wining

I started 2011. It's true, its amazing how much these guys who are boasting that they have been playing for 8 years have played for so long but yet failed so badly. I only log on once every couple of weeks and look at how much we win while all the other alliances are a joke….

December 13, 2012 at 11:51 pm Reply
      3. Always laughahaha

The great thing about goonswarm is that whenever someone decides they want to win eve, all they have to do is join up! Simple as that.

December 14, 2012 at 12:34 am Reply
      4. isupportthismessage

Troll

December 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm Reply
    3. Random Miner

and I'm sure it started with "this game sucks, i'm gonna stop playing it in a few days"

December 14, 2012 at 12:47 am Reply
  9. DoitCCP!

This iteration of EvE won't last another ten years, EvE II however….

December 13, 2012 at 9:18 pm Reply
  10. Goonion

Duno why you guys are against moon goo. Everyone in goons wants CCP to iincrease it.
    You guys dont need it anyway, you spend much more time online while we spend much more time doing other important thngs because we have a life. But EvE should provide for all player types, so you have space that you need to rat 24 hours a day cos you like it and we should have SRP titans cos it fits our play style. CC fully agrees with us, thats why they have said they wont nerf tech.

December 13, 2012 at 11:20 pm Reply
    1. 0.0 Grunt

Personally, I just hope I'm here long enough to watch the Goonswarm Federation burn to the ground. That in itself would add another 10 years to the game.

December 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm Reply
    2. isupportthismessage

You mad bro?

December 25, 2012 at 2:40 pm Reply
  11. Random Miner

Was gonna say nice little article, but since it appears the comments have morphed into goon hating….. goonies suck, so on and so forth

December 14, 2012 at 12:50 am Reply
    1. Father Gabriel

Why hating goons test .. because they and their peds blued the WHOOLE DAMN 0.0 ? Why hating goontest .. and their slaves? This was not the sense of the game, that all are blue to each other…

in the past i thought .. how stupid must be this chinese to live blue to each other in 0.0, this will never happen to us on tranq server, i was wrong, welcome to china. Thx ccp that you manipulate the game with your pl puppets and that you make patches to nerf skillpoints and push test noobs with imba t1 ships go on, im rather sure eve wont survive this for long.

December 14, 2012 at 1:48 am Reply
      1. Random Miner

yeah thats what i was talking about

December 14, 2012 at 2:25 am Reply
  12. yaaaaay

Best idea ever…. once somone takes over all of null.. RESET THE SERVER.. GOOD LUCK BROS

December 14, 2012 at 2:28 am Reply
    1. Father Gabriel

ah or be goon test slave, easy job and keep on playing the boring game, make isk .. but for what? Buy ships .. expensive ships .. senseless game without a functional 0.0

December 14, 2012 at 2:57 am Reply
  13. Jollygoodfun

Null sec has changed alot.

Cept for good old dependable Providence, I expected that to atleast get mentioned in this article too.

December 14, 2012 at 4:39 am Reply
  14. Blipp

I will only state one thing, or two actually, EvE Onlines future stand and falls depending on if they can solve the boring 0.0 sov and blob mechanics AND reinforce small/medium scale PvP..

December 14, 2012 at 7:25 am Reply
  15. Observer

There are a few things that are making EVE nearly unplayable for players, that actually give EVE the most meaningful content – the haters, the arrogant ones, the killers, the controversial dudes… simply those who are hated by carebears.

Eve has really given carebears conditions for carebears from CFC and HBC to fight their enemies effectively – easily defendable space, preference of blob vs tactics, T1 ships 80% effective like T2 ships and other features supporting blobism and stupidity in F1 freakshow.
    In this meaning, EVE is like a reality show: producers already learned not to listen to majority in choice which participant should leave, because the stupid majority picks always the controversial one, leaving in game only average, boring individuals who are missing any significant mark in character profile. CCP needs to take this lesson too; beacuse what is left in nullsec: TEST and Goons – average, incompetent people who have no personal names and achievements, who are replacing personality with alliance tickers.

December 14, 2012 at 12:51 pm Reply
  16. OldBitterVet

Haters gonna gate. When they showed WiS at FF08 it was cool, the idea of having shops, bars, etc, the bars even had mini-games like chess, a settlers of catan type game, WITH BETTING, alliance/corp meeting halls, and other things to do other than spinning your ship in station.

Add in the possibility of having characters with DUST-like skills to do 'space dungeons' like exploring wrecks or abandoned space stations and there is a wealth of content waiting to be exploited here by players and by CCP.

The problem is the player pushback shoved them out of working on it due to the captains quarters debacle. They need to get back on the horse and finish it.

December 14, 2012 at 2:15 pm Reply
  17. hmm

"I started playing EVE back in 2008" – So how did you enjoy the past 10 years?

December 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm Reply
  18. notsosure

PersonallY i think eve is in serious decline, its just the same ol vet players, just recycled. Now getting like the chinese server where only a few blocs rule the whole of eve. Ill give it 3 years max left.

December 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm Reply
  19. pochaco

CCP is EEEVIIIIL

December 14, 2012 at 4:33 pm Reply
    1. Father Gabriel

CCP stinks, manipulates the game with pl, gives them isk and uses them to change the 0.0 as they wish. Without pl fcs test would have died, back to your sentence. Yes ccp is evil introding into the game, manipulationg the game to get a chinese tranq server for a warm welcome of our new dust players who will try eve online and will meet a test goon universe, where they get a big big welcome.
      But if the kiddies do not play dust, the calculation of ccp will be wrong and a lot of so called older players will say fu ccp you gave us a blue 0.0 time to go out of this boring blue desert. ccp suxxx atm

December 14, 2012 at 6:23 pm Reply
  20. point here

i see another "players have to much isk" thing here. how to fix that? simple- remove plex. most the isk is made from that and the other half is people taking advantage of a bug ingame.

i see lots of people calling blob on other still. i find it amusing. EVERYBODY does it. get over it.
    at least my alliance knows its a solar pet. most the cfc coalition "everybody is equal" and the hbc coalition "everybody is equal" are in denial. "everybody equal" is NOT.

December 14, 2012 at 8:38 pm Reply
    1. Smiling Joe

Removing PLEX, every time I see it is ignorance at it's finest. PLEX doesn't bring isk into the game, it just causes isk to change hands in the game. It allows those who can't afford 10 accounts a month to support 10 accounts a month, allowing for toons that can afford to specialize. Creating toons that can compete faster.

December 14, 2012 at 9:18 pm Reply
  21. Marduk

Look idiots! Check this out, if goons are so bad for eve and they really needed to be cleansed from the eve universe then why don't you get off your collective asses and do it?

I am not a goon/ test/hbc member but if I was I would look at the rest of EVE like they are TARDED!

You don't back your ally's, you lie cheat and steal and when the sand box can't be controlled by RMTing titans you cry!

HTFU and form a mega coalition and start your holy war! It's a fucking sand box remember!

December 16, 2012 at 7:50 pm Reply
    1. Father Gabriel

then why, because they are to strong .. look at the map .. test, goon and pets are the whole .. i repead the whole 0.0 this is the new empire, where carebear dreams come true. This is the place where any other force will be blobbed with the biggest blobb in the history of this game.

The 0.0 is broken … face it, sad true (whole 0.0 blue). and its not a sandbox if ccp gives one pro goons test patch after another (overpowered t1 ships for instance) pl is the bitch of ccp .. protecting test with fcs .. test would have died without pl fcs .. and pl got payed from ccp, remember this gm who supported pl .. . The plan of ccp is to get some players from dust to eve online .. but this will not work, because dust is fail .. there are a lot of other shooters which are way better than the wanabe shooter of ccp … . Lets see, what happens in the next months ;)

December 17, 2012 at 12:04 am Reply
  22. that guy

All the people who flipped hit during the wis thing shouldn't be so proud of yourselves. Guaranteed wis would have brought new content and new players to eve online. I've been playing since 2005 and have watched the players piss and moan their way into the issues eve has today.not sure about any of you, but i hope to still be playing eve online ten years from now.

Need proof of an avatars importance? Check out the support for star citizen. The game its two years away and it already has people paying for it and supporting it. That number is half of eves accounts and we all know half of eves sub is ALTs.

December 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm Reply
  23. AngelRaper

why let some 2008 noob write about the history of EVE?

December 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm Reply