Comments

[email protected]/directorbot: My people, I have greivous news. Vile Rat has been confirmed to be KIA in Benghazi; his family has been informed and the news is likely to break out on the wire services soon. Needless to say, we are in shock, have no words, and have nothing but sympathy for his family and children. I have known Vile Rat since 2006, he was one of the oldest of old-guard goons and one of the best and most effective diplomats this game has ever seen.

His family are in our thoughts and prayers.

*** This was a broadcast from the_mittani to all-all, replies are not monitored ***

Eurogamer reports:

The US official killed during a US consulate attack in the Libyan city of Benghazi was Sean Smith, otherwise known Eve Online player Vile Rat – director of the notorious Goonswarm alliance and former member of the player-elected Council of Stellar Management.
BBC News reported that armed militiamen raided the compound with grenades and then set it on fire. They had been protesting about a US-produced film they claimed insulted the Prophet Mohammed. One other American was injured.

The Guardian explains the nature of the attack:

“One American staff member has died and a number have been injured in the clashes,”

Abdel-Monem Al-Hurr, spokesman for Libya’s supreme security committee, said, adding that he did not know the exact number of injured.

Gunmen attacked the compound in the eastern city on Tuesday evening, clashing with Libyan security forces before the latter withdrew as they came under heavy fire. Reuters reporters on the scene saw looters raiding the compound, walking off with desks, chairs and washing machines. A security official said a fire was burning inside the consulate and that staff had been evacuated. Three injured members of the Libyan security forces taken away in an ambulance.

The gunmen formed part of a group protesting against a US film they say is blasphemous.

The incident followed a protest in Egypt where demonstrators scaled the walls of the US embassy, tore down the American flag and burned it during a protest over the same film, which attacks Islam’s prophet, Muhammad.

The film, clips of which are available on YouTube, depicts Muhammad as a fraud, showing him having sex and calling for massacres. Muslims find it offensive to depict Muhammad in any fashion, much less in an insulting way.

On behalf of the entire EN24 staff: R.I.P Sean “VR” Smith and we wish his family our deepest condolences.

- R

1. seph

this is a game you tard trollpz, everything here is nothing, of little consequence, its all fantasy and fun

You are realy in the game a bit too much to understand any of this, that regardless of the characters we play in the game, we are all generally good people. Outside this game, are some very evil people, they killed him.

September 13, 2012 at 2:40 am Reply
    1. trollopz

Please you think i actually play pretend internet spaceship game, the 27th most popular MMO in the solar system. EVE is now 2 spots behind Myst online and that still as of yet unnamed MMO about cats…. Hell no. I collect Hummel figurines and make paper mache hats with my older brother Seth. Your all a bunch of fag-o nut jobs I doubt one of you has ever even seen the inside of a Chik-file-a unless you went there for a kiss in date with your fellow Goonshit members.

September 13, 2012 at 4:07 am Reply
  2. seph

This was a tragedy and a horrible event, it hits home to know it happened to someone who I talked to, thought of as a permanent fixture in the game gone just like that.

September 13, 2012 at 2:50 am Reply
  3. seph

Vile rat, a real American hero.

He will never die as long as he is in our hearts.

September 13, 2012 at 3:35 am Reply
    1. HappyElevenSeptember

99% of u will forget him in a week. o7

September 13, 2012 at 7:04 am Reply
  4. Cannonball1

My condolences to his family. Despite our differences in-game, I think all EvE players can agree that it is sad for any EvE member to pass away. May he rest in peace. He was a true American hero.

September 13, 2012 at 3:39 am Reply
  5. Tman

Today I am truly saddened by some of the responses on this post. Shame on you for your heartless and awful posts. Let's hope you never find yourself in a postion simular to Vile Rat. I did not know this individual. I am a leader within TMA and I will tell you that I want Vile's Family to know I thank him for his service to be willing to put himself in harm's way knowing that he could be killed in the service of the United States of America Citizens for your protection, to protect your ability to make the horrible comments that you have made. You that call yourselves Christians posting the ugliness and spewing hate and nastiness, I pitty you for you are so confused. GOD loves all people hates the sin. He is willing to forgive anyone of anything, and I, if I were you take advantage of it right now, before you find yourself in a simular postion. Thank GOD you will not be sitting in judgement. I hope you are not spewed from his mouth screaming but did I not post this in your name and him say I knew you not. Thank you Vile Rat you have my sympathy and my respect, for you served with honor may you now find peace. Oh, and eve is just a game after all.

September 13, 2012 at 4:10 am Reply
  6. Iamchucknorris

Vile Rat, rest in peace. Even though every 8 seconds someone died out of the 6+ billion people in this world it still surprise me how Vile rat died. It's funny and sad that religious people can be so hurt over a film….. Kind of sad. Butt hurt religious cunts killed Vile Rat, may his soul rest in peace

September 13, 2012 at 4:31 am Reply
  7. hnggggggggh

You're a fucking shitcunt, I hope your family burns in front of you

September 13, 2012 at 4:31 am Reply
    1. Renan Ruivo

You know, that "indy" guy was really out of line. But so are you.

September 13, 2012 at 4:52 am Reply
  8. HappyElevenSeptember

This guy took beeing podded too serious. Now RIP

September 13, 2012 at 4:54 am Reply
  9. HappyElevenSeptember

Well u fucking tards just dont keep out from other countries?

September 13, 2012 at 5:07 am Reply
  10. el_mister

my condolancies go out to all his family and friends. Even tho he was a goon and is on oposing sides to lose a gamer and a person that is doing a job overseas my hat go off to them. the game and i will be miss his game play.

sleep well fly safe to all

September 13, 2012 at 5:07 am Reply
  11. NC. Spartan

Thoughts an prayers are with his family and friends. Such a tragic loss. RIP

September 13, 2012 at 5:10 am Reply
  12. Qwerty4812

o7 Best wishes to your family

RIP

September 13, 2012 at 5:42 am Reply
  13. HappyElevenSeptember

You forgot to upgrade your clone right?

September 13, 2012 at 7:28 am Reply
  14. alex

you, my friend, have gone full retard!

September 13, 2012 at 7:32 am Reply
  15. some dude

yeah i'm not going to dignify this shit with a response, l0l arguing with trailer trash

September 13, 2012 at 7:54 am Reply
    1. Joker

And yet you dignified him with a respone… Fail

September 13, 2012 at 9:07 am Reply
  16. aaa

trash

September 13, 2012 at 7:59 am Reply
  17. DevilDog

Wow over a video game you are happy that his kids no longer have a father, his wife no longer has a husband, and his parents no longer have a son. You a the biggest piece of shit and I read half a sentence you wrote. Have some fucking respect.

September 13, 2012 at 8:32 am Reply
  18. DevilDog

Not sure why this guy has so many down votes couldnt agree more

September 13, 2012 at 8:46 am Reply
  19. DevilDog

would you?

September 13, 2012 at 8:48 am Reply
  20. Not really, but i wouldnt expectany less from Goons.. Again it just shows that goons are terrible ppl and they deserve to be hated:)

September 13, 2012 at 8:49 am Reply
    1. -A- Grunt

Go fuck yourself you useless cunt.

September 15, 2012 at 3:55 am Reply
  21. DevilDog

Firstly, I am glad to see the vast majority of people posting on here are mature and sensible enough to separate the game from real life. Vile Rat served his country just as many of us have and unfortunately paid the ultimate price. On behalf of all veterans and real Americans we thank Vile Rat for his service and continue to pray for his family.

Secondly it is saddening to know that there are people in the world regardless of where you are from that you seem to poke fun at the death of a human being because the alliance he was a part of made you cry. It is a game we play, a fucking game and you can't even understand the difference. I can not understand the piece of shit of a person who posts jokes and "one goon less" or "dead goon best goon". To those who are pieces of shit and posting shit like the above I hope you lose a family member and I hope some comes up to you and says "WOOOOOOT!!! glad that person is dead.

September 13, 2012 at 8:51 am Reply
  22. ;((((

[youtube 8KS-UswccMU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KS-UswccMU youtube]

September 13, 2012 at 9:09 am Reply
  23. Zor

If Riverini will not moderate the worst trolls maybe those from the Eve community that find these postings revolting should contact the sponsors of this page to inform the companies advertising on this site that you find their sponsoring of a site that obviously supports the mocking of people falling in service for their country utterly condemnable and you will make an issue of spreading the words in all social media like facebook, twitter etc wich companies you mean.

September 13, 2012 at 9:10 am Reply
  24. CONFRIMIGN

R.P.I VILES RAT. WE WILL BE MISSIGN YO BROTHRE.

September 13, 2012 at 9:16 am Reply
    1. Jon

You could have broken roleplay to say something serious for once. I may be alone here but I always see your comments as a joke and therefore this one seems like a joke. I'm sure it's not what you meant but just saying.

September 13, 2012 at 9:59 am Reply
  25. Toxic_Troll

better yet, i know the gurgling sound you will make in hell when you meet the devil… 8===) really sick and sad ppl like sean fought to help preserve freedom of speach so cocksuckers like you can abuse it.

September 13, 2012 at 9:39 am Reply
    1. sindarial

"really sick and sad ppl like sean"

Toxic troll ;((((((

September 13, 2012 at 10:01 am Reply
      1. Jon

I think he could have used a comma. Don't think he meant it the way it's worded.

September 13, 2012 at 10:05 am Reply
  26. Urziel99

There are some things even Mittens won't troll over. The death of a friend is one of them. Thanks for showing you are worse than he ever could be.

September 13, 2012 at 10:03 am Reply
  27. LOL.

i'm pretty sure that he knew about the risk of where he was.
    this is what happens in real war: people die.

now you can agree or disagree with who he was in game, and you can
    agree or disagree with who he was out of game. to every war each side has their own truth.

But when you post such angry shit like some of you do in here, put your finger on your own nose,
    what have you done to make the world a better place? When have you risked your life for doing
    what you see as being the right thing?

my condolences to those who suffer the loss of a friend or family member,
    it's never easy to lose someone you care about.

September 13, 2012 at 10:05 am Reply
  28. lol

On a scale of 10, I give that a 9 out of 11.

September 13, 2012 at 10:13 am Reply
  29. The Kadeshi

brave keyboard warrier not suplying his name so these "war mongering american's" can pay him a visit. he is obviously a school child as his mentality is locked at being 12.

September 13, 2012 at 10:47 am Reply
  30. trol is as trol doh

really — im glad you think his wife and children deserve that comment — well done I bet your patting yourself on the back.

September 13, 2012 at 11:10 am Reply
  31. trol is as trol doh

poor taste dood

September 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm Reply
  32. trol is as trol doh

Hope your remembered in a better light than this post implies.

September 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm Reply
  33. trol is as trol doh

unfortunately there are pics and video — so api verification not required, RIP

September 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm Reply
  34. Maturity

I am not a Goon. I fight against them in-game. However, this goes well beyond the scope of the game. No one deserves to die from such a cowardly act. This man's family and friends are suffering right now and they have my deepest sympathies. Any Goon that I encounter in-game will get a hug from me during this difficult time.

September 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reply
  35. BAMbam

Poor education and religon don't mix well but all too frequent.

Senseless acts of savagery that propagate further violence. Narrowminded fuckers

September 13, 2012 at 1:37 pm Reply
  36. BAMbam

Dont be a dick. All your doing is acting in a way your critizing others for. If you ever grew up without a parent you would know how damaging psychologically it can be.

Your just acting like a narrowminded asshat. Real life is way more important than a fucking game.

My condolences to his family and hope he's having fun in the big drake in the sky

September 13, 2012 at 1:57 pm Reply
  37. Oppons

Just because some goon scrubs were dicks doesn't justify that tone in this thread. Show some respect

September 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm Reply
    1. Bob

I thought this post was bad too then I saw some of the others further down. For what little dignity is left can we get a mod to clear the crap out of this thread? RIP VR you will be missed

September 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm Reply
    2. suspect bystander

Why show some respect to people who dont show it to others?

September 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm Reply
      1. Trolling this?

Because (if you knew what the fuck you were talking about, this post wouldnt be needed) Vile Rat was actually responsible for kicking the Goon responsible for the trolling of the BoB member who passed. This Goon was later let back in by the then boss of Goonswarm due to BoB declaring war despite the guy being kicked as he thought "fuck it, whats done is done".

Yes, VR, the MOST INFLUENTIAL DIPLO EVER within Eve actually didnt agree with the shit people keep dragging up as a reason to troll this post. He died for his country, and did more for this shitty game we all love / hate than everyone posting here combined. Blaming ONE person for the antics of a MASSIVE coalition is beyond moronic, and ironically enough how the situation arose for VR's murder, along with three other countrymen.

Riv – if you have even an ounce of decency in your black, heartless soul you would clear the trash from all of the sub human sperglords who feel we need to be told countless times that karma is a bitch.

RIP Vile Rat.

September 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm Reply
  38. trol is as trol doh

I feel so sorry for you. I definately think you professional help.

September 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm Reply
  39. Thodoros

I am one of the many that had fly alongside VR and share afew words with him.
    I cannot say that i knew the person but he sounded as a very nice guy imo.
    My condolences go to all his friends and family and everyone else that knew him.
    I am sorry for your loss.

September 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm Reply
  40. Bob

You know what, this troll actually sounds mad that VRs gone – now he'll have to find someone else to hate

September 13, 2012 at 2:51 pm Reply
    1. trollopz

I dont even play this game i collect Hummels and make paper mache hats. I read the story about them tormenting a depressive on Massively the rest is guild by ASSociation.

September 13, 2012 at 5:42 pm Reply
      1. Urziel99

Well then I guess you know what happens when you ASSume. The sword cuts both ways, try not to bleed to death will you?

September 15, 2012 at 7:05 pm Reply
  41. CareBearStares

o7 VR
    I never got a chance to fly with you.

September 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm Reply
  42. Smoske

I wonder if goons would ever do a write up on someone other than themselves that is so nice.

September 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm Reply
    1. LOL.

love the irony.

September 14, 2012 at 9:41 am Reply
  43. Manks Girl

RIP VileRat – Gone but never forgotten.

To all the fucking trolls on this site, I hope fate finds you quickly before the rest of us!

September 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm Reply
    1. Radakos

ought7 RIP Vile Rat

September 17, 2012 at 1:12 am Reply
  44. ParentControl

why do you think this is a scam?

September 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm Reply
  45. RDN-Khorum

We as a 'community' sometimes forget that on the other sides of the keyboards are real people. They aren't pirates, they aren't assholes, they aren't our real 'enemy'. Whilst I've enjoyed fighting the big bad goonies in the game the reality is that they are doctors, lawyers, family people, college kids… Real People.

In the case of VR – he was a patriot, a family man, and gave his life in the course of his duty. I hope his family finds peace and that we appreciate him for who he was outside of the game. I for one am really stung by this regardless of his 'internet spaceship' colors.

RIP

September 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm Reply
  46. ex-CFC

400-something posts, so maybe someone else mentioned this, but maybe a permanent in-game memorial in Jita or somewhere is in order?

September 13, 2012 at 4:53 pm Reply
    1. HappyElevenSeptember

my dog died a week ago, can we also put a permanent in-game memorial in Jita for him?

September 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm Reply
      1. Urziel99

was your dog a major player in the game, a member of the CSM, and killed while serving his country? No, I didn't think so.

That said I'd endorse a memorial for all the players we've lost to tragic circumstances over the years.

September 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm Reply
  47. droljica

And point of this onesided drunkerini article is what , all muslims are bad , killem ??!

September 13, 2012 at 8:41 pm Reply
  48. Concerned

My condolences to the family. However, one has to question why a U.S. overseas diplomat is discussing intel over non-secure lines to people that have no need to know. I would hope an investigation into this will help prevent further lapses of judgement from any other government employee.

I will be asking my congress member about it.

September 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm Reply
    1. <3

Vital information such as "Gunfire", besides I doubt the sand people have the technology to intercept such connections.

September 15, 2012 at 7:31 am Reply
  49. vile rat

Hey guys. Guess what? I DIED IN A FIRE.

Funny as hell, huh?

September 14, 2012 at 6:37 am Reply
  50. Nashau

RIP Fellow pilot – I have dedicated my mad world eve song to Seab 'Vile Rat' Smith…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr48kZwR07E&sn… fly safe dear friend o7

September 14, 2012 at 9:13 am Reply