Comments

EDITOR’S NOTE: This one slipped through the cracks. Both Riverini and I were talking about posting it, but were sidetracked by some of the events of last week. Better late than never. We’ll try to post these updates in the future, as better communication from the CSM to the player base is something we want to promote.

Seriously, I need a CSM News logo. Anyone?

Hello again. The last week and change has been fairly busy so I’ll just list out some of the stuff that’s been going on.

First CSM Voice Meeting (14 April, 2012)

I used my amazingly awesome power as Chairman to call for our first ‘official’ meeting which we conducted this past Saturday. The meeting was very focused and lasted just over an hour. In between a few random deviations, the main topics we discussed were:

How is everyone settling in? Hi, my name is…

Future CSM ‘Town Hall Meeting’ format

Initial June Summit priorities (things we want specific meetings with the Devs about)

We came up with five, which we will refine and then list officially closer to summit time

Potential CSM White Paper changes

As the meeting closed, Two Step set up a ‘TitanPad’ account that allows everyone on the CSM to coordinate our communications and keep notes on important daily issues we want everyone to be aware of. It should also provide a way to help keep a record of our work as the term goes forward.

Three Big Questions

1.) It seems that the new marketing guy (CMO David Reid) actually *gets* EVE and no longer will you have a marketing dept wanting to highlight/develop EVE in a WoW-like manner to get the subscriptions rolling in; i.e., EVE is a hardcore game for hardcore gamers. What is your personal take on this guy and also on the marketing steer he is applying?

I have no idea if he knows the difference between a Brutix and a Hurricane, but he makes me want to play EVE. Before FanFest, all I had seen of the guy were a few videos about DUST where he seemed to be just yammering on and saying buzz word type stuff. When I saw him onstage at FanFest though… what can I say? The guy had an infectious energy about him that really surprised me. I like the style he seems to be throwing onto EVE’s marketing but it’s still too early to see how that is going to translate into what it means for the game’s overall image.

2.) What about Jon Lander (CCP Unifex / EVE Online Senior Producer)?  He comes across as immensely competent and approachable. I get the impression he wants future expansions to have large game play elements which showcase SPACESHIP development but he’ll also invest in the long term future of EVE too – revisiting the code base and improving it, one year on DX11 to have uber-details spaceships, etc… Is this impression accurate?

Jon Lander is a fucking boss, and not just in the internet meme sense of the words. I had very vague memories of him from right before I left the company a couple years (wow, that long??) ago but his appointment as Sr. Producer was a surprise for a few reasons. First of all, he’s not Icelandic. Even he acknowledges the import and significance of that fact. He comes from a previous professional background; he didn’t just grow up in CCP and get promoted because he was a cool bro. He actually plays the game. He’s active ~somewhere~ in null sec and he also understands industry and the economic underpinnings of EVE. What he is unsure about, he asks after with a focus that lets you know your words won’t be wasted. If you can catch him, he’s very easy to talk to and doesn’t mind answering questions. At the December CSM summit and again at FanFest, I got a chance to talk to him extensively and I’m really happy that this guy is leading the charge in EVE now.

3.) One of the important roles the CSM fills is filtered feedback to CCP from the players about their game, but are CSM members happy about the way they get feedback from the players? Are your Evemail inboxes considered a wasteland of unread messages? Do you want to hear about My Pet Idea for mining veldspar? Who do I complain to about the latest dev blog on ship balancing? Are you inclined to reply: “Make a thread in Jita Park about it” to half the inquiries you get? Are you satisfied with your current methodologies for guaging player reactions to EVE?

In terms of direct contact, I consider EVE Mail to be one of the best ways to contact ME about a particular issue. Sometimes it’s a simple HEY!! with a link to an idea somewhere. Other times it is deeper than that. I try to reply to most EVE Mails I get, especially those which are well presented and have a solid initiative behind them. As far as who to contact? There are thirteen of us and you might find more traction with someone who you feel is more familiar with your particular issue. However, if you’re not familiar with the particular members, myself or any of the elected Council ‘Officers’ are solid and will make sure concerns are passed on to the others.

On the Web

Hans Jagerblitzen wrote up a really good blog summarizing his point of view of his first week ‘on the job’. It’s well worth your time and covers a lot of ground for those interested in a bit more detail about what’s going on with us: Hans: WEEK ONE

Lost In EVE has done another ‘epic’ podcast, this one clocking in at nearly four hours. While always fun to listen to, around 31m in, Alekseyev Karrde shows up and talks for a while about ~everything~. Then, around 1h 46m, they got a hold of me (literally right after I woke up) and we did a lot of Q&A for nearly an hour. It’s a good show, so have a listen! Lost in Eve – Episode 73

Tactical Entertainment Network (TEN) has been working overtime to get in touch with and do voice interviews with all of the CSM 7 members. From what I’ve been told, they’ve gotten positive responses from a majority of the delegates and will be airing the interviews as they are completed.  So far, this is the list:

TEN EVEning News HOT DROP! Interview with CSM Chairman Seleene!

TEN EVEning News 4/9/12 “Interview with CSM Delegate Alekseyev Karrde”

Mike Azariah sent out a series of questions to all the CSM delegates and got responses from several. Interesting format and lots of good answers: Chatting with the Council CSM

– Seleene ~ CSM7 Chairman

[spoiler show=”Did we mess up?”]
We want to give you guys the best possible intel, to post as fast as we can confirm it, but Eve being :Eve: is quite confusing. If we messed up with our intel, please contact us directly [email protected], provide the proof of it and we’ll correct it immediately noting the change and bringing the correction on top of the article list.[/spoiler]

If you would like to send intel or contribute, feel free to use the form below:

[spoiler show=”Submit Intel Here”]

[/spoiler]

1. Lolwat

firstfag denied.

April 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm Reply
  2. none

Were you guys paid to lick CCP snatch?! Eve is full all sorts of horrible problems that need addressed (can you say insanity by PoS or corp roles management) and you want to wank about how awesome CCP's new marketing guy MIGHT be?!!?

April 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm Reply
    1. truefacts

This positive reaction must be the most comprehensive and thoughtful contribution to Eve Online ever.

April 25, 2012 at 5:32 pm Reply
    2. Bob

Isn't ccp releasing a full industrial expansion later this year to solve these problems?

April 25, 2012 at 5:33 pm Reply
      1. none

And the CSM should be discussing exactly those sorts of things with CCP not wanking over their choice of marking guy as their top $^#@*@^& priority!!!

April 25, 2012 at 5:39 pm Reply
      2. We are unsure as to exactly what CCP's plans for Winter are, but several CSM members have publicly advocated their desire to see a full fledged Industrial expansion become reality in the near future. We are putting this on our Summit agenda for discussion next month as well.

April 25, 2012 at 6:14 pm Reply
        1. none

As well as what?! Kissing up to CCP because that's certainly what it looks like given the emphasis in this article.

You would THINK there would be an easy to find, highly visible link to CSM's current priorities, goals, agenda, etc., but NOOOO you add random links to blogs and interviews and highlight how much of a fanboi the CSM is of the #^$^%@& marketing guy.

April 25, 2012 at 6:43 pm Reply
          1. ...

troll much?

April 26, 2012 at 10:45 pm
    3. I'f you would follow any of the links in that blog and listen to or read what several CSM 7 members are saying, then you would have a better grasp of where POS's and other issue fall. Saying that a CCP'er is good at his job is hardly a bad thing.

April 25, 2012 at 6:12 pm Reply
      1. none

Yet the 'Three Big Questions' (bold, underline!) have nothing to do with those 'other issues'. You're either epically bad at communication or lying or both.

April 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm Reply
          1. bagehi

I probably should have posted that one first.

April 25, 2012 at 8:36 pm
          2. none

Well that's a start, but where is the link to a webpage describing CSM's current priorities, goals, agenda, etc. One that is easy to read and covers all the relevant topics with an outline organized by topic, a summary, etc.???? A blog is nice for updates, but updates with NO reference to a core website are just hanging with no context.

April 25, 2012 at 9:03 pm
          3. CareBearStares

Seleene with the trump.

April 26, 2012 at 10:31 pm
  3. !!!!

Mittens for CSM!

April 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm Reply
  4. ppop

TL:DR

We didn't do shit.

April 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm Reply
  5. Basic groundwork set up for the future year it seems. As much as I hate to admit this you've a hell of a legacy to live up to, CSM7.

April 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm Reply
  6. Fishfillet

Dear csm

Please talk to yourselves about removing power projection as a standings restriction to an alliance restriction, this includes jumpbridges, titan bridges, and blackops.

Thanks.

April 25, 2012 at 7:32 pm Reply
    1. Qwerty4812

HAHAHAHA JUMP BRIDGES?? oh my god then why have sov? dude sov should have jb's… it currently is like the ONLY advantage to having sov. titan bridges are way of projecting ur power but i feel need some editing… but jumpbridges? dude have you ever lived in null?

April 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm Reply
      1. M1k3y

Have you? Titan = mobile jump bridge you dont have to wait to install, and can be used in lowsec where you dont even have sov.

Titan jump bridge > Sov requiring jump bridge.

0/10 Troll, the comment about jump bridges being the only advantage of sov was the dead give away lolololololol

April 25, 2012 at 8:27 pm Reply
        1. A Dude

Yeah but if you remove titan bridging along with the current blapping nerf then the titan just becomes an oversized and overpriced dreadnaught. Whats the strategic use of em anymore i.e. why keep em around if they can effectively do nothing useful.

April 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm Reply
          1. Hiro

Looks like people just want them used by thier own alliance only, not thier alliance, and all thier blues, and I tend to agree.

April 28, 2012 at 11:45 pm
      2. Budge

Hahahahahah Qwerty4812 is a retard if he really can't understand what he replyed to, and I have to assume he doesn't with the content of his reply.

It was worded somewhat strange, but if you to retarded to understand english he's basicly what he said…..ten different alliance shouldn't be able to use one alliamces titan to bridge, same with jump bridges, anyone remember old NC's network? It was fucking rediculous, i'm sure goons+pets have something like it, and I totally agree that blues shouln't be able to use them, or titan bridges b/c it just encourages massive blue lists. Blackops i'd be ok with blues using only b/c I don't think blackops are used enough as it is.

April 26, 2012 at 2:01 am Reply
    2. M1k3y

I support the call to nerf titan bridges, but dont see the problem with BLOPs… cant haul much (anything) their jump bridges bridges. I know cloaky transports can go through them, but the range of BLOPs is so limited its better to use a titan and normal freighter

If you have a titan for the price of a SINGLE jump freighter you could buy 3 freighters (1b each) and characters to fly them (unsure of prices but training them doesn't cost too much to do on your own if you use 1 account) and just bridge them onto the highsec gate of a lowsec system, Titan bridges do need a rebalance.

April 25, 2012 at 8:31 pm Reply
  7. Jewstin Buybier

This is gonna be as uninterresting as CSM 1/2/3/4/5 .

April 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm Reply
  8. Someguy

10,000 votes.

Down with the false chair. Out with the illegitimate CSM.

April 25, 2012 at 9:51 pm Reply
  9. Poastin Toaster

nerf tech

April 25, 2012 at 10:56 pm Reply
  10. Space troll

All I see in this post is moar fap fap fap, and booze n gay bars to involve sauseage partys for the june summit, here's one real suggestion, techhitum moons. The resource mechenic needs to be severly overhualed PERIOD! This revenue stream needs to be taken out of the hands of greedy shit bird alliance leaders and transferred to the majjority of the player base by a similar method we use like PI!

April 25, 2012 at 11:01 pm Reply
    1. ...

pi on moons… sounds reasonable to me. Would give something for dust mercs to be involved in too.

April 26, 2012 at 10:43 pm Reply
  11. http://tacticalentertainment.tv/archives/1756
    Just posted the Hans interview
    –Spence
    TEN EVEning News

April 26, 2012 at 3:46 am Reply
  12. leaveittobeaver

you are all a bunch of fucktards.

April 26, 2012 at 3:56 am Reply
  13. Mr_Gr3y

Make the Proteus ridiculously OP.

DOWN WITH TENGU FLEETS!

April 26, 2012 at 4:09 am Reply
    1. ..M..

If only you knew….

April 26, 2012 at 4:19 am Reply
      1. ...

… maybe they should make the rookie ships op… with a titan-killing-submachine -gun-lazer-death-ray. Which also happen to kill tengus.

April 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm Reply
  14. Internet Lawyer

If Mittens were still in the CSM, the updates would be, "I used to be a lawyer in real life you know, so with that in mind, let me remind you how awesome I am. No one apart from me does anything on the CSM, cos I used to be a lawyer in real life. Every change for the better is being driven by me and me alone. As a lawyer in real life, I am pleased to confirm that CCP are looking to improve the game after I demanded them to. CCP do as I say cos I used to be a lawyer in real life."

April 26, 2012 at 5:07 am Reply