As originally posted here.

Dev Blog: Little Improvements – Making the world a little better

Hi!
I‘m going to tell you about a few of the UI improvements team BFF have been working on for Crucible.

Corporation Wallet Tooltip
For pilots who manage corporation wallets it can be handy to see the corporation wallet balance when you hover on the wallet button in the Neocom, instead of your personal wallet balance. We added a setting for those pilots, in the settings tab in the wallet, so they can choose to see the selected corporation wallet division‘s balance when they hover over the wallet button.

Click to enlarge

World Map Control Panel stays minimized
This was a special feature request by CCP Greyscale, he doesn‘t like to minimize the World Map Control Panel each time he opens the map, so now the window will stay minimized if you leave it like that when you exit the map. (Team BFF trivia: One beautiful Saturday in October, CCP Greyscale right clicked everything in EVE, everything!)

Insurance info improved
When you would show info on your ship, there was an isurance tab with some information about the insurance status on your ship. We moved that information to the main part of the info window and made it more obvious. Now you can easily see what insurance you have on your ship, or more importantly if you may have forgotten to insure it.

Click to enlarge

Skill info improved
I often have a hard time knowing what group a skill belongs to. To make this easier to find out, we made some improvements in the info window on a skill. When you show info on a skill now, it will show you which group it belongs to, and tell you the training status of it. That way you can easily see what level you have trained the selected skill to, if it‘s in active training or scheduled in the skill queue. It will also tell you if you don‘t have the skill injected.

Click to enlarge

Skill queue improved
One of my favorite UI changes for  winter is that, instead of finding a skill you‘re already training in your list of skills to add next level to the training queue, you can now shift click said skill, and drag it to add next level to the training queue. No worries, you can still drag skills around in the skill queue to reorder them.

We also made some visual improvments on the skill queue and skills in training. A skill that‘s in training is now highlighted with a pretty blue color in your list of skills. The blinky box for a skill in training has now been colored blue to go with the indication of skills in the training queue.

Click to enlarge

That‘s all for now!

CCP Punkturis

1. World Map Control Panel.

God I hate that thing.

Scouts and probers thank you Greyscale

November 21, 2011 at 7:29 pm Reply
    1. this is the sort of stuff they should integrate into EveGate tbh…

November 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm Reply
      1. Former NC

Anybody else noticed how Riv's comments are almost always negrep'd to death yet he's got 79p?

November 22, 2011 at 12:34 am Reply
        1. anatlasgoon

Well, my comments get overwhelming positive rep yet I'm still way in the red. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with IntenseDebate.

EDIT: Oh hey, I'm only -1p. Look at that.

November 22, 2011 at 1:14 am Reply
          1. It seems to me that gained from individual comments does not update your total until your next post.

This post is a test of that theory.

EDIT: Test Complete, Hypothesis Dis-confirmed

November 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm
        2. he may run the site, but that doesn't mean we have to like him.

November 22, 2011 at 2:25 am Reply
      2. Lorren Canada

fucking retarded :)

November 23, 2011 at 4:01 pm Reply
  2. Manly

CCP is kinda brilliant.. tho slightly autistic 😀

The Savant of the Gaming Industry lol

November 21, 2011 at 7:41 pm Reply
  3. Anon

I'd be incredibly happy if they just kept doing stuff like this tbh and optimizing their end (aka the code) so they stop screwing random things up with each expansion 😛

November 21, 2011 at 7:59 pm Reply
  4. Trader John

For those of us who do lots of market trading in different places, it would be REALLY GREAT if you could filter your Wallet -> Orders tab by region and location in both the selling and buying sections. Right now the thing is a damn clunky beast. Seriously. If I want to view the status of just my Amarr orders, why can't I?

November 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm Reply
    1. OldHead

Time to create separate but equal trading alts.

November 22, 2011 at 1:20 am Reply
    2. anatlasgoon

What would be REALLY cool is if I could see market details in a region where I have an order when I'm not in said region. I know, I should have a trading alt in the region to watch the order, and I don't think I should be able to modify it from a different region, but do I want to make 20 jumps just to see if I'm being undercut? No.

November 22, 2011 at 1:25 am Reply
  5. druid_cilnok

Nice to see more improvements.

The ability to edit where someone sits on the watch list, would be nice improvement when you get to it, Thanks ccp :)

November 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm Reply
    1. lemming

This, a million times this…

November 22, 2011 at 3:14 am Reply
  6. Imigo

Iteration in an Agile company – Revolutionary!

November 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm Reply
    1. Bob_the_Bitcher

I suspect that comment escaped most people! lol – but ironically quite true…

November 22, 2011 at 12:01 am Reply
    2. Yes.I think this could be great in a Agile company

November 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm Reply
  7. sadfs

Now they just need to implement killmails for people who selfdestructed…

November 21, 2011 at 8:57 pm Reply
    1. CnC

Actually, they should only generate a lossmail without any reference to damage received. A successful self destruct should only log that the ship was destroyed and the usual other killmail details (cargo, equipped modules, drops, etc).

It should remain a valid way of a pilot saying "I shall have the last word, &@%& you!" but also make sure to log the actual loss of a ship.

November 21, 2011 at 9:39 pm Reply
      1. anonymous

All i can complain about with self destruct is that 2 mins is a very short time for capitals and supercapitals so it should be changed to at least 5 -10 mins.

November 22, 2011 at 3:00 am Reply
  8. ze german

looking foreward to the day when eve is perfect and NOONE has ANY reason to complain anymore. this will be in like a 100 years…. i should stop smoking…

November 21, 2011 at 9:23 pm Reply

420

November 22, 2011 at 8:27 pm
        2. aaah

never stop posting

November 22, 2011 at 8:27 pm Reply
  9. Gumpin

A tidy list of things that might go unsung, but will provide a level of information worlds above what we have now.

Team BFF, trying to make eve User Friendly.

God speed and good luck. (maybe the cliff can just be vertical instead of curving over itself someday)

November 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm Reply
  10. Bob_the_Bitcher

Actually a good was made in an earlier post somewhere! CCP is not fixing anything. They are introducing new features related to existing functionality agree with Anon; hopefully CCP continues with ongoing improvements like this.

Hilmar, please keep Team BFF and Team Papercuts alive. They seem to make you look good! This is clearly an opportunity for you to buff your standings with the "Player Faction".

November 22, 2011 at 12:07 am Reply
  11. Indygo

team bff +1 for each new feature, any more coming?

November 22, 2011 at 10:39 am Reply
  12. Hakkon

how about just giving the player base a API they could mod the game UI from? that would cost very little and give very mutch to the game. I for one don't understand why/how CCP don't do this.

cost very little and gives alot of options to the player community, back when i was playing WOW it was unbearable for me to play without addons and the same when i tried RIFT.

November 22, 2011 at 3:19 pm Reply
  13. riverini's mom

riverinis best articles are those he don't edit

November 22, 2011 at 5:05 pm Reply
  14. SG Goonslap

"Little Improvements" – so very true. But whats new. Simply adding a button to a window is considered a noteworthy improvement to the UI worth mentioning specifically in patch notes. Only took 8 years to add hotkeys. Oh but they had hotkeys before that ? No shift+alt+F1+wtf isnt a hotkey its a key combo, a hotkey is ONE KEY, guess it took 8 years for the menu-headed simpletons to break out of the click-fest and figure out the difference.

Now since I finally realize CCP can only handle little tiny things at a time every 6 months or so, here are a couple of simple things that are needed, I won't bother with any of the more complicated stuff this should be enough to keep the devs scratching their heads for the next 6 months.

First: add a directional indicator to the tactical overlay, I don't imagine I would have to look out the spaceship window to see what direction I'm going in hopefully the ships on-board navigation systems would have a decent readout, so it would stand to reason I don't need to zoom in on my ship to make sure its still heading away from the enemy instead of having been mis-clicked and heading straight into the enemy. There is almost nothing in the way of event feedback in the UI as to the activation of modules, status of ship navigationm, etc, etc things the are VERY important to know and have confirmed.

Second: Add counters to missile groups on the UI. If I only need to fire 4 volleys at a target then deactivate the mod I would like to know clearly when 4 volleys have been launched. No the cycle rings are not accurate and no I'm not going to sit there staring at them for 4 cycles when I have other things requiring attention on the screen. Also along these lines, automatically resume fire when a weapon group has reloaded.

Third: ah nevermind, this is alot to throw at the devs at once, I will post more in another 6 months.

If you lack imagination on how to do any of this, just ask I had already coded the mechanics and designed the UI behaviour as an afterthought as I was typing. Yeah thats how it should work.

November 27, 2011 at 9:37 am Reply