Comments

[email protected]/directorbot: My people, I have greivous news. Vile Rat has been confirmed to be KIA in Benghazi; his family has been informed and the news is likely to break out on the wire services soon. Needless to say, we are in shock, have no words, and have nothing but sympathy for his family and children. I have known Vile Rat since 2006, he was one of the oldest of old-guard goons and one of the best and most effective diplomats this game has ever seen.

His family are in our thoughts and prayers.

*** This was a broadcast from the_mittani to all-all, replies are not monitored ***

Eurogamer reports:

The US official killed during a US consulate attack in the Libyan city of Benghazi was Sean Smith, otherwise known Eve Online player Vile Rat – director of the notorious Goonswarm alliance and former member of the player-elected Council of Stellar Management.
BBC News reported that armed militiamen raided the compound with grenades and then set it on fire. They had been protesting about a US-produced film they claimed insulted the Prophet Mohammed. One other American was injured.

The Guardian explains the nature of the attack:

“One American staff member has died and a number have been injured in the clashes,”

Abdel-Monem Al-Hurr, spokesman for Libya’s supreme security committee, said, adding that he did not know the exact number of injured.

Gunmen attacked the compound in the eastern city on Tuesday evening, clashing with Libyan security forces before the latter withdrew as they came under heavy fire. Reuters reporters on the scene saw looters raiding the compound, walking off with desks, chairs and washing machines. A security official said a fire was burning inside the consulate and that staff had been evacuated. Three injured members of the Libyan security forces taken away in an ambulance.

The gunmen formed part of a group protesting against a US film they say is blasphemous.

The incident followed a protest in Egypt where demonstrators scaled the walls of the US embassy, tore down the American flag and burned it during a protest over the same film, which attacks Islam’s prophet, Muhammad.

The film, clips of which are available on YouTube, depicts Muhammad as a fraud, showing him having sex and calling for massacres. Muslims find it offensive to depict Muhammad in any fashion, much less in an insulting way.

On behalf of the entire EN24 staff: R.I.P Sean “VR” Smith and we wish his family our deepest condolences.

– R

1. Flying spaceships

R.I.P Vile.

September 12, 2012 at 11:19 am Reply
  2. jay

New Eden may be one big universe, but this shows how fragile and small our planet is we live on.

Your legacy will live on, rest in peace my brother.

J

September 12, 2012 at 11:20 am Reply
  3. SpaceBro

Go kill yourself.

September 12, 2012 at 11:21 am Reply
    1. jita trader

u prolly never lost any family members in ur life yet..

September 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm Reply
    2. M1k3y

This kind of comment lowers yourself to his level.
      Don't let him win.

September 12, 2012 at 11:16 pm Reply
  4. Bobmon

Rest In Peace my fellow Eve player

September 12, 2012 at 11:24 am Reply
  5. Jackk o'neil

Rip :(

September 12, 2012 at 11:26 am Reply
  6. HBC Bruiser

Every jumpbridge in CFC and HBC space has been renamed to honour this man. Stations are following suit. That is literally hundreds of homages… and I have to say, I find it touching.
    Eve is real, but this is the first time that phrase leaves such a bitter taste in my mouth.

September 12, 2012 at 11:29 am Reply
    1. TEST Logi Grunt

As of right now every single Dreddit station has been renamed.

September 12, 2012 at 11:47 am Reply
      1. CFC With Intellect

AIF stations have also been renamed..

September 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm Reply
        1. Feiryred

FA stations renamed-such a sad day :(

September 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm Reply
          1. NullSecNoob

Outpost – K-8SQS VI – Moon 2 – o7 Vile Rat – May You Find Peace

God Speed Sean.

September 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm
    2. DevilDog

Against All Anomalies station in LEM-I1 has been renamed

September 13, 2012 at 8:45 am Reply
  7. Eve player

R.I.P. Vile..

CCP put Vile rat name to a one of the new ships.. in memorial

September 12, 2012 at 11:30 am Reply
  8. Yes, the US Ambassador also died along three other staff members which included Sean Smith.

September 12, 2012 at 11:30 am Reply
    1. Whitescar

Damn sorry to hear about that, I hate goons as much as anyone but not that much sorry for there lose and the guys family :(

September 12, 2012 at 11:33 am Reply
  9. Y R

Shame on you sir

September 12, 2012 at 11:33 am Reply
  10. taffelmester

How terrible. There's not much to say but his family has my deepest sympathy.

-NCdot member

September 12, 2012 at 11:37 am Reply
  11. pew pew

isnt islam wonderful. r.i.p.

September 12, 2012 at 11:38 am Reply
  12. Hey, buddy. Hey.

Fuck you.

September 12, 2012 at 11:38 am Reply
  13. Renill

Crazy to think its that small of a world, with such a powerful individual in the same location that would call for such a sacrifice to be made… Well, I may be new to the game, RIP friend

September 12, 2012 at 11:40 am Reply
  14. Even if you are the worst enemy, this is a game dude, and he was an actual guy who died by a coward terrorist attack. Show some respect, you damn bastard.

September 12, 2012 at 11:40 am Reply
  15. Ewoks pilot

My condolences to the family and children.

September 12, 2012 at 11:41 am Reply
  16. idiot

kinda sad that you have to joke about someone dying… but i guess your some fat nerd troll…

September 12, 2012 at 11:47 am Reply
    1. RIP Greiving Player

Some people use humor or jokes to deal with a loss, and from some of the shitty posts I've seen this doesn't compare to those. But people should still use disgression.

September 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm Reply
      1. suspect bystander

oh you mean the amount of niceness goons have shown in the past to other dead players ?

expect some vented anger

September 12, 2012 at 4:06 pm Reply
  17. human been

i hope your children and the people you the love most goes with him because you fucking suck

September 12, 2012 at 11:47 am Reply
  18. Shadow Lightbringer

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.

September 12, 2012 at 11:56 am Reply
  19. Nacona

Goon or not, a fellow Eve player has fallen… RIP Vile Rat, and thank you for all you have contributed to our internet spaceship family over the years :(

September 12, 2012 at 11:58 am Reply
  20. BobFromMarketing

Enjoy continuing to be unable to separate video games and real life you subhuman fucking scum.

Riverini here is the video SMA did in Tribute to VR

[youtube UFG-q1bHJH0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFG-q1bHJH0 youtube]

September 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reply
  21. Lugalbandak

yeah said he died , r.i.p. ,good luck family

rent need to be paid so respect for his job , i wouldnt risk my life for a few bucks for a shitty goverments. killing other peeps for peace , hope for the others, western world will pull the soldiers back to home and leave those ppl alone.

politicians should fight the wars trough eve lol

September 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reply
  22. So sad…. even if he have made enemies whitin EVE, it stil just a computer game… nothing more and nothing less, life's is there for those to grab it, hope that vile rat have lived his life as he wanted before going to the other side, my thoughts are whit his children… hope they manage to grow up whit out daddy…. :( RIP vile rat

September 12, 2012 at 12:03 pm Reply
  23. lifeofzenith

I never knew him, nor will I now…

Still… a fellow capsuleer has logged out for the last time.

May he be at a better place now. RIP

September 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm Reply
  24. KKnight

Rest in peace and I wish that his family fares well in the times to come.

September 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm Reply
  25. tres

don't blame muslims! this could happen anywhere!

September 12, 2012 at 12:05 pm Reply
    1. Rip bro

It could. But at nowhere near the same frequency. Religious people are less intelligent, it's a known fact. Fanatic muslims are fucktards in my book, and no soft hippie is going to make me think otherwise. Fuck em.

Rip vr.

September 12, 2012 at 12:16 pm Reply
      1. I agree Planck, Von Brown, Einstein and Von Newman are perfect examples of these less intelligent religious people.

Also the Soviets and the Chinese (both atheists) were known to be both wonderful and peace loving people.

September 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm Reply
        1. GS since '03

As einstein said, I physics is the how. Why cant religion be the why. Religion doesnt make you stupid, it might make you fanatic. As American foodball makes you or soccer. Fanatism is the problem here, not religion.

September 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm Reply
        2. Pip

uhm.. Einstein was not very religious. He believed in the god of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic, and criticized positive atheism, preferring he said "an attitude of humility."

Also, Rest in Peace Vile Rat, fly safe!

September 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm Reply
      2. nulab

As many right wing extreme christians as muslims, just look at the American neocons for example.

Still fucked up that an innocent gets caught in the middle of BS world politics

RIP Vile

September 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm Reply
      3. idiots

Dude american are more stupid than any religious faction anywhwhere.

open ur eyes,

September 15, 2012 at 7:28 pm Reply
    2. jhgfd

Really, anywhere? Not many groups protest a shit film with hand grenades and machine guns. I'm not a muslim but I was born in one of the World's largest Muslim countries I don't hold any particular bias for or against, but lets please not pretend that mass violent protests about books, drawings, films or speeches isn't predominately the purview of Islamic loons. It's disingenuous and wrong.

September 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm Reply
      1. There are plenty of examples where u can see how Muslim world reacts when somebody insults their religion. I can recall case when some Israelian girl draw Mukhamed as a pig. Muslims sent nearly half of Israel to paradise right after that. I'm sure people in US are also aware about muslims and their behavior. All I say that THIS could be avoided. They act like that and nobody can do jack shit about it, but at least people can stop provoking them. Thats about it. People that made that video have same level of guilt as those who reacted that way.

September 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm Reply
        1. As for Vile, I'm really sorry. Shame young people die. R.I.P mate.

September 12, 2012 at 1:00 pm Reply
        2. jhgfd

It's not the 'Muslim World' it's a subsection of it the rest are too scared to call out. Also the line about the guy making the video is as much to blame as those who did this is nonsense.

September 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm Reply
          1. Anonymous

Agreed. The only people to blame are the ones who actually did it. No one can MAKE someone else do something. Blaming someone else for your own actions is a lack of self-control on your part.

September 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm
        3. Manks Girl

It is incredible that they react this way when someone insults their religion yet they constantly bash any other religion and burn the American/English flag and we don't go around killing them here. There is no excuse in killing other innocent people to exact revenge for what someone else did.

I think the only answer to the "Muslim Question" is to wipe them off the map and end this hateful relic of a religion!

September 13, 2012 at 4:35 pm Reply
    3. Slave

Plex drive for this guy please!

September 17, 2012 at 12:54 am Reply
  26. Bunkum

You really hate someone because of a video game? Seriously?

September 12, 2012 at 12:07 pm Reply
    1. karma

no, we hate him cuz he did this to others before

September 12, 2012 at 9:29 pm Reply
      1. DevilDog

He killed people before? Like in real life? Get your head out of your ass and learn to separate a fucking video game from real life.

September 13, 2012 at 8:31 am Reply
  27. Moonman777

alot of us have our feelings about Goon's and the way they play this game.. but its a GAME !!! the news is horrible. my thought's go out to the family and people that knew him.. i pray that no more will fall needlessly as he did..

September 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm Reply
  28. Apollo A

R.I.P Vile Rat

September 12, 2012 at 12:09 pm Reply
  29. lifeofzenith

I never knew him, nor will I now…

One fellow capsuleer logged out for the last time…

May he fly safe… RIP

As it turns out, he was not the only victim:

September 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm Reply
  30. dead= good drake

EVeryone trolling this post and saying its good that he has died should look long and hard at them self and grow the f*ck up its an Fucking game
    I didn't know him and don't think i played Eve during the time he did but sorry too heard he died and wish his family all the best

September 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm Reply
    1. A non goon

If hw werent a fucking goons then it would be the goons idots trolling the fuck out….

September 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm Reply
      1. dead= good drake

i think every troll should be remove from this website as its sick

September 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm Reply
        1. thatguy

I think your should read up on your EvE history and find out what happend when a capsuleers dad died and the goons decided that it was a perfect opeprtunity to troll.

September 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm Reply
  31. RvB guy

R.I.P. Vile Rat o7 ='(

September 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm Reply
  32. Does it fucking matter if he was in goons this fella's lost his life and a family has lost a husband / father etc.
    If you's seriously take eve this serious you's need to pull your heads outa your arses.

Didnt know the guy but RIP!

September 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm Reply
    1. thatguy

hey dude, is your asshole jealous ? EvE is not supposed to be seriuos business but the goons under the leadership of VR are in position to hate on the haters. If it was your father who's death the goons openly mocked, what would your responce be right now ?

September 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm Reply
      1. Bob

I would say RIP Vile as it is the only right thing to do

September 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm Reply
  33. ByeBye Goon

Hope he GF'd in local before they got him

September 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm Reply
  34. Kody Gloval

RIP

September 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm Reply
  35. thedude

stop being retarded and generalize :)

September 12, 2012 at 12:29 pm Reply
    1. uhhuh

61% of Egyptians approve of attacks on Americans

Poll after poll show otherwise ignorant clown. I'm not supporting genocide but I do believe the polls and Islam is entirely to blame for this backwardness. Women's rights alone makes this a religion a sickness on the modern world.

RIP Vilerat. I'd gut those ignorant backward animals that did this too you without a second thought.

September 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm Reply
      1. M1k3y

What sample group was surveyed, how many were surveyed, whats the margin of error, how biased was the poll, how was it phrased, and most of all, what about the other 40%?

September 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reply
  36. Whitescar

Does not mean we have to lower our selves to there level.

September 12, 2012 at 12:30 pm Reply
    1. I really hope not.

September 12, 2012 at 12:52 pm Reply
  37. -A- Grunt

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Sincere condolences to all who may have known him.

September 12, 2012 at 12:33 pm Reply
  38. Skyreth - RvB Member

I hate Goon as much as anyone, but thats in EVE. In the real world, that man's family has been hit with a crushing blow. As someone who as recently lost his own father, I know what Vile's children will/are thinking. My thoughts and prayers are with them and the rest of his family.

There isn't much I can do to honor Vile, but for now I can at least rename my Chimera.
    RIP VR. You'll be missed by many, and mourned by even more.

September 12, 2012 at 12:37 pm Reply
  39. anon

Not that I agree with the sentiments hating on the goons, but to be fair, at least there is no difference between the trolls in game hating because he was a goon in an imaginary space ship game and idiots believing in an imaginary figure that will give them four mules and a sheep when they die. At least its easy to spot people with great imaginations, right?

September 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm Reply
    1. ByeBye Goon

Four mules and a sheep? Are you retarded?

September 12, 2012 at 12:39 pm Reply
  40. The Kadeshi

RIP Vile

our condolences to both family and children.

September 12, 2012 at 12:39 pm Reply
  41. Shadowandlight

Very sad to see someone die to intolerance of free speech and lack of religious freedom. He was serving his country with honor in a position that is is inherently dangerous in a region that is rife with political and religious strife. Thank you Mr. Smith for serving this country. Lets hope that this awakens our politicians to provide better protection for our men and women serving overseas in their diplomatic capacity.

September 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm Reply
    1. MotherOfAnts

Should have left Qaddafi in power. You reap what you sov.

RIP

September 12, 2012 at 12:43 pm Reply
  42. Partsking

R.I.P space bro.

September 12, 2012 at 12:42 pm Reply
  43. Dragon Shadowlaw

Goon or not, he was an eve player. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Don't care who you fly with, noone deserves to lose their life like that. I read about the attack on usa today but had no idea it was connected with something that I was connected with as well. I'm truly saddened a fellow pilot has died for real and hope that somehow his family can find closure. Rest in peace my brother.

September 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm Reply
  44. RIP Vile

September 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm Reply
  45. Trancor

Rest in peace…… May your friends and family celebrate your life and honor you in your passing…. Some find it hard to separate this game and reality, and if you are one of those please show enough respect for human life as to not mock this mans death… Farewell Vile Rat…

September 12, 2012 at 12:47 pm Reply
  46. Drone_Russian

Rest In Peace, Vile – a great spy, a diplomat and pilot. :(

September 12, 2012 at 12:52 pm Reply
  47. Another great loss to the EvE Community- our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends in this sad time – EvE is a community where strangers can meet even for a short time virtually but can have a lasting effect – I never met this guy but I am sure he has influenced the game over the years and influenced many players- R.I.P. Vile Rat – malioness Co CEO for and on behalf of C.I.C.

September 12, 2012 at 12:56 pm Reply
  48. Sympathies

Shame he was in a shit allaince,but that aside for one moment,sympathies for his family.

September 12, 2012 at 12:58 pm Reply
  49. That doesn't mean u have to be fucktard of same level. If you don;t have to say something proper better shut the fuck up and crawl back under your stone.

Goons are my enemies since I play this game. But it's GAME, while I was happy poping vile in fleets, I feel sorry that he passed.

September 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm Reply
    1. thatguy

maybe if your where less of a retard and actualy acknowledged that fact that what the goons are asking form you is to be complacent whilst they mock you farthers death, you would not be such an asshole and to use your own words a fucktard

September 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm Reply
  50. Zumb

Because some random idiot who claims to be muslim (and btw never act as one) never jutify this kind of dumb response.
    Let's claim you are american, then who would you think, if i say all of you should die because one random gi killed 15 civilian in bagdad a couple of month ago?
    Stop being a stupid sheep, you are in no way better that the fuckers who killed him.

September 12, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reply
    1. Jita

Its never one idiot, not are these feeling some small minority view in Egypt. Islam is a sickness on the world just like the Christian Inquisition was at its height of irrationality. Excuse it all you like at your peril.

September 12, 2012 at 3:19 pm Reply
      1. waterpistolriot

religion is a scourge, the biggest mistake mankind ever made. it needs to be purged. i don't care if the godsa re called allah, jahve, shiva or whatever. religion is the single-most reason for grief and suffering in the entire history of our species.

R.I.P. Vile Rat. you will be dearly missed :(

September 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm Reply
    2. StopReligion

Somehow Muslims seem to have a lot of those "random idiots". Peace and loving religion my ass.

September 12, 2012 at 7:38 pm Reply