Comments

Welcome back to my column. Iā€™m mirroring posts from my blog at amerrylifeandashortone.blogspot.com. Not all of them are going to be column worthy, but expect one or two a month. As should be expected from the title, there is no topic beyond what I feel like writing about.

“Well, do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?”
Well my glove compartment is locked so is the trunk and the back
And I know my rights so you gon’ need a warrant for that
“Aren’t you sharp as a tack, you some type of lawyer or something’?”
“Or somebody important or somethin’?”

Jay-Z – 99 Problems

If you buy a Plex ingame, CCP doesn’t make much money off you. Essentially you’re paying 2.50 extra for your subscription. It’s something, but nothing impressive. A while back someone told me that we should all just buy plex ingame one month to protest CCP. I had to explain to them that would actually make CCP MORE money since it costs slightly more for 30 days of plex than 30 days of subscription. Even if you’re not paying CCP anything, someone is providing the Plex.

Let’s take a step back a year or so. Plex used to be tied to the station it was generated in, you couldn’t move it. For a long time this was the status quo, then some guy(we’ll call him Jeff) came into the room while people were talking about plexes.

They talked about some random shit for a while, then Jeff asked what the obvious question: “Wait, they can’t be moved? Why?”

And the apparently obvious answer was “Oh, so they can’t be destroyed,”

Then Jeff crinkled his forehead and said something that made everyone else in the room feel pretty stupid, “Why not? They’ve already paid us for them,”

So a patch later, they were mobile. And some idiot loses thousands of dollars of them in a Kestrel. What does this have to do with today? Lets take a look at Aurum.

I’ve modified the currency cycle to be a bit more honest
HONEST

This is a new way to destroy plexes, and to actually get something from them. So it goes without saying that this is probably a positive for people that don’t like Incarna to start with. It mean the subscription costs won’t be going towards these projects. This is a way for CCP to make money to go towards Incarna related development, plain and simple.

So if it’s plain and simple, why am I rambling on about it? The issue I have with this is the way they’re presenting it to me. Lets just say that Jeff may’ve had some input on these things.

Lets take a look at this and this.

Now there is some serious nerd rage going on about the flimsy ingame reasoning. I’m not going to address that, because those people are missing the point. The reason CCP has to shoehorn in a flimsy ingame reason for it is because this will make them more money.

Aurum will be essentially plex, and it has a real money cost. If you lose it ingame, you are putting more money into CCP’s pocket.

This rant was about 80% less angry than I wanted it to be, because honestly I don’t blame CCP. I actually find the nerd rage more annoying.

1. mr man

Is there somethign wrong with CCP wanting to make more money?

June 3, 2011 at 3:57 am Reply
    1. Sick Jack

not at all … If carebears spend their money, the issue is actually how CCP will spend their money … if it is to improve all aspects of the game it is perfectly fine (ex. improving 0.0 mechanics, less laggy battles and etc)

June 3, 2011 at 4:02 am Reply
      1. Anon

Given how many things are wrong with the damn game, wouldn't it be a better use of their time and effort to FIX the game, rather than add this vanity stuff to it? We all know what's going to happen – they'll get wrapped up in the new income stream and continue to fix things at the same rate they do now… which is… never…

June 3, 2011 at 9:47 pm Reply
  2. I'd like to first point out that this money doesn't "go toward" anything. All money CCP makes goes onto their books in a big lump. From this lump, they pay salaries, data center upkeep, Nordic armorsmiths, and much more. Welcome to Accounting 101.

"It mean the subscription costs won’t be going towards these projects. This is a way for CCP to make money to go towards Incarna related development, plain and simple."

This statement is massively incorrect, as I explained above. It's like suggesting that purchasing a sweater at Macy's results in profit only for the sweater factory. Wrong. If no one buys sweaters (or Aurum), then the sweater knitters (Incarna devs) still get paid (development resources).

June 3, 2011 at 4:30 am Reply
    1. Hallan_Turrek

Actually it's more like realizing that stealing a sweater from a store can result in someone in the store itself getting fired because the bottom line is one sweater short, even if they work in the pharmacy. Incarna stuff will cost money to develop and they ARE going to develop it, so if CCP doesn't increase profits one way, they'll increase it with subscription costs.

Ironically this is your exact point, but I'm not sure if you're taking it to it's logical conclusion.

June 3, 2011 at 5:12 am Reply
      1. darth derper

You make is seem like CCP isn't making enough money, they wont increase sub cost's and no one is holding a gun to the players head to spend their money on this game. CCP is just developing a way for them to make more money but in the end its up to the player to acctually spend it.

June 3, 2011 at 11:33 am Reply
      2. Annyong Broski

PLEX FOR FACTION WAR DEVELOPMENT!

June 4, 2011 at 7:19 pm Reply
  3. Serpentine Logic

IMO, your clothing being destroyed is sad, but that's the price you pay for it not being 'soul bound' to your character or account.

Non issue.

June 3, 2011 at 4:34 am Reply
    1. Shattershark

Actually let's take a look at context, shall we?

Hallan points to this:
      " Originally by: Bienator IIThe main question here is:
      will i be able to take your monocle if i pod you? :)
      No, clothing is destroyed when you get podded, but if you had a stack on monocle's in your cargo hold they will drop like normal."

Unless someone can point me at CCP telling "once you're podded you lose your monocle/pants/whatever if you had them on at the time" it's just "NO, YOU CAN'T LOOT THAT STUFF FROM POD'S WRECK".

Most posters would never let text comprehension stand in the way of nerd rage.

June 4, 2011 at 9:11 am Reply
  4. Someguy

Noting CCP's track record on patches…I've notified the FCC prior to this release. If they can figure out a way to make tengu's fly backwards during a UI patch it only stands to reason there is going to be one hell of alot of 'wardrobe malfunctions' in eve soon.

June 3, 2011 at 5:05 am Reply
  5. Johann

Wow, shit like this makes me glad that I'm let my multiple accounts expire. CCP = Experts at the 'Reacharound'. All the way into your wallet.

June 3, 2011 at 5:32 am Reply
  6. Seditious Spyke

sumamrising, if you use aurum to get clothes and get podded the clothes your avatar was wearing at the time get destroyed, k.

New rule to add to the list of flyign around in eve "make sure you avatar is wearing nothing before undocking" skip to me fucking loo my darling job done.

June 3, 2011 at 6:47 am Reply
  7. NoNameNoNumber

congratulations, you just managed to put up an article even worse than previous ones – personally i thought that line was allready reached.

First ofcourse CCP is making (more) money of this. and they should. They are a company after all that needs to pay their Devs, who can feed their famillies from that money – thats something you really should expect of someone who does business.

But then your claim:
    "I guess I shouldn’t expect CCP to admit “We’re doing it because we want more money,” but we all know it.";

THEY EVEN SAID THAT IN THEIR FUCKING DEVBLOG, let me quote from there for you:

QUOTE:
    The problem with customizability, however, is the amount of time and resources needed to produce unique items and variations. Bear in mind that our HQ is a renovated fish processing plant, not the Wonka factory, and we're fresh out of Oompa Loompas to build these incredible things. So we're left with the question of how to give you the customizability and uniqueness you want without simply raising the subscription rate.

Enter virtual goods sales.

We want to balance the creation and production of such variations and customizability against the actual demand for it. The best way to do that is by having a direct connection between income of these items bought and how many we produce. To put it extremely bluntly; we will be providing these vanity items through direct sales from in-game.

ENDQUOTE

now seriously
    how the hell do you get from that that they are not honest about their intentions? they CLEARLY state its about money AND its direct sales of in-game stuff.

June 3, 2011 at 6:48 am Reply
    1. sour

u my friend talk like a man who was born like yesterday. may i suggest u dont login today and try read a book or have a converstion with ur fellow human beings. maybe then u ll get a valid idea of whats the world about and how it works.

June 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm Reply
      1. Annoying Broski

For a man critiquing the intellectual capacity of another, you sure have difficulty spelling out simple words correctly.

June 4, 2011 at 7:17 pm Reply
  8. anonymous

Destroying money … that's USA Today level. It's almost like those hulkageddon brainiacs that claim they've "destroyed" thousands of dollars, though they only tilted some bits and bytes in a database that doesn't belong to a bank.
    You can't destroy money only central banks can do that. You can only waste your money for "nothing" and that's the case here.

But on the rest I have to agree completely.

June 3, 2011 at 7:11 am Reply
    1. sour

"You can't destroy money only central banks can do that"

even central banks cant do that. u cant destroy something that doesnt exist in the first place anyway šŸ˜›

June 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm Reply
      1. anonymous

They "destroy" stocks, effectively taking out money on the market.
        Even when you burn bank notes or crush coins you aren't destroying money, you are destroying currency. Effectively destroying your possibility to use that money.

Yeah, I know, economics definition crap, but that's how it is ;).

June 3, 2011 at 6:06 pm Reply
  9. Hallan Turrek Hater

dude your so self centered

June 3, 2011 at 8:10 am Reply
  10. Meuterer

To much letters. It all can be summed up to "driving consumption up". And that's it. "destroy" is only derivative of this, and only one derivative.

June 3, 2011 at 10:43 am Reply
  11. Angry Bird

What is wrong with mobile plex and CCP making more money? Only a fools complain when they undock from Jita 4-4 with 2k US$ worth of plex in a t1 frig and gets popped. Nerd rage = best rage, delicious tears šŸ˜€

June 3, 2011 at 11:42 am Reply
  12. anonymous

I don't get it why some people are so terrified by this kind of RMT.
    Incarna is nothing you will be forced to use, non of those items will have any impact on the game, everything that you can buy is nothing more than superficial crap.
    And even if you want to change your Portrait so badly then buy that stuff via ISK apply it to your character, create a portrait and resell that stuff.

June 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm Reply
    1. sour

u d be surprised but there r some online games out there where the only difference between chars is clothing and crap like that. those games also make profit…

June 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm Reply
      1. anonymous

Come one. This is EVE Online, since when do we play for the prestige of items?
        I'm a pure PvPer and give a crap about that stuff.

June 3, 2011 at 5:55 pm Reply
  13. I will pay good isk to be able to paint my ships in corp livery. Or in pink hello Kitty livery. Either is good.

June 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm Reply
  14. Lille

Stripper pole!! I knew that my exotic dancer would come in handy some day :)

June 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm Reply
  15. sour

on other news the new update was shit. 500mb of absolute nothing plus i feel like the game is "heavier" on my laptop. atm i closed all my alt accounts, transfered my best alt to my main and pay for the main account with isk. soz ccp but i aint paying ur bs anymore.-

June 3, 2011 at 2:23 pm Reply
  16. anon

Err what, are you retarded? If you buy PLEX someone else payed for you subscription. Someone HAS to pay the sub price, and that is the only way that PLEXes are created. If you buy plex you just gave isk for someone's rl $$. CCP doesn't give a fuck who paid for it, PLEX are even better for them.

June 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm Reply
  17. Granth

Aurum is necessary to ensure extra income, as a subdivision of PLEX. If they did it through ISK more people would buy plexes to get isk for it right? At first, yes, but the accumulation of plex is limited to how many people will stock in advance, and thats limited unless they expect a price increase. If there's too many in the warehouses, isk price goes down until new equilibrium which, in the long run, will make little difference. More people will unsubscribe and use plexes. On a monthly average, subscriptions + plexes spent = active accounts. So they've made, not an ISK SINK, but a PLEX SINK.

Incoming money = subscriptions + plexes
    Plexes = plexes used for accounts + plexes destroyed in transit + plexes destroyed for aurum
    Active accounts = subscriptions + plexes used for accounts
    So incoming money goes up up. Wonder how much.
    In fact plexes going up means some people who've been subbing with isk will now sub directly – so more money – and more plexes are being destroyed.
    It will be ridiculous, monocles that cost more than a t2 fit cruiser and do absolutely nothing. Implants are useful, bling is not.
    I did not even bother to make a new face for my character so I couldn't care less about the wardrobe. Will make a point to use nothing whatever of that crap, and if they make us use orange jumpsuits thats what I'll be on.
    BUT as mercedes and BMW can attest, status and external signs of wealth sell and sell very well, so I support this idea. Yes, I really do. I think of it as a tax on vanity, and thats good. If it delays them from raising subscription, its stellar.

June 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm Reply
  18. mymindisglowing

"I had to explain to them that would actually make CCP MORE money since it costs slightly more for 30 days of plex than 30 days of subscription. Even if you’re not paying CCP anything, someone is providing the PLEX."

This is not true if the Plex was bought with isk, and you are confused. Clear your confused head and listen.

When a normal subscriber pays with PLEX, he is _forgoing_ paying the cash that he would normally pay that month to pay with the PLEX. Instead of getting paid twice, once by the guy who created the PLEX in its initial purchase and once by the subscriber's cash, CCP is only getting paid once and NOT getting the subscriber's cash that month.

Put another way, that a PLEX gets destroyed is not relevant to CCP receiving actual cash value for it. An unused PLEX can sit on the market until the game shuts down and dies and CCP will _always_ have already been paid for it the moment it was created. What happens to a PLEX after it is actually created is not directly relevant to CCP, it is only relevant to the the in-game economy. But CCP has gotten their real money value whether the PLEX is eventually destroyed or whether the game just ends one day, so long as the PLEX has entered the in-game market.

(If someone is just sitting on a PLEX he bought to pay for his game time, maybe he might have some kind of argument for a refund; I don't know. But that's the only possible exception.)

June 3, 2011 at 11:10 pm Reply
    1. mymindisglowing

*(If someone is just sitting on a PLEX he bought with cash to pay for his game time, maybe he might have some kind of argument for a refund; I don't know. But that's the only possible exception.)

June 3, 2011 at 11:12 pm Reply