Comments

Those outspoken on how CCP Games wouldn’t be able to outdo themselves in the aftermath of the poorly received “I was there” trailer must be silently biting their tongues as they watch CCP Games’ latest PR creation:

Let’s face it, is not easy to “sell” the whole EVE Online experience in a short video, and we’ll talk about this in a second when I release my CSM7 views on new player acquisition and retention. So far the video has been featured in all the major video-game outlets. The video itself has a like/dislike factor of 2:1, but what really calls into attention is the backlash from the viewers commenting in a typical caustic manner. Here is a few golden eggs:

“Well pilot, what are you waiting for?”
“Fucking session timer”

to CCP: next time use cg characters like in-game, not live action trailers

CCP WHY U NO UNDERSTAND HOW HOLOGRAM WORKS?! Also whats the deal with the ever increasing angryness level of your characters?

I totally love the viewers “Bland acting, wouldn’t fuck” neck-beard attitude. Still it’s good to see CCP trying new stuff.

I will end up on a positive note, pointing to the best CCP informational trailer to date:

Eve News24 invites you to show your support by liking our CSM thread, it takes less than a minute and every like makes a ton of difference.

Remember to +1 riverini’s CSM Candidacy post at the official EN24 thread.

[spoiler show=”Did we mess up?”]
We want to give you guys the best possible intel, to post as fast as we can confirm it, but Eve being :Eve: is quite confusing. If we messed up with our intel, please contact us directly [email protected], provide the proof of it and we’ll correct it immediately noting the change and bringing the correction on top of the article list.[/spoiler]

If you would like to send intel or contribute, feel free to use the form below:

[spoiler show=”Submit Intel Here”]

[/spoiler]

1. Kimsemus

That trailer was painful to watch.

There's puke all inside my pod now.

God damnit.

February 18, 2012 at 12:44 am Reply
    1. Lorren Canada

that's gonna take some scrubbing

February 18, 2012 at 1:44 am Reply
      1. bagehi

Just imagine telling that woman to clean your pod out. It is her job.

February 18, 2012 at 3:24 am Reply
        1. someguy

and here I though it was to make me a sandwich . . .

February 18, 2012 at 5:09 am Reply
          1. anotherguy

My chain doesn't run long enough to let her reach the pod and the kitchen

February 18, 2012 at 6:31 am
          2. Random Space Hobo

Hahaha nice, but i guess the amount of thumbs down shows that woman/dishwashers do play eve

February 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm
  2. They need to bring back whoever made the Butterfly Effect and Causality videos.

February 18, 2012 at 12:46 am Reply
    1. yarp

He was an Atlanta employee who got the axe I think.

February 18, 2012 at 1:16 am Reply
      1. That's unfortunate.

February 18, 2012 at 1:19 am Reply
      2. BillyBob

Figures.

February 18, 2012 at 1:23 am Reply
    2. Silentskills

meh, those trailers had a bunch of fake UI effects. And an over glorified vision of EVE. at least this one doesn't blow it out of proportion

February 19, 2012 at 4:15 am Reply
  3. BillyBob

Anemic acting aside, this wasn't the worst thing to ever come out of CCP. People gotta bitch about something i guess.

February 18, 2012 at 12:46 am Reply
    1. Agreed. But since they started including live actors in their videos, the quality seems to have taken a real nosedive. Hence my other command about them needing to bring back whoever made the Butterfly Effect and Causality videos.

February 18, 2012 at 1:01 am Reply
      1. BillyBob

MOAR Dubstep!!!!

But yeah, those were some great trailers.

February 18, 2012 at 1:22 am Reply
        1. " "

oh great more fagstep

February 18, 2012 at 9:18 am Reply
          1. Shadowy guy

Its not fagstep its TweenWave

February 18, 2012 at 2:56 pm
          2. Leg

wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub

February 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm
          3. Trapped
            February 20, 2012 at 6:05 am
      2. bagehi

Butterfly Effect and Causality videos were really good. I did enjoy the "I was there" video. It reminded me of my early days in eve.

February 18, 2012 at 3:23 am Reply
        1. Zeroniss

I really enjoyed the Dominion trailer. Still gives me goosebumps sometimes, thinking about those hot hot hotdrops.

February 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm Reply
        2. Russian edit was WAAAAAAAAAY better.

February 18, 2012 at 9:26 pm Reply
    2. Ralina_F

Well, just imagine if Mintchip was the actor.

Mintchip: Well pilot(glances to the left), soooo, um, what are you waiting for?(bites lip)…..'cause it will be TOTALLY awesome!

It could be worse, I suppose.

February 18, 2012 at 3:12 am Reply
      1. Gumpin

You fool! Do not even suggest such ideas lest they become reality!

February 18, 2012 at 5:08 am Reply
      2. CSM7

Whats your beef with mintchip bro?

February 18, 2012 at 7:16 am Reply
        1. your mum

No tits

February 18, 2012 at 10:23 am Reply
        2. BABY

No tits, whines, can't articulate; standard stupid bitch that needs a gag and time alone with some her ' UM ' 'UH ' bullshit. This is the stupid CUNT that wanted to tell us Goons were invading brnach in the end of January? Lazy bitch.

February 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm Reply
          1. Devil Driver

Good manners, respect, something parents teach their children at a young age. Maybe it's time to grow up or go back to mommy and daddy, ask them to try again.

Watched the trailer once, can't even recall what it was about, obviously didn't make an impression.

February 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm
    3. ZedoTelhado

It's not the worst but its bad.
      It seems everybody forgot CCP fail once in a while…They do ! LOL

February 18, 2012 at 3:02 pm Reply
  4. Meh

Not the best video ive ever seen but the worst? I think not. Sometimes I feel you (riverini) just feel the need to whine about something/anything so everything new CCP attempts is auto crap. Yet again I wasnt blown away with this but it sure as hell wasnt their worst set of videos.

February 18, 2012 at 1:36 am Reply
    1. I got high standards… specially for a company which makes USD 55 mil/year and chestbeats on being the industry leader in many fields.

February 18, 2012 at 4:50 am Reply
      1. Gumpin

wow 55 mill a year.

Better start topping Square Enix CGI level of videos.

This is their attempt at more quality, the problem is they have perfectly good quality videos just using in game graphics and a little post-production polish.

February 18, 2012 at 5:12 am Reply
      2. Gizan

55mil/year? huh what? with the average of 360k?(or was it 720k?) subscribed acccounts its 6.3mil(12.6mil with 720k) before infrastructure/electrical/employee costs.

February 18, 2012 at 5:31 pm Reply
        1. some dude

Then multiply by 12 and you get the yearly figure which is close to riverini's 55mil.

February 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm Reply
        2. Jack

Gizan and Gumpin together; it's like the sexy I never have thanks to eve.

February 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm Reply
      3. Former NC

They do a fuckload better with the cash at their disposal than a certain company that reportedly pulls in $4.5bil a year. Even if you had perfection, I highly doubt you'd be happy with it.

February 18, 2012 at 6:52 pm Reply
        1. Handy Solo

"Even if you had perfection, I highly doubt you'd be happy with it. "

This is golden.

So True, of everyone in Eve.

No matter what you get, you find cause to bitch about it.

February 19, 2012 at 8:07 pm Reply
      4. Meh

(for all the people below me ranting on the 55 mil/yr its pretty accurate in a quick rough estimate) but back to the point… as a bittervet sure dominion seemed like the most accurate to me but for the people they are trying to pull in it did very little other than show people fight with cool looking ships. The "I was there" and these two newest (I was there was worse by a bit) they entice players to show what they can do. Advertising isnt for bittervets its for the people who dont know the game at all and I feel this is a better route than lets say dominion or crucible videos (Ill admit causality and butterfly seemed like the best for both worlds)

February 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm Reply
  5. Tiniff

She was there!

it was real!

February 18, 2012 at 1:39 am Reply
  6. On its own it doesn't make any sense, but played directly after someone logs into an account for the first time, and followed with the previous CIDA/Orientation video, it would fit a lot better.

February 18, 2012 at 1:44 am Reply
    1. PropaGrammar Machine

Yer, it didn't really convey you would be waking up in that clone bay time and again as an immortal space monkey, they should have had you waking up like ten times interspersed with clips of the fight you just died in, gank, sov battle, derp, derp, derp, gudfight, tarp, etc.

February 18, 2012 at 11:52 am Reply
      1. qweq

I really fucking like this idea. Waking up and puking XD

February 18, 2012 at 9:23 pm Reply
  7. Its Me

The video itself isnt bad, its just her voice… its just wrong…

February 18, 2012 at 1:45 am Reply
  8. WOT_owns_EVE

All i gotta i say is that i enjoyed putting likes and dislikes in comments so much more than watching this shitty video (thanks to the RL lady). Honest.

I do have to salute the guys at CCP for putting round things in a lady's hand. It's always good.

February 18, 2012 at 2:01 am Reply
    1. OMFG DON RICO McRICO AS YOUR PROFILE PIC!!!! WIN!

February 18, 2012 at 4:54 am Reply
  9. I don't think it's terrible. Visually it's great in places – the handheld hologram works well and the transparent screen shot is slick, but the CG/live actor mix does give it a dated Westwood Studios Command & Conquer feel. As always the in-space shots are cutting edge.

For me the most jarring part was the dialogue delivery – during the voice-over it was fine, but in the character shots the actress has a tendency of over-annunciate her words, which I found distracting. It's like she's talking to a lip-reader. I suspect she has more theatre experience than studio work.

February 18, 2012 at 2:02 am Reply
  10. Yo momma

Wait… what was wrong with 'I was there' it was a great video that actually showed what fleet combat is like (granted on a fluffy non cookie cutter scale).

February 18, 2012 at 2:05 am Reply
  11. justsharkbait

It was not terrible, but it was not that good either. However, I think that they should show more actual in-game content because that is, after all, what we would be seeing by playing.

As far as I know, EVE is the only game where battles of thousands of players can be going on all over the universe while everyone else can go about there business in the same world.

I wish they would focus more on the overwhelming awe that is EVE instead of short video's about…..whatever it was that was about.

However, the second video was very good. They should do more of that type of video–SHOW EVE don't just TELL ABOUT EVE.

February 18, 2012 at 2:09 am Reply
  12. Scar

Meh it wasn't that bad. I think people are mostly angry cause the chick in the trailer wasn't OMFGHOT, but rather ordinary looking. I think her acting was ment to be somewhat "robotic" She's a tech that probably wakes up 1000s of pilots a day. What do you expect . . .

February 18, 2012 at 2:23 am Reply
  13. fuck goons

i want a really sexy man not some ugly chick, better live action next time!

February 18, 2012 at 2:26 am Reply
  14. Glenn

Agreed, i think it was obviously aimed at people who have never heard of eve, a first video for them them to watch.

I would be more interested to hear what the newbies think of it rather than the bittervets.

February 18, 2012 at 3:08 am Reply
  15. Ravaged

Coming from a video production background, I can tell immediately this has to be a different director / producer. Whereas previous videos felt like they were well thought out and a good story board created prior to production, this felt more thrown together. The script wasn't bad but the actor seemed "awkward", the lighting for the actor needed serious improvements and even the camera angles themselves were "dull". So I'm not at all surprised by the ratio of likes and dislikes.

But I digress. CCP is a gaming company. They specialize in making CG, not movies. So my advice to them, stick with CG even with their videos.

February 18, 2012 at 3:29 am Reply
  16. the Italian

They should have given her a more intimidating, deep voice. But this is better than the "I was there" video, at least there was not any emotive and pizza eating guy in a leatherjacket repeating "it was real I was there oh I was so scared so scared"

February 18, 2012 at 3:39 am Reply
    1. Gumpin

You'd swear they'd have to take that guy out of Star Wars re-screenings for PTSD flash backs of sov battle.

February 18, 2012 at 5:14 am Reply
  17. crazy hun

Isn't she the voice actress of Aura? Maybe the vid isn't the best but I'm just glad I finally saw her.
    you failed you failed you failed to jump because you're cloaked

February 18, 2012 at 3:50 am Reply
  18. I give it props for being experimental as well as semi-interesting. Chick- meh. Could have represented the Caldari better.

However, in response to the people who don't understand how holograms work, depending on room set-ups they *can* be projected across a large area (a la CONCORD billboards at every gate that nobody looks at). Who knows. That might have been a sensor of some sort to find a projection area/point.

… And I'm assuming a clone bay? … Fail. I was expecting a chick dressed in scrubs of white or green welcoming you to space, not a military combat dressed caldari chick saying you woke up fine (see avatar by james cameron when they first test their navi avatars… you get the idea)

6/10- Interesting, but needs serious improvement.

February 18, 2012 at 3:57 am Reply
  19. Trinity

Just gonna leave this here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maMjjUr6zIQ

February 18, 2012 at 6:07 am Reply
  20. Random Miner

I'm not gonna rage about it, but it did really let me down. In game graphics are enough to snag a player. And if it has to be an actual live action one, you could have gotten a totally stacked gallente chick, like all the in game pics depict, that would certainly bring the sex starved virgins… lol

February 18, 2012 at 8:18 am Reply
  21. Thodoros

I would love to see a storyline video for a change.
    Something along the line of the Quantum Rising and see how the 4 empires have been copy after all those years. Also in regard with the FW senarios the Amarr empire along with the Gallente have suffer heavy loses and that should be reflected if is possible.

February 18, 2012 at 9:04 am Reply
    1. ...

I really enjoyed the scope trailers. I will say though… if they ever get around to completing walking in stations… that trailer should have a sports bar where the patrons are watching the alliance tournament. :)

February 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm Reply
  22. Darkeye

I like it. :)

Really!!

February 18, 2012 at 9:07 am Reply
  23. Buggrit

The older video actually informs. "Do the tutorial" "Do the profession" "Start small, aspire to big big ships". "Specialize". "Join a corp".

The other just tells the pilot "This bitch hasn't had any in far too long."

February 18, 2012 at 9:10 am Reply
  24. KK SpaceMarine

that was terrible. are they trying to encourage people to play eve? i dont understand?

February 18, 2012 at 9:52 am Reply
  25. TK144

This one is really poor, but "I Was There" was fine.

February 18, 2012 at 10:08 am Reply
  26. Akrasjel Lanate

Haters gona hate

February 18, 2012 at 10:31 am Reply
  27. fix eve

all they need to get new players, is show explosions in the trailers.

all they need to retain players is
    1) give us new ships to mess with.
    — have special ships that can just be bought with isk.
    2) have npc's seed t2 ships "no more tech"
    — sorry tech is stupid, and make you guys lazy faggots

3) with the current inflation they need to find more ways to take isk out of the game

February 18, 2012 at 10:44 am Reply
    1. Elrondesmith

well nowdays ISK gets out of game when ppl blow POSes up. I suggest something waaay worse – let say every time alliance take station 70% of stuff ppl left behind being trashed due to "collabarate damage to station cargoholds".

Another Idea is creating something like alternative ingame valute u can trade usual market with. Or even letting alliances create own kredit systems. Collapse of Alliance will lead to collapse of theys markets and put some value out of game…

Last idea is just bash economy once in while in same way Incursions appears… Like running big 2008 inside some systems – like Jita economy crysis.

February 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm Reply
  28. Jokus

I wouldn't renew my clone contract with that provider if someone yells at me everytime I die. I want a happy and cheerful welcome in my new body. A bright medical bay. A friendly nurse for a few last checkups of my memory – flashbacks for in game footage here – that reminds me in a colloquial manner to renew my clone contract to prevent any damage when I die the next time.

February 18, 2012 at 11:19 am Reply
  29. Dino

The "I was there" video was great

February 18, 2012 at 11:46 am Reply
  30. a random goon

tits or gtfo

February 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm Reply
  31. crazy hun

Isn't she the voice actress of Aura? Maybe the video isn't the best but I'm just glad I finally saw her.

February 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm Reply
  32. KBwhore

Scr*w u all :))

All good trailer maker, in ccp, were replaced by accounting dickhead, ergo: play & pay it, otherwise fuckoff !!!

February 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm Reply
  33. incursions

"Remember the rewards of exploring the universe scale with the risks"

… unless you are running incursions up in highsec. Then the risk vs reward is all screwed up.

February 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm Reply
  34. noob pilot

eve is boring

February 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm Reply
    1. imbitterbiteme

yes it is.

February 19, 2012 at 3:55 am Reply
  35. Carlos

i did not like either the use of an actual person instead of animation BUT animation is faster and saves money.

February 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm Reply
  36. Former NC

Honestly would have preferred it if they used the new Incarna characters for this. The woman from this just looks like Claudia Black, the chick who played Aeryn Sun from Farscape.
    Seriously. Watch it back now you've read this, and imagine she's being a bitch to Crichton.

February 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm Reply
  37. La LoLa

The "I was there" video is prolly the best of all eve videos

February 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm Reply
  38. DarthNefarius

Keep up the complaints & the next trailer will feature Bjork attacking a nerdy neckbeard like yourself in the CQ with EveNews24 on the giant TV then her tossing your corpse into the hanger!

February 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm Reply
  39. Clouddog

Not every trailer is topnotch, many of them are, who really really cares?
    Btw anyone know how i can contact her?
    i would love to take her to Mcdonalds on a date and then maybe go back my parents house and drink some wine.

February 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm Reply
  40. Paul

This isnt the worst trailer they made. But it doesnt represent the actual game. Its a rendered trailer with graphics and gameplay that are not in the actual game. If the game was like any of these or previous trailers the game would be amazing. This again is CCP doing their old thing. CCP trying to boost EVE with trailers like this is bad. Fake promises.

February 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm Reply
  41. avegretion

I think we can all agree that the best trailers were the ones between Dominion and Tyrannis.

February 18, 2012 at 8:51 pm Reply
  42. newsoul

She's an ELF !

February 18, 2012 at 10:30 pm Reply
  43. hirrrrr

disorientating is not a word

February 19, 2012 at 6:14 am Reply
  44. Orion

From a new player, I liked it. So I was surprised to read this!

February 19, 2012 at 6:27 am Reply
  45. Anonymous

disorientating seems like the wrong word, shouldn't they have just said disorienting?

February 19, 2012 at 8:45 am Reply
  46. thedude

The dominion trailer was awesome this new trailer is fucking retarded .. "I was there" one was ok, but this chick in the video i dont know theres something about her that i just dont like.

February 19, 2012 at 10:04 am Reply
  47. NullSecHoBo

What crap is this… Trust CCP to compensate for nice things by coming up with complete and utter shit.

February 19, 2012 at 10:05 am Reply
  48. Bob_the_Bitcher

Who cares – play the game, not the ball!

February 19, 2012 at 8:43 pm Reply
  49. Melon

To me, this trailer is just devoid of any information. If I was new to EVE and watched this trailer, I wouldn't know a teensy bit more after it was over.

February 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm Reply