Last time we reported on GoonSwarm Federation, they had announced their intention to invaded the Branch region. Some Goonswarm members haz been calling out Eve News24 as part of an “information blackout” on the matter. The truth is we didn’t feel like covering it until now. Well, that and the we were celebrating the holidays IRL. To be honest there is too much “crap” in the k.com thread that covering this conflict isn’t fun at all. This stems mostly from the fact that reading countless pages of Tourettes inducing posts in both K.com and FHP is not how we want to spend our scarce free time. Secondly, the fact that no matter how accurate these reports could ever get (within our limitations), someone will inevitably bitch about the accuracy of our report on any goon event isn’t a good incentive either. While it is our mission to provide our readers with the best possible intel, we have refused to rely on intel from other websites.

Information submitted battle-reports, our friends within various alliances involved in whatever combat we are reporting on, as well as independent sources tend to be more accurate and far less time consuming than attempting to glean information among posts about which My Little Pony is best. If we missed something or some other site reported on it in more detail, then bravo to them.

Having said this let’s get to the meat of what we know about the current war in the north.

So it began… the Greatest Shit-Storm of our time – DekCo Invades Branch – Part one.

The GoonSwarm Federation had announced a full scale attack on the Branch region almost a week ago in their State of the Goonion address, the announcement was met with both bewilderment and uncertainty: GoonSwarm Federation was finally going on an offensive war. This time, for a change, against an entity which was not entirely in life support (as in IT Alliance).

While not exacly in “life support”, White Noise. isn’t in tip-top shape either; there is a nearly inactive leadership, fleeing FC’s, a coup attempt nearly two (2) weeks ago and their home region is in a vulnerable position with most of their fleet and the fleets of their allies staged in Cache, only an irrational optimist would call for a positive outcome for White Noise. On the other hand this invasion could be seen as both a blessing and a curse for White NoiseDOT. as history has shown repeatedly how an external threat can server as a great “unifying factor” for troubled alliances (goonswarm itself is what it is today because of surviving a similar onslaught from BoB years ago), albeit facing the biggest coalition in game could in fact prove troublesome for White Noise.

GoonSwarm Federation sole interest in Branch are of course the Technetium moons and other high valuable moons in the region. At least, that’s what they preach on the corner. Taking a closer look gives away the real motivations behind this move. The truth is that the GoonSwarm Federation and by relation the Deklein Coalition would be in no position to beat what was the Drone Russian Forces when they defeated and disbanded the Northern Coalition. They lacked the super-capitals or the numbers to beat the old DRF. Yes we make this statement knowing that the Drone Russian Forces tried once to kill GoonSwarm Federation. They were stopped right at the doorsteps of the GoonSwarm Capital region, Deklein. A combination of game mechanics favoring the defender, metagaming, war weariness, A-Team creating a second front for DRF in the south, old bromance between goons and xDeath, Pandemic Legion’s pilots spending less time in Eve and more time in other multiplayers, and a shift from retaliatory war to a war of aggression left the invading DRF at a distinct disadvantage they did not have months prior when they began fighting back against the Northern Coalition. The war against the goons may have, indeed been a catalyst in the breakup of the DRF.

Knocking down White Noise. and Raiden. is a goal of both morale and strategic value to GoonSwarm Federation as picking one by one the members of the former Drone Russian Federation would ensure at least another year of uncontested freedom from any sort of realistic counter. For WhiteNoise. their current situation is almost indefensible since the only ally that could really give them a hand is Raiden. who have been stood down for a while, content to carebear and drop on weak targets of opportunity. Not to mention many in Raiden have some morale-crushing memories of fighting goons in the not too distant past while under the IT banner. It is no secret that many of GoonSwarm Federation’s old archnemesis, BoB/Kenny/IT now make up Raiden. and should they join the conflict (as they did by pre-emptive striking several GSF moons in Venal) would of course open some old wounds into otherwise uninterested pilots.

Is GoonSwarm Federation: the New BoB?

We should make a pause here and have a reflexion. To us (Eve News24) the actions of GoonSwarm Federation and the Deklein Coalition are perfectly understandable, they are looking to perpetuate their hegemony in null-sec, just as Band of Brothers/IT alliance, the Northern Coalition and the Drone Region Forces did before them. The real question is: How much time will pass until they become what they (claim to) hate the most? Goons are increasingly reviled the way BoB used to be. Goons already exude a similar douchebaggery that led to large swaths of null sec alliances banding together to kill BoB in its many incarnations. Could this even be possible? I remember when, during my noobish starts in high-sec, whenever someone asked a reference about BoB one would be quick to get an irate response on how dick-ish they were. Mention goons in local in high sec now, and you will be presented with many of the same comments that BoB used to get. Is it the natural progression of things? Is it an evolutionarily flawed path that is to be relived?

Branchnetium Empire

The attack started almost immediately after the Stage of the Goonion announcement. The GSF went on a furious moon reinforcement tirade which snowballed as more and more of their allies joined in. The lead FCs were an classic favorites: Goonswarm’s DaBigRedBoat, Lazarus Telraven, and Mr. Vee along with Lake from “Gentlemen’s Club Agreement”. In the words of Mitten’s as the first day came to a close, they reinforced a ton of systems and “TCU’d a ton of shit” White Noise. hadn’t claimed, WN. response was “tepid” at best. After this they moved into WhiteNoise assets, hitting both sovereign structures and Capital Ship Assembly arrays. A Fidelas Constans pilot gave us this account for the first days of the operation:

Beginning of 3rd day of operations in the holy crusade to sterilize Branch of the RMT-led infection that plagues it. First fleet formup of the day, people are talking shit in fleet and linking porn in local while sitting on the titan waiting to go shoot at hopefully more than structures.

Sadly so far White Noise. has been so elusive that CFC has had to go look for fights in Raiden. space to make up for the tedium of sov warfare.

Suddenly, a scout camping a jump beacon reports 4 Jump Freighters operating without scouts. Cyno goes up almost immediatly, 4 Jump Freighters are burned in less than 2 minutes, glee ensues for the glorious armies of the swarm.

As I write this story, we have just defeated a joint fleet of White Noise. Raiden. and, SURPRIsE, Red Alliance. Here is the extremely confusing battle-report.

We are now destroying two CSAA POSs, while the enemy bombers keep making failed bombing runs. Victory lies ahead.

Capsuleers, do not sit idle and watch, for a meaningless recruitment fee you will be able to join the holy forces of anti RMT Jihad.

Eve-Kill LINKAGE

FCON Battle Summary

It’s also worth noting the battle that took place at B-GC1T on December 20th, spanning half an hour, White Noise. and Red Alliance along some Raiden. elements formed out and stood against the DekCo attack on a Dark Blood Tower with a CSAA. It was ultimately taken down by DekCo but, in this battle White Noise. lost a recently built Nyx, a Thanatos and half a HellCat fleet to DekCo AlphaCats, marking the first super capital loss of the conflict. Here is a the video of the engagement.

Eve-Kill Nyx Killmail
Eve-Kill Battle Report

Fun for the whole Family

The hostilities continued with GoonSwarm maintaining the upper hand in almost every single engagement, a Fidelas Constant newcomer decided to bring us his view for December 21th hostilities, the fateful date of the four downed Jump Freighters:

Multiple form-ups were advertised for today, as IHUB's and POS towers came out of reinforcement. White Noise had several CSAA's that were in danger of being destroyed. They planned to form up for the 14:30 op, bringing bombers and led by one of the most dangerous bomber FC's in the game.

It's too bad their Jump Freighter pilots jumped to a cyno beacon. Main fleet bridged on top of them, destroying over 100 bombers and 400 bombers. They also lost over 50 battleships worth of 1400mm T2 guns and fittings, as well as some 1330 T2 Ballistic Control Systems T2.

Related KB link

But that's not the worst of it. As our fleets went off to engage their CSAA's (which came out of reinforcement today), they mounted a defense. Many, many Abaddons died today. TNT lost only a few ships. As one of the POS towers was dying, and people mashing the "lock" button to kill the CSAA, a Nyx warps in and lands in bubbles. DBRB invited the hostile Nyx pilot to fleet and promptly fleet warped him outside the safety of his POS shield.

Hilarity ensued as the Nyx actually died faster than the CSAA.

Mixed nuts

This part was actually hilarious. If you happen to live in any decent Null-Sec alliance you are bound to encounter several upsides like jump clones, intel channels and of course a ship reimbursement program. Well, normally the ship reimbursement program is handled via forums, for some reason the White Noise. ones were handled via eve-mail by Lee Chanka. He was reading the mail killboard link and replying with a “paid” note while sending the money at the same time. Some meta-savvy Dek Co pilots took notice of this and started emailing him White Noise. loss-mails from non-DekCo alts, to their surprise the “reimbursements” began shortly, at least over a billion isk was sent to GoonSwarm pilots using this scheme.

The Branch market was also raided by DekCo tycoons who ran rampant through White Noise. space and nearly emptied the market of strategic assets, reportedly spending over 20 billion isk in the task. This greatly disrupted their market supply, increasingly the severe impact of the aforementioned Jump Freighter losses.

[spoiler show=”Show alliance update”]

ALLIANCE UPDATE!!!IMPORTANT!!!